Samsung cuts out on bright images

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
papagiorgio
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung cuts out on bright images

Postby papagiorgio » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi, I have a Samsung DLP model HLR5067wx/xaa, and when I play call of duty black ops and I get flash banged, the screen cuts out, and audio stays on. And this will happen on other games with bright screens. Once the image goes back to dim, the signal comes back on. Sometimes it'll say "Not a recognizable signal" or something like that.

I'm able to recreate this 100% of the time, so I tried creating the same image on my other 52" Samsung LCD, and it worked fine. So I know it's not my xbox.

I just ordered and installed a new bulb, and the problem still persists. I don't hear any weird noises coming out from the back, so I'm stumped on what could be causing this. I've looked all over the net, and no luck on finding my issue.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung cuts out on bright images

Postby grayfox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:57 pm

hello,
as a fellow black ops fan, I know how you re-create this problem. ;)
How long ago did you replace the lamp and how many times have you replaced it? :?: my first thought is that the Ballast (part that controls and provides power to the lamp) is weak and when asked to power up a bright white it gives out. BUT... :shock: based on previous experiences, what I really think is going on, is that the resolution your xBox is putting out is not fully supported by your TV, try scaling it down (say from 1080 to 720 if using HDMI) you will hardly notice the difference and try a flash gren on yourself.... :lol:
If this doesnt help please post again! :oops:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

papagiorgio
Contributor
Contributor

Postby papagiorgio » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Hey, thanks so much for the advice! It worked for the most part. I dropped the resolution to 720p, and flashed myself about 30 times, and out of those 30x, it happened only once. I have the first gen xbox, so it's hooked up via component video, no hdmi.

That said, do you think it's the xbox that's causing the problem or is it my TV. I just don't get how this could happen out of nowhere. Is it because my ballast is going or does it have something to do with an xbox update?

I've never replaced the bulb until now (the DLP tv is probably about 6 years old now), but after installing a new bulb, the problem was still there. So I removed it and hoping I can still return it.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm

hmmmm it can be, but I am doubtful, have you tried toying around with your TV settings? the refresh speed might be affecting... brightness... I would play around a bit before, because if anything is wrong I am almost sure it can be the ballast.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

papagiorgio
Contributor
Contributor

Postby papagiorgio » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I believe refresh rate only applies to LCD tvs. I don't have that option on my DLP. I think I'm going to have to live with this for now. It seems to be working for the most part, I might start bitching again when the new maps comes out on 5/3.

What's another sign you know of that my ballast is going? I'll keep an eye out for it.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:00 pm

true sorry, multi-posting , got confused! but my gamer friend, I sincerely think that there is a bigger change the lamp you installed is faulty, even if your ballast is weak, is it a Philips lamp???

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”