Probs with my 62HMX94... lamp??

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bestps

Probs with my 62HMX94... lamp??

Postby bestps » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 am

I have the 62HMX94 HD DLP Projection TV. Intermittently, I'd get the blank screen w/ audio and the green and red lights flashing together. I originally thought this was a bad bulb (as described in the manual), so I purchased a new bulb. Within a week, the issue returned. I was able to return that bulb for another new bulb (received 11/08). The TV worked fine for a few months, then, the intermittent "bulb" issues came back. Sometimes a reset (unplug for 30 seconds) would make the picture return, sometimes the pict would return on its own during the automatic 8 restarts, sometimes it would come back in a few hours, and others times it would come back in days. When the pict was on, the TV was in perfect working condition (no dimming of colors or picture quality). Now, it's been 2 weeks and the pict has not returned. I’m not sure it's the bulb. I've read a few posts on here about the ballast... I'm not a tech person... not sure I know where the ballast is on my TV or how to test it.

Looking for some advice... could this be "just the bulb", or do I have gremlins?

Thanks!

Eddie

Re: Probs with my 62HMX94... lamp??

Postby Eddie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Gremlins.... jk!

Theres no real way to test the ballast unless you have a high voltage multimeter. You see the ballast does 2 things...

1. It ignites the lamp
2. It maintains power levels and feeds it to the lamp.

The lamp then consumes as much as it needs. The trouble is that the Toshibas use direct current lamps, which is always hard to diagnose. The current flows one way through the lamp unlike the Philips lamps which use AC.

It also depends where you buy the lamp because if the trouble has returned, it could either be a bad lamp or a weak ballast. And there are plenty of knock off lamps for Toshibas.
--

Eddie

Return to “Toshiba DLP Discussion”