Overheating?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
larryokiscout
Contributor
Contributor

Overheating?

Postby larryokiscout » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:59 pm

Alrighty, I have a Sharp 56DR650, and it has a major problem. I believe it is overheating, but want to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with this set.

I am more than aware of the color wheel issues with this set, and have already dealt with that particularly nasty issue by replacing the old wheel when it failed. The lamp is fine, and the set will turn on and run great for about 20 minutes, then the picture loses definition, and color over the next 20 minutes or so, until it has blue and green only, and finally the set begins to shut off and restart rapidly.

When the set is shut off for a few hours, it works great upon start up again, but repeats the above cycle. I'd like to keep this set, as I got it for free, (the previous owner didn't want to take the time to repair it) and it's easily the best TV I have ever owned, but I won't spend the $1400 that Sharp wants to replace the light engine.

Any help with this, or even confirmation from somebody else who has experienced this would be great. Thanks for your time, and I'm sorry this post is long, I just wanted to be detailed! :D
No trees where harmed to bring you this message, however, a number of electrons were severely misplaced.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Overheating?

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Hello larryokiscout.
I think I might be able to provide some assistance since I have seen this problem twice on Toshiba DLP TVs.
It’s very probable that it’s not your color wheel, other wise your tv would shut off automatically & immediately once the DMD board detect an abnormality. How ever the problem that might be causing this could be the Analog video board, the digital video board or the DMD board. To pinpoint which one is causing the problem & discard the other two you’ll have to inspect all three thoroughly for any swollen capacitors or cold soldering. If you find any bad capacitors you’ll have to replace them, and if you see any circuits that lack soldering I would suggest you apply some more.
The reason behind this is that the analog board receives the raw picture information from the tv tuner (audio & video are all mixed up). The analog board separates the audio from the video, then sends the signal to the Digital video board and converts the signal (from analog to video) so the Tv can understand the signal. Then the signal is sent to the DMD board so it can display it on the screen accordingly. In all that process is where your problem might be.
Keep me posted on any new developments.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

larryokiscout
Contributor
Contributor

Postby larryokiscout » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Nightkid,
Thanks for the speedy response! The color wheel did have a problem, but as stated, it has been replaced. I have seen on here and other sites that if the menu is screwed up, that indicates one board over another, I can't exactly remember which so any help with that would be appreciated. If one of the boards had a circuitry issue, such as a bad capacitor or a lose solder joint, would it allow the tv start up and run perfectly for so long? And based on the flow of information, you provided, does that mean the DMD board is the most likely culprit?
No trees where harmed to bring you this message, however, a number of electrons were severely misplaced.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Hello again larryokiscout.
The reason why your tv last 20 minutes with out a hitch is because as the tv warms up, either one of those capacitors gets swollen ( it doesn’t tolerate the temperature once the tv is in full operation mode) or a circuit has a thin amount of soldering (as you know solder becomes like liquid one its heated up) doesn’t conduct current appropriately as it heats up. So your problem might be in the analog digital or DMD, the thing is you have to inspect all three boards physically to be sure.
Hope this helps out.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

larryokiscout
Contributor
Contributor

Postby larryokiscout » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for your help with this. I'll check into those boards when I get home, is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? I don't want to treat the symptoms and ignore a bigger problem. Please forgive me for making you repeat yourself, I'm kinda a neanderthal with much of the newer tech. I am definitely interested in knowing more, so please bear with me. BTW I want your car.

larryokiscout
Contributor
Contributor

Postby larryokiscout » Sun May 02, 2010 7:24 am

Weirdest thing. The tv just ran perfectly for over 16hrs straight. The next day no problems either. I have the back off of it right now, so maybe it's allowing heat to clear faster or something (I got tired of taking it off and putting it back on). Any chance the tv just had to figure out the speed of the new color wheel or something crazy like that? I plan on inspecting the boards still, when I get a spare moment, and helping anybody who needs it that I can. Thanks to you guys that have helped me out with it!

larryokiscout
Contributor
Contributor

Postby larryokiscout » Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 pm

So I finally got around to inspecting the boards, and putting the back on the tv again, and it's back to it's old tricks. The same cycle of running for 20 minutes or so and then shutting off. There were no really obvious issues with any of the boards, but I think I'm going to end up having to have a pro inspect them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from any who can help.

larryokiscout
Contributor
Contributor

Postby larryokiscout » Wed May 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Return to “Sharp Discussion”