toshiba 72HM195 flickering and weird colors

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
machop66

toshiba 72HM195 flickering and weird colors

Postby machop66 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:30 am

Hi everyone, I hope someone sees this thread. These are the problems: major white flickering, vertical lines that are made up of tiny little boxes and then there is the green color moving up the screen from the bottom kind of like a histogram. Also, red color flaring out to the right of certain object like someone's face and around the eyes and lips. There is no noise, we get sound, menu from remote looks just as bad, no special blinking lights on the tv as described in the toshiba manual.

Has anyone had these problems? How much to fix? Are you scraping the tv or fixing them. HE says the flickering probably the color wheel. The lines could be the light engine. This is all sounding very expensive. He says the green color color moving uip the screen is probably the color wheel. I dn't know if I believe that. The vertical line that are made up of tiny little boxes he says is probably the light engine. Repairman called today and said that the color wheel and the light engine are the same piece. I don't know about that. It will be 1276.00 to fix the part being I think 560.00. I know he can't find that light engine because I had called Toshiba myself. There is a refurbished program but the tech didn't know how much he was guessing around 4-5xx something dollars. He didn't mention that the color wheel and the light engine were one in the same part. Does anyone know if the color wheel and the light engine are one in the same part? Thanks for any help. Maria

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: toshiba 72HM195 flickering and weird colors

Postby grayfox » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Hello!
The Colorwheel is a part ON the light engine, its function is like a filter for the light so that the complete lightengine can display color. There are other components that can be causing color malfunctions, but if they are recomending the light engine and /or colorwheel, a safe bet is to star with the colorwheel. it is fairly inexpensive compared with the quotes you have gotten. If it gets to the point where you need to replace the light engine and save some money in the process I know discount-merchant.com sells refurbished engines at a very accessible cost. let me know if you have any questions, glad to help.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

machop66

Postby machop66 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Thank you for the response but it ended up going to the dump. It's a shame it was a great tv. I even tried to sell it for like 200.00 and no one would buy it, not even the light engine alone would sell and that still worked. Between having two different people look at it $$ and the cost of the actual fix and then knowing we could very well be putting more money into it within a year we decided to dump it. Thank you anyway. MAria

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

what a shame, yes is it was a magnificent television. I am surprised nobody took it for the 200 and fixed it themselves, you should try posting it in local forums! I'm sure someone would have paid to buy the light engine within the electronics community. Better luck with your new tv!
cheers,
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Toshiba DLP Discussion”