NEW Bulb- still not working

This form contains information on DLP, LCD Projection and other RPTV issues. Any information about a television device that requires a lamp and a ballast should be created here.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
thevman
Contributor
Contributor

NEW Bulb- still not working

Postby thevman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am

I ordered a new bulb ( Philips original ) for my Samsung HLP6163W. Put new bulb in today but noticed that the silver housing that attaches to the terminal was loose. spoke to technician at Discount Merchants and they told me that is a common problem on the bulbs and should not cause any problems. So I put the bulb in and nothing. Technician tells me that I need to reset the Samsung DLP TV’s lamp hour meter or hour counter. So i follow the instructions and actually see the screen show up. Since the instructions didn't say much more, I wasn't sure what to do next. I left the room for like 5 minutes and when I returned, the screen was black. I tried to recreate the menu screen but all I get is the Bulb light flashing in front of the unit. I unplugged the TV and tried again and then I get all three lights flashing. ( In the manual that it says that this means the bulb needs to be replaced ) Is the bulb not working because the outside terminal is loose from the housing or is there another problem.

Not sure hat to do next. any help is appreciated.

Eddie

Re: NEW Bulb- still not working

Postby Eddie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Oh no!

Call David at DM, he's a good rep there and he should be able to handle it. Tell him Eddie from Fixyourdlp.com sent you. There might be a problem with the lamp, but he can trouble shoot better over the phone than I can.

If you still have your old lamp, I'd advise trying that one to see if it still works too. The problem could be something with your TV primarily and putting in a new lamp really didn't solve anything. There could be ballast or color wheel problems--or the lamp door switch could be faulty. You've got to check everything--but like I said, if you cal DM and ask for David, he's the supervisor there, I'm sure he can help you out.. (800) 281-8860
--

Eddie

thevman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thevman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 am

Thanks Eddie. I will try my old bulb and I also have a friend that ha the same TV, so I'm going to take my new bulb over there and see if it works in his TV. I'll give David a call if none of that worsk.

thanks for the reply.

thevman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thevman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:11 am

Eddie,

Okay, its not the bulb. I took it over to my friends house and it worked just fine. so how do you suggest i troubleshoot from here. I couldn't get a hold of David at DM, so they guy I spoke to is thinking its the color wheel. I don't want to just keep assuming its this or that and replacing parts. any thoughts?

rbrophy52
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rbrophy52 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Can someone explain the "reset timer" as I have not heard of his yet. For six months now I have been trying to resolve my issue of:
-Replace lamp
-Replace color wheel
-Replace ballast
-Set worked for about 2 weeks then screen went black and lamp apparently does not illuminate.

I even paid an on-line service to spend over an hour diagnosing the problem and he determined that it was a power source issue. This in spite of my reading 330vdc to the ballast. My question to him was, what reading should I be getting on the output side of the ballast going to the lamp. I have also asked this question on this forum and no one has been able to answer.

Can anyone help with this information.

Thanks, RB.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

The lamp timer is a small program that keeps track of the hours that the lamp is in use.
Some time the tv wont turn on after replacing the lamp because the DMD detects that the lamp hours exceeds the limit. So for security measures it doesn’t allow the tv to turn on.
Here are the instructions of how to reset you Samsung lamp timer viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1050&start=0&hilit=Loading+Factory

How ever there may be other issues, like did you close the lamp door? You see there is a small switch that if not pressed is will send a signal to the DMD, thus not allowing the tv to turn on.

Also there is the thermostat, here is the link to that post.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=733&p=3805&hilit=thermostat#p3805

And last but not least, have you cleaned the inside of the tv free of dust and mold?
Good luck.
Knowledge is the one true power

rbrophy52
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rbrophy52 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:25 am

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 am

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Hello dallaswinn.
In theory yes, the connector can be resoldered, you see the sensor just sends a signal (a 5v I believe) to the DMD board, just one question, is the actual switch damaged in any way? If yes, then you would need to buy a new one.
Here is a link so you can get an idea of what to look for.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... p%20switch
if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Eureka!!!!!!! Got the switch wires soldered back on, installed the switch and the tv works!!!! Yeah. . . . . One more question though. There was a small fan inside and a larger one in the back of the tv near the lamp. I've never noticed before but is the larger one at the lamp supposed to just come on when it's hot or run all the time? When I was putting all the screws back in and the tv was on, I noticed the larger fan was not running. Hopefully, that's not another problem????

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:02 am

Hello Dallaswinn.
That fan inside of another fan sound strange, anyway it’s probably nothing, since all the fans have a sensor that relay a signal to the DMD board. If at least one where to not function properly or fail completely the DMD would shut the TV off. So I think you ok.

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:29 pm

I didn't explain it very good. . . it's not a fan inside a fan. There are 2 fans inside the tv. A small one circulates air on the dmd board and the larger one I am referring to is at the back of the tv, circulating air around the lamp/color wheel area. That one is not on. Is it supposed to be running all the time or does it come on if tv gets too hot. I'm trying to determine if its working or not??

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Houston, we've got a problem!

Postby dallaswinn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Okay, tv is gone again; indicates bulb. I've been trying to get some answers to questions in above posts. . . obviously fan is not working. . . any ideas???

dallaswinn
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dallaswinn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Update on above post. Left tv off for a couple hours and tried it again. Comes on and has picture. . . I'm thinking the fan is the issue; obviously it should be running. Anyone have any ideas other than taking it apart again and replacing the fan. . . man this is getting old; and expensive. I'm thinking a new tv would be cheaper now.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Hello again dallaswinn.
I’m sorry to say this but you’re going to have to replace the fan, as mention before, if you have a malfunctioning fan its reason enough for the TV to shut itself off. There is no other way around it. The good news is that they’re cheap and easy to install.
I did a search on the sponsor of the site D-M.com and found this result.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... sung%20fan
Good luck.

Return to “DLP, LCD Projection, and other RPTV”