What next??

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

What next??

Postby dallaswinn » Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Okay, some background. . . we bought our samsung 43" dlp tv in May of 2004. I replaced the first projection bulb in 2008. Just recently, it went out again. . . with a lot of screeching noise. I replaced the bulb, again with another phillips bulb purchased through best buy parts online. This time, the picture sort of came back only in black and white and squiggly. I had no idea where to turn so went to best buy (where we bought it) who referred me to the geek squad. Well, needless to say, I can buy a new TV for what they want to fix it. . . So, was wondering what else it might need. I've always been a pretty good do-it-yourselfer, so maybe I'll give it a shot. . . . worse case, we have to buy a new tv which we may anyway! I'm trying to decide if it's even worth fixing. This last bulb was $150, so I'm trying to figure out what else it may take to decide if I should just scrap it. From what I've read it sounds like it maybe needs a color wheel? Of course, when we bought it in 2004 it wasn't cheep ($3,000) but now they're $600-$800 on sale. Any thoughts?? THANKS!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: What next??

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed May 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Hello dallaswinn.
This sounds like a classical case of a bad color wheel.
You might want to open up your TV and inspect the color wheel physically. Here is a link that explains more about the color wheel.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1254&p=4208#p4208
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks so much for the tip. I will do that tonight. I took the lower back off last night and peeked inside. I think I saw the color wheel in the center bottom (red looking) and it appeared intact. Will follow your instructions and let you know what I find. THANKS!

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Wed May 26, 2010 10:21 pm

THANKS Nightkid. . . Is there some diagram that I can look at to see where the various components are located so I don't have to take anymore apart than is necessary? I have taken the lower back off and you can't really see that much. I took all the screws out of the top part of the back and it appears to make it real unstable with the screen standing up by itself. Will it stand up if I take the top back off? Also, should I just go ahead and order the color wheel assuming that's it? Or is there some obvious thing to look for or if I plug it in and turn it on, what should it do? turn? I know I can do this . . . just need a little step by step. :D Thanks for your wisdom and guidance!!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu May 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Hello again dallaswinn.
When you inspect the color wheel it’s very probable that it’s shattered or chipped, if you detect to physical damage, try spinning it manually, if it makes any kind of noise then its gone bad (a good color wheel doesn’t make any noise at all). The color wheel is located in the light engine area; here is a link of a early post to give you an idea.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1315
There is also two guides for replacing the color wheel, http://www.fixyourdlp.com/guides/guides.php they can give you a better idea of where to look for the color wheel.
Good luck.

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:55 am

Okay, after almost a week, my part came in and I put the tv back together this evening. Now, it won't power up. I think I may know the problem though. While I was taking it apart, I broke the little sensor switch that lets it know the back is on. It looks like the connection was just soldered on. Is there some work around to this?? Help please.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Hello again dallaswinn.
I think you’re in a tight pickle.
First of all, did you completely brake of the switch? If so you’re going to have to buy a new one. Since all the sensors relay the information to the DMD board, if one or more stop sending the OK signal, the DMD will prevent the TV from turning off for security reasons. So with out that switch you’re stuck.
I looked on the sponsor of the D-M.com and found this http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... p%20switch
This could give you an idea of the price of buying one and what to look for.
Good luck.

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”