Hlp5085w...doesn't power on.

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
stickle
Contributor
Contributor

Hlp5085w...doesn't power on.

Postby stickle » Tue May 25, 2010 2:05 am

Hi all, I've replaced colour wheel bulb, everthing worked fine but no i get screaching sounds then tv cuts off.......................i experimented by using a hair dryer on the ballast it fires up but then shuts down after 4 min......I therefore thought the ballast was deffective and replaced it, T.v still doesnt work.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Hlp5085w...doesn't power on.

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue May 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Hello stickle.
So let me get this straight, you’ve replaced lamp, color wheel & ballast. Your TV makes a screeching sound, and then shuts down. Theses are very common symptoms of a color wheel gone bad, are you sure you got a new wheel, because it’s common that they are sold as new but have some defects.
You can test it buy opening up your TV and spin the color wheel manually, see if it makes any noise at all. If it does, then it’s defective.
Have more questions? Feel free to ask.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

stickle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stickle » Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 pm

The color wheel spins freely, and no screeching when i spin it manually.
I also experimented by using a hair heater on the ballast, the ballast would then fire up, usually once on the TV would work until i turn it off, but now it runs for 5 min then shuts down. If the color wheel was at fault would it work any at all?

note.. tv only comes on if i blow hair dryer on the ballast....i have replaced the ballast but same result.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello again stickle.
I think it’s safe to say that the color wheel is no the problem, but the hair heater on the ballast sounds very odd. You might want to check all of the internal fans. If at least one is malfunctioning or not working at all, its reason enough for the TV to not turn on. The reason for this is that the TV has different temperature sensors. So if one detects overheating in one of the TV components it will prevent the TV from turning on, for security reasons.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

stickle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stickle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm

I ended up damaging the connector on my dmd board, attempted to soldier the wire on directly then i tried powering up and each time the light would turn on but the wheel wouldnt spin ended up damaging the color wheel in the process. after checking on the prices for a color wheel and dmd board i decided i would just throw the tv out. In a last ditch effort to find reasonable pricing, i found for sale on ebay an entire " light engine" for sale minus bulb for $300........should arrive in 5 days, it even comes with warranty for a full refund if its not opperational.

stickle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stickle » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:18 am

new light engine installed all is well except, my image appears blurry any adjustment i can make?

stickle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stickle » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:37 am

Woe got problem resolved, lense actually have focust adjustment on side. had to remove plastic tab in order to get to it.

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”