RCA DLP Driving me nuts. Please help!

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
steeck1

RCA DLP Driving me nuts. Please help!

Postby steeck1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 am

Hey everyone. I was once the proud owner of a RCA HDLP50W151. I have had it about a year and a half. When I got it the TV made a horrible noise. I had the color wheel replaced. One year later while at work I was told that there was no picture but there was sound. I took out the lamp and the inside of the bulb was broken. I ordered and replaced the bulb, then comes this problem:
Tv turns on like normal. You hear the click when you plug it in, then the power wheel starts, and then I get picture along with the sound. From the back or the front of the TV the bulb seems to reach full brightness and then it shuts off. The picture disappears but the sound stays and the power light blinks five times. The TV will start this process again and again and never stays on. After some internet research I understood that the ballast might be at fault. So, I bought and replaced that. I also read that overheating might be an issue, so I blew some of the dust out of the set and fans (but how hot could it get for only being on for a minute?) Still the same problems. Also I read that resetting the lamp timer might be at fault, so I reset the eprom with the channel down/menu button combo protocol. I found one forum (possibly this one) where similar problems were discussed but never solved.
The only thing left that I can understand would be a power supply issue and I would hate to spend more money I don't have to find it was just something stupid or not worth all the money to invest. The power supply, by the way, shows no signs whatsoever of any capacitors bulging or leaking.
This TV is going to lead me to drinking. One day its fine, I blow a bulb, then the entire TV gives up on me.
Please help!

Chaiyz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RCA DLP Driving me nuts. Please help!

Postby Chaiyz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Sounds like a ballast issue. Does the bulb shut off completely?

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”