Samsung 50" DLP turns off after 30 sec

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bigkerm
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung 50" DLP turns off after 30 sec

Postby bigkerm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:09 am

Samsung 50" DLP

Model # HLS 5087 WX/XAA

I have read several threads on this topic and have found various answers. I've tried them and problem still persists. Below is are a few of my posts on another site combined. This is all the info i have so far.

PROBLEM - TV shuts off after exactly 30 seconds, all 3 lights blink. Can turn on again, but shuts off again after 30 seconds.

Fans are running, no strange noises, and picture is PERFECT.

FIXES Tried -

1. tape the blue "safety switch" down.

2. tried different power cord and outlets

3. bypass temp sensor using paper clip

These are the fixes that i've read about online. Did the live chat with Samsung. All i got from "Daisy" was a headache and a link to schedule a samsung service tech to come out.

I'm not a real technical guy, but logic tells me that it's not the lamp because the picture is great (for 30 sec). no, i haven't replaced anything. I've only tried the FREE fixes that i've read about for this exact issue. don't really want to buy a new bulb if nothing is wrong with this one.

the lamp hours were at over 23,000. I reset them to 0 and nothing changed.

the whole time i've been playing with this, the tv has been muted. i turned the volume on and noticed this - The sound stays on about 5 seconds after the picture goes off.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. What i really don't understand is - I have the same symptoms as other people but the fixes they used are not working for me.

***I am not the original owner, so this is all the info i have.

bigkerm
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung 50" DLP turns off after 30 sec

Postby bigkerm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Does anyone have any POSSIBLE solutions??

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Hello bigkerm,

Do not get frustrated, these online solution are probably some of the solution id suggest for a Samsung RPTV. Of course we all try to DIY and find free fixes online, many times they work!

Given these statements:

"the lamp hours were at over 23,000. I reset them to 0 and nothing changed" and "no, i haven't replaced anything".

I assume this TV has the original lamp (or the last replaced) still inside it. I think after all that trouble shooting, the next thing to do is remove and physically inspect the lamp, even though it is not necessarily need to be broken to be dead or defective.

If the lamp is shattered, broken, fogged, burnt or in any other way not crystal clear, you will most likely need to replace it. If it looks good you can try unplugging it with the lamp out for over an hour, put the lamp back in, plug in the tv and try it out. If the problem persists I would recommend trying a new lamp first. The symptoms you describe can be caused by a failing bulb. If you check the lamp removed from the set, it should be a Philips lamp for this is what Samsung uses from factory. More precisely this Samsung HLS5087WX uses the BP96-01472A Philips brand bulb, but I can help you find it cheap online from fellow acquaintances.

First check the lamp and let me know how it goes!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

bigkerm
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigkerm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Hello grayfox. Thank you for your response.

When I said "I" had done all this stuff, I really meant my friend who knows how to work on TVs had done all this stuff. So as soon as I can get him back over here, I will have him do what you suggested. I know he took the lamp out, but not sure if he actually inspected it.

If you wouldn't mind directing me to a reliable supplier of a new lamp in the meantime, I would appreciate it. If it's not too much, I will probably just go ahead and get it. I'm on a very tight budget right now. Long story short - Moved out on my (ex) girlfriend 6 months ago and didn't take anything, bought a house 1 month ago, now need to fill the house with stuff! I didn't take into account how expensive starting from scratch is before I left!!

So yes, I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible and avoid a pro TV repairman. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

bigkerm
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigkerm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Grayfox - Can I get this one??

http://www.amatteroffax.com/item.asp?INVID=1367744976&src=gshopping&CKP=ADRG%40PDNSFM%5EBDJIN&BASEID=1140230&gclid=CNG_odmb-bwCFc9AMgodXEAAgg

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Hello!

Good that you have a friend that is willing to help! I have often helped local friends fix their TV's in return for pizza and beer, needless to say I know what its like to be on a budget!

However, if you want your TV bright and colorful with a like new shine on the screen I would invest a little more than that 23 dllr lamp which is most certainly a knock off.

Take a look at the link below, it is for a (guarantied OG with warranty) original Philips brand bulb. The lamp is the original BP96-01472A for the HLS5087WX/XAA. I would highly recommend getting this one since sooner or later it will be time to replace your lamp anyways, and it is most likely the solution to your problem. You will end up spending more replacing it every 2-4 months with a generic lamp with no warranty and that is not as bright, I have seen local shops go down that road.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/p-95-samsung-bp96-01472a-lamp-replacement.aspx

Let me know how it goes!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”