Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
RB855
Contributor
Contributor

HD-56FN97 vs Mother Nature. Didnt win.

Postby RB855 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello,

I have a HD-56FN97 56" JVC. We suspect that we had a lightning surge crawl down the coax as it also took out a cable modem and router in another room also. Unfortunately it also took out our bluray player. Theory is it came down the cable, hit the tv crossing to the hdmi then to the bluray. We have a tripplite surge isobar feeding this system that didn't trip. Now when we try to turn the tv on, at first everything seems peachy and it starts its warmup routine. Then there's a couple random pops through the speakers, shuts itself down and the front blue light flashes. I see there's almost every board for this tv available, but Im trying to narrow down which sections most likly got popped before I yank out the scope and meters and start tearing this thing apart. Trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy the service manuals or just put this thing to the curb. Other items like computers, audio amps and such on the same circuit or power strip were untouched.

Thankyou for your time!

Ryan

RB855
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HD-56FN97 vs Mother Nature. Didnt win.

Postby RB855 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:55 pm

I would like to add,
Plug it in, the power supply attempts to fire up, there's a screech and pop through the speakers then the powersupply kicks back off. The blue light remains on solid, the red led has a 1second on off flash cycle (As I understand it, its buss power failure/protect). The only way to get it to try again is to leave it unplugged for 3-5minutes. Iv attempted to trace the power supply outputs but it kicks off too quickly to get any decent readings. My theory about the blueray player may be off, as part of the live/primary side of the psu in it is toasted. Spoke with a neighbor yesterday that said the same storm took out a modem, 2 routers, 3 nics, a xbox, and a tv. Still pretty certain it came down the cable and just traced about everything connected to it.

I did attempt pulling the power from each board testing the powerup each time. The only one that did not trip protection was the one plug that went to the main board that controlled the power on of the psu. I suppose now its just a gamble of is it the psu or the analog board that commands it.

If anyone has any thoughts on it thnx :)

R

robsta2

Postby robsta2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 pm

I have the same TV and my light engine went let me know if you still have your TV?

RB855
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RB855 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:55 am

I finally sat down and traced out that 13.5volt from the power supply was missing. The main isolation/step down transformer blew a winding. Just haven't had the cash to get a new psu and see if the rest of the tv is alright. 100something $ gamble to find out, till then its still on the to be fixed list. Will let you know (unless you want to sell your psu lol)

Return to “JVC D-ILA Discussion”