Okay. . . what now!!

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. . . what now!!

Postby dallaswinn » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Okay, I replaced the lamp, then the colorwheel (it was shattered), then the #2 fan . . . now what?

TV comes on and works for 5-10 minutes then picture freezes and goes black and white frozen image. I can turn it off and wait a couple of minutes then turn it back on and it will have a picture again. . . but won't last.

Here's the link to my original topic throughout my repairs (hope this works) so you will have the background.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=980 (You may have to copy this in your browser.)

Anyway, it's a 43" samsung dlp tv. . . . what could possibly be causing this?

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Okay. . . what now!!

Postby Crowell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 pm

Ok, correct me if I’m wrong, but did you reset the lamp timer after you replaced the lamp? If not then try it, if yes… then did you clean the inside of the TV? I can safely assume that you did, since you have already changed a fan. Have you closed the lamp door? (There is a small switch that if not pressed by the lamp door, it will prevent the TV from turning on).
Now that we have eliminated all these possibilities, the only thing left would be the ballast.
I know there are no weird noises, but it’s a last shot at a possible fix, and remember that its buy discarding all other possibilities.
Knowledge is the one true power

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm

I did everything but reset the timer and will try to do that tonight. . . I saw directions somewhere and will look it up. . . thanks. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully, this will finally fix it. .

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello dallaswinn.
Here is a link to one of Crowell’s early post about resetting the lamp timer.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050
good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:53 am

THANKS Crowell and Nightkid. . . I just got around to trying to reset the lamp timer. The lamp wouldn't come on at all tonight. It made the power up sound 'da da da da da', then started humming like something was trying to power on, but no lamp. Then it would shut itself off and try again to come on. So, I just unplugged it.

On the one hand, I'm very proud that I could take the tv apart and fix the initial problem, a broken color wheel. Even my husband was amazed that I was able to get it all back together and, for a very short time, it worked, til I discovered the #2 fan wasn't working and it would shut itself off. So, I ordered a new fan and installed it and again, it would only work for a short period of time then the picture would freeze and be in black and white. Now, I'm really becoming frustrated, after replacing all that, it's still not working. . . . What are your thoughts? Junk it or keep replacing all the inner workings one part at a time. . . .

THANKS for your guidance.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Hello again dallaswinn.
Let me be more technical with you. There are 4 main reasons why a TV won’t turn on.
1.- a bad lamp. ( I think we can discard this)
2.- a bad ballast. (It starts to send irregular voltage to the lamp causing it to go out)
3.- a bad color wheel. (It shattered or doesn’t spin at the correct RPM, another thing to discard).
4.- a bad power supply. (Dead TV, the light on the front won’t ever turn on).

Other small possibilities are overheating (lots of dust inside), lamp door not closed, lamp timer.
Son unless you have not properly inserted the new lamp, the only possibility left is the ballast.
So far you’ve replace several components, and spent a considerable amount of money, why not try one last one, if it works you’ll have TV to last you some 4 to 6 years more.

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks Nightkid. I'll try replacing the ballast and let you know how it turns out. Oh, and if I get it to come on again, should I still try to reset the lamp timer? Haven't done that and I figure if it isn't a problem now, it will be at some point. Thanks again for your help!

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:52 pm

If you get your TV back it would be recommendable to reset the lamp timer, so that the TV doesn’t shut down in the near future.It’s better to discard possible complication than to later deal with them unexpectedly.
Knowledge is the one true power

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Crowell. . . . will do!

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:08 am

Okay guys, finally got the new ballast in and installed and it still doesn't work. It's doing the exact same think as I described above before the new ballast. Initially, the lamp came on then almost immediately the picture froze into black and white. I turned it off and unplugged it then turned it back on. It makes the power on sound, 'da da da da' but the lamp isn't coming on and it makes a humming sound like it's trying to power the lamp on or something. This is very frustrating. I know I have everything back together right.

The only thing I haven't done is reset the lamp timer. Could that possibly be it????? I can't reset it if it won't come on though.

What are your thoughts?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:50 pm

First of all, Yes, the lamp timer when it reaches a certain limit sends a signal to the DMD board, thus preventing the TV to turn on. How ever there is a humming noise that you mention. That is normally the sound of a bad color wheel, but didn’t you already replace it? I would suggest you double check it again, see if there is anything inside the housing that prevents the wheel from spinning properly ( a piece of glass, a loose cable, etc), plus you got a black and white picture. The last option if the color wheel is fine would be the digital board, but lets try to discard the lamp timer & color wheel first.

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Yes, the color wheel is new. I do know that it was working because during the short periods when the tv comes on, it's in color. Then, the picture freezes into a b/w image. Eventually, you can't even get the lamp to come on.

Besides, how do I reset the lamp timer when I can't see the screen?

iamtopher34
Contributor
Contributor

Postby iamtopher34 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Sounds dumb but try looking to make sure everything got pluged back in and that the plugs are seated tight and the timer sometimes the little things get overlooked in all parts of life

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”