Samsung HL-S6187W won't stay on after color wheel replace

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
BrotherJ

Samsung HL-S6187W won't stay on after color wheel replace

Postby BrotherJ » Mon May 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello everyone. I hope someone out there can help me.

I have had this TV for almost 10 years with no problems. I am on my 3rd bulb and it is less than a year old. It is a Phillips brand bulb.

About 4 months ago I started hearing a whining that sounded like an engine starting up. Occasionally the TV would shut off. It would sometimes take a few minute for it to come back on and stay on. The problem continued to get worse but we could usually get it back on and it would be fine for a while; it would just have the whining.

I read up on this and the problem seemed to be the color wheel. I installed a new one several weeks ago, along with 2 new cooling fans since most articles I read said they should be replaced at the same time since you are already in there. The old fans were original and the parts I replaced them with were the same make and model.

The problem now is that the TV will start up, now with no whining sounds, and the picture is crystal clear - for about a minute. Then I hear a slight squeaking sound and the bulb dims and brightens a few times then the TV shuts off. I have reseated all connections, even put an old fan back in, but it still does this.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong now?

Thank you!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Samsung HL-S6187W won't stay on after color wheel replac

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 pm

Hello,

I am assuming that the ballast has never been replaced before. The ballast is the component that powers the lamp. This is usually the 2nd most common part to fail after the lamp. With time the ballast stops putting out the voltage the lamp needs to ignite and remain lit. It first needs to put out about 3,000 volts to ignite the lamp. Once the lamp has turned on the ballast drops the voltage but must still feed the lamp with steady current otherwise the lamp would shut off. Eventually the ballast will lose the capability of powering a lamp correctly. Unless you have replaced the ballast before more than likely this will be your problem. Ballasts are known to make an electrical type buzzing sound when they are starting to fail which makes me think this might be the sound you mention. Hope this helps some and please do let us know of any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

BrotherJ

Postby BrotherJ » Tue May 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Thank you for the information. I replaced the ballast this weekend and it is still doing the same thing. The 3 lights on the front of the TV flash continuously once the light cuts off. I believe that indicates a problem with the bulb. The bulb is not that old but I guess it could have been damaged while I have been working on the TV. Could a bad bulb act like mine is, coming on at full brightness for about a minute and then cutting off? Or might the problem be elsewhere, like the power supply? Is there a way to tell for sure?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello,

Try a hard reset this sometimes helps. Just follow the steps below. If this does not help the temperature sensor could be needing replacement.

Just unplug the TV and take out the lamp.

2) While the TV is unplugged, press and hold down the power button in the TV for 2 minutes.

3) Leave the TV unplugged for 2 hours.

4) After you've waited 2 hours, re-install the lamp, slide it in and push it a little harder, so you can make sure is installed properly. Plug in the TV and turn ON the television.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”