Panasonic PT-50LC13

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Panasonic PT-50LC13

Postby alsie731 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Yellow spot in the center of my scree - any suggestions on what it is and how to fix

Eddie

Re: Panasonic PT-50LC13

Postby Eddie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:32 am

--

Eddie

alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alsie731 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:02 pm

cannot get a pic of the yellow spot - it really is hard to show it up unless picture is showing white in the center area such as a hockey game (ice area) or a picture that is of a lighter color in that area - area on middle of the screen is around a 6" area almost a circle to a egg shape - will try and get a pic when I can get a program that will show it up - am going to try and remove back of set to vacumm accumulated dust and clean where I can get to - probably the kiss of death - spot at this point is in a way livable - but drives me crazy at times - always looking for it - when shutting off set it does not show yellow spot left on screen - set purchased 1/04 - appreciate greatly your reply Eddie

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Attachments
faulty-d-ila-or-lcd-chip.jpg
A bad LCD chip can ruin your day... and you may be better off buying a new TV.
faulty-d-ila-or-lcd-chip.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 29763 times
639px-Lcos.svg.png
LCD Projection Technology goes by many different names. This one is LCoS.
639px-Lcos.svg.png (26.49 KiB) Viewed 29762 times
--

Eddie

alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alsie731 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Eddie, me thinks you have hit it right on the button - just got through doing a thorough cleaning (not really much dust) & no change - I have a lot of hours on the set and have gone through 3 bulbs all with a extremely long lifetime where others have not been so lucky - I will have to live with it I guess until it really is unbearable and craps out & will have to start saving for a new one - appreciate very much your diagram and explanation - looks like CRT sets (if that's what the old picture tube ones are) last soooooooooooooo much longer than DLP's do - wonder if LCD ones last longer - opinion please

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:30 pm

--

Eddie

alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alsie731 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Eddie - I know this is off subject but what you are saying is that plasmas show a better picture in a darker room set up (this is actually what I have) than a LCD one? Do plasmas last as long as a LCD one that say runs 10 hours a day 7 days a week - maybe I can give you some peace now

alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alsie731 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Eddie; for some reason I did not realize the new picture you had added was there and that really explain everything in a way that even I can understand - and it is exactly the condition that I am in - Looks like it is a major job if it is possable to fix - I had searched high and low in the web for a answer to the problem with no avail & was lucky to find your site and you to help - hope others with the problem will find you - saw quite a few that had the same or similar problem while searching - again thanks

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 pm

alsie731,
I have to tell you that one of your LCD prisms has deteriorated to a point where the heat from the lamp will continue to deteriorate the picture. I would purchase this light engine from discount-merchant.com:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... asonic.htm

That should fix your problem in an instant and have you up and runing like new. You may want to get a handy person to change it out for you. It is not that difficult but It does require someone with some experience in taking apart electronics.

It's only $259 for the whole light engine that from Panasonic would cost nearly $1000..

It's definately worth fixing in this economy.

alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alsie731 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:24 am

"WOW" what great pictures of the unit (light engine assembly) & am tempted to try it myself - it has to be the unit that the bulb shines into but it cannot be that simple to replace or in your opinion could it be? - wish it was just a couple of screws to remove and a slide out and in with the new one type job - just hope the Panny will continue being viewable for a reasonable time before I am forced to make a decision - part cost plus payment to a tech to fix versus a new set - being retired cannot get the toys as easy as before -

SteveJones
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SteveJones » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:16 pm

How long does it take for a job like this?

wuzzletodd

Postby wuzzletodd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi , I am a 16+ yr TV tech, It takes about 2hrs for an exp tech to replace. Not hard to do, Just alot of things to take apart. Be VERRY careful when unplugging wires not to break off locking tabs,pull connectors off boards,or bending pins. First time, Then lable the wires and mark the connectors.I know this sounds stuped but, let me tell you how many of customers tried to repair their TV and got shocked...UNPLUG IT FIRST. And be gental,some screws may hold the light engine located in front of TV. Some fir into slots in the chassy. Pull up easy while pulling out. While you have it apart replace and filters and clean the dust out by usind a can of air."DO NOT turn can upside down"freezing cold will dammage some parts. If you smoke clean your TV at least once a month. Heat caused this problem.keeping your TV clean will prolong the life of your TV. Good luck, Todd

wuzzletodd

Postby wuzzletodd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Also note, this Tv does NOT have a color wheel. It has 3 lcd panels. TV's that have 1 lcd panel use color wheels. Like Samsung.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:46 am

alsie731,
The process is not hard, but as Todd says... be very carefull and take notes. It will take a standard person with no experience 3-4 hours to do... Take your time.. Don't attack it all at the same time as you may get tired and frustrated, which may cause you to rush through it. That's when problems occur.

If you have a digital camera, take pictures before you take out connectors and cables as Pictures are worth a thousand words when puting it back together.

I don't see anyone having problem replacing it. If you want difficult, try reparing a digital camera!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

alsie731
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alsie731 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:36 am

Just have been following suggestions as this thread goes along - #1 Setting aside a few bucks for a new set #2 Waiting for yellow spot to get bigger (and much to my amazement it has not) and happy & sad also that it is really livable still and has not put me in a position to jump either way - I know when the time comes I will order the part and give it a shot and try it myself - Also contemplating getting a bigger set to replacing it and moving the Panny to the den - If I wasn't retired and on a fixed income I would have gotton the 65" Plasma and ordered the part and given it a shot of doing it myself by now - my downside is that I've always lacked patience and rushed things but with instructions given me by you just might get me to try it ezactly as suggested - Really appreciate all advice given - At this point just waiting for something to happen to push me to do it

timhannan

Postby timhannan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:16 pm

I am getting on this a bit late as I see post is from 2009. I have a similar problem with my tv also. Interestling enough, I bought mine in Jan. of 2004 the same as the person that started this post. My problems started soon after I replaced the bulb for the fourth time. I cleaned the lense the light goes through with just a paper towel as it was very dusty and I felt the picture was not nearly as bright recently. Thought it might be the age of the bulb. Accidently ordered the wrong bulb ty-la1500 instead of the 1000. the company i bought it from sent me the correct wiring harness and both them and Panasonic said the wattage was the same. After talking with Panasonic tech support, they recommended me to an authorized repair center. I called them and they said that it could be a programming error and would cost about $100 to reset it. They said it could be the optical block but it is rare for them to fail in panasonics. He was talking about $600 for the new piece plus labor. i mentioned they cost from a discount supplier of about $250 and they said they would put it in if that was what it needed and labor would be about $80-100. somebody mentioned the light engine being the problem in an earlier post. Is that a different part? Is that the one more likely to break? Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. Tim

Return to “Panasonic Discussion”