Toshiba 56hm66 Ballast problem possible???

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Toshiba 56hm66 Ballast problem possible???

Postby Iggy442 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 am

I have a 56hm66m, had it for 3 years now. About 1 year after I had it the lamp would not fire (no pic/sound/could only see menus), I could barely hear the color wheel start when this occurs. I unplugged it for a couple minutes, never had the problem again for another 6-10 months. Every 6 months or so I had the same problem. Cycled power, good to go.

2 months ago the bulb finally failed (lamp indicator was lit and could NOT see any menus. Pulled bulb, it was bad for sure. Replaced it, worked fine until 2 days ago while watching tv the screen went to a weird looking red or pink transparent color ( No picture or menus but had sound). Turned TV off and then back on. No sound from the color wheel starting, but I heard a few clicks though, still no picture or menus, only sound. Pulled main power for a few seconds and turned it on, it started after 2 or 3 attempts. Looking to find out if its the color wheel or ballast or something else. Question, is the ballast only needed for firing the bulb at start up or is it always energizing the lamp? It seems the light was working as the screen was not black or a solid color. Almost like it was backlit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Super Bowl is in 2 weeks and I want to know what I need to buy to fix this myself.

Iggy

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Toshiba 56hm66 Ballast problem possible???

Postby Crowell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Interesting, do you hear any clicking noises when you try tu turn the tv on? Have you cleaned the inside of the tv? (Dust & mold that accumulates with time)
As for you question, the ballast is the board in charge of sending voltage to the lamp from the power supply.
Knowledge is the one true power

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Crowell,
Thanks for the response. I do hear a few clicks when it I power the tv on initially. But other than that no other noise Don't even hear the color wheels high pitch noise either. It's wierd, all I have to do is cycle power to the TV and things appear to be fine. I left it running yesterday for about 6 hours and it worked absollutely fine.
I have not clean the inside at all. Is this something you recommend I do? I'm sure it is dusty in their, been 3 years now since I've had it.

Question on the ballast. Is it always providing power to the lamp when it is on or is it act similar to a car battery where once it's powered (or started) it goes into stand by.

Thanks, Iggy.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 pm

The ballast is like a voltage amplifier that gets power from the power supply and regulates that energy to the lamp. If you hear a constant clicking (2 or more times) then its very probable it’s the ballast, how ever before buying anything first clean the Tv, take the entire back off, get a can of compressed air, small vacuum, mouth cover & optional some gloves. Its probable that the dust & mold is overheating some parts, thus the sensors pick this up and the DMD board shuts the TV off.

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Crowell,

I'll try to clean the inside as you recommend. Is there any concerns of using compressed air inside the set. Do I need to cover anything? I assume the color wheel has a cover on it from my readings, but what about the lamp section, any thing I need to do there (cover it)?

Iggy

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Don’t worry; nothing will be damaged, just spray and vacuum from a distance. Good luck.

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks Crowell!

I'll keep you posted.

Iggy

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:42 am

Update

Friday night while watching the TV, it went out again (Had not cleaned it yet). So I unplugged it for a few minutes and turned it back on. About 2 minutes later it went out again. Left it unplugged until Sunday and pulled it apart to clean it. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been considering its 3 years old. Put it back together and left it running over night (14 hrs), still working.

Now the question is...did leaving it unplugged for an extended period of time clear up the issue or was it the cleaning. The dusty area of the TV was the ventilation openings in the tv back it self. There was some duct on the cooling fans but nothing real bad. Actually I work on computers and I have seen dirtier computers than my v was.

If something changes, I'll be back looking for advice..

Thanks again for your help Crowell!!

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I think it was the cleaning, in some TVs disconnecting the tv for long periods resets the settings (even the lamp timer) although its very rear.
Glad I could be of help.

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm

:(

Well, Turned it on today worked for an hour or so then the screen froze for a minute and then got the pinkish screen I had before the cleaning. Any idea of what it could possible be?

Iggy

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm

Ok-Cycled power, tv attempted to restart 3 times. Each time the yellow light flashed 15 times. On the third attempt to fire it worked fine. Still during the time when the screen is pink/purple, no menus are visable. I read another post on a diff site that said it could be hdmi connections, not buying that. I have a wii, ps3, and DTV all HDMI and none worked at all.

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 am

Ok-Here is what I am leaning toward after reading a toshiba repair tech bulletin I found that had a flow chart for troubleshooting. In one section it tells you if the "blue" light stays lit after restart and no other lights blinks to change the digital pcb. This board is part #PE0044A. From further reading of other posts, if this board fails it creates or/prevents alot of other things to happen. DM has this part for $60.00 and I'm willing to buy it but I'd like to hear from someone more knowledgable in this repair or troubleshooting this.

Thanks FYDLP!

Iggy

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Hmmmm, first inspect the digital board for any swollen capacitors, if you find any replace them or buy a new board. How ever there is a strong possibility it’s the DMD since you can’t bring up the tv menu.

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Crowell.

Would you happen to know the part # for the DMD. DM said they would need this number to place an order for one.

Iggy

ctownisbetter

Postby ctownisbetter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm having a similar set of issues on my 50hm66. After about 30 minutes of use, the TV freezes for a few seconds, restarts a few times while flashing the lamp LED 15 times at .5 second intervals. Video and Audio come back after a few tries. I've replaced the lamp and used my dyson vacuum to suck out the dust that has accumulated, but I'm still getting this issue.

I'm not getting any pink/red screens, and video always comes back. What should be the next step I take?

belch4me
Contributor
Contributor

Postby belch4me » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 am

my lamp totaly blew out on my 50hm67 dlp replaced the lamp and it tries to restart several times and then lights blink red and tv says bad lamp any ideas?

Iggy442
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Iggy442 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:47 pm

I would pull the bulb out and try to re-install it. Make sure the buld access door is closed completely and the screw tighened up.

Return to “Toshiba DLP Discussion”