52" HP DLP needs realignment

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
mazzucco

52" HP DLP needs realignment

Postby mazzucco » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 pm

I have a 52" HP DLP the is off like 3/4" across the screen. I called HP how informed me that the DLP Chip needs to be realigned. Is this something fairly easy to do or should I pay the $200 plus to have it fix? Also considering I am going through a bulb every year or so may be time to say bye bye... Thanks for your feed back...

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: 52" HP DLP needs realignment

Postby grayfox » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:25 am

Hello mazzuco,
I believe they meant the DMD is messed up, in which case it is easier and cheaper to just change the DMD board itself. its just a couple of plugs and screws nothing to cut or solder. If you are going through a lot of lamps you might have a Ballast problem, this is also easy to install. DLP's were so expensive when they boomed in sales and it is a pity to see such good technology go to waste, both these parts I mentioned are fairly inexpensive (around US$80 for each on the sponsor website / discount-merchant.com). Hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: 52" HP DLP needs realignment

Postby darkart77 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Pepe's actually on point here, the parts that are potentially wrong on your tv set are inexpensive and it might be worth keeping it.
Personally I'd lean toward the ballast if the symptoms pepe mentioned are there.
If you hear a buzzing, humming or rapid clicking noises (Ballast symptoms)

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”