62HM196 - Ballast Problem ????

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Lugnutt

62HM196 - Ballast Problem ????

Postby Lugnutt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:11 am

I have a 62HM196, purchased in September 06. It has worked flawlessly everyday without a hitch - 6400 hours on the clock with original bulb. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing a problem. About once per day (6 hours per day use on the average). The screen will go dark, the amber LED (above the blue one) will flash 15 times and this routine will recycle twice more. After about 2 minutes (after the third amber flash cycle) the screen will come back perfectly with no more problems til the next episode. The blue LED is constantly on and never changes. So far, it is not a real problem - just a nuisance, but I'm confident worse things are to come. Could someone tell me what to expect in the coming failure? Based on what I've read on the forum, the ballast is likely going. Also, should I take action now to prevent downtime waiting for a replacement part? Thanks in advance for any advice.
DLP Guy

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: 62HM196 - Ballast Problem ????

Postby Crowell » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Hmmmmm, when the screen goes dark, do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the TV? After it comes back do you have any problem with the picture? Have you cleaned the inside of your TV in the last 6 moths?
My first assumption is the lamp, that’s about to go, if you replace it and same thing then the next suspect is the ballast, how ever before you buy anything clean the inside of the tv to discard a problems with the fan clogging.
Knowledge is the one true power

Lugnutt

Postby Lugnutt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 am

Thanks for the response. When the screen goes dark and then returns, there is no noise before or after the return of the picture or problems with the picture after it returns. The TV has never been opened (or cleaned). Does the cleaning involve removing any components or just opening up the back and blowing out dust?
Thanks again.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 pm

I posted a small guide a few weeks ago, here is the link. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=988&p=3538&hilit=can+air#p3538
Now I know that the post was about another TV but almost all of the TVs are serviced the same. You don’t need to take any component out of its place, just open the back of the tv, that’s it.
Knowledge is the one true power

Return to “Toshiba DLP Discussion”