Ceiling Mounted Projectors

Got a problem with a projector? A DLP or LCD projector can have common issues. Why don't you check this forum out before running out to buy a brand new projector?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Ceiling Mounted Projectors

Postby Louisa80 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 am

Hey guys,

I'm so happy I found this forum and it's easy to follow. Some of the others are just too confusing. So we got a new Optoma gaming projector for Xmas and are thinking of redoing the family living room where our home theatre is located. In order to get the best visuals we are thinking about mounting the projector onto our ceiling. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is it difficult? Do we need any special equipment? Is it secure? Will we need to replace the projection screen? My husband is not that handy so this will have to be an easy job to do.

Thanks for your help.

Louisa

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Ceiling Mounted Projectors

Postby grayfox » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:48 am

Hello there!

Hope all is great, congrats on the remodel! So I imagine you would need to start with the hardware needed. heres a basic list of things you would need to help you get started and a question to follow up.

-Connections from Game console to Projector

-Connections for power source to Projector

-Universal Ceiling Mount for Front Projectors

-Maybe a Projector screen

Now, does your projector have HDMI outputs? Are you planning on painting a certain part of the wall to project on (popular choice, some even frame it!) or some type of retractable projector screen?

Please feel free to Google some of these terms and get back to me!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:34 am

Hi Louisa,

I'm assuming your basement has a flat mail ceiling about 8 feet high, which is the easiest type of ceiling to work with.

Step 1: Make sure you buy the correct ceiling mount. There aren't any generic ceiling mounts. You'll need to buy an Optoma ceiling mount.

Step 2: You will need to calculate your screen height formula: measure your ceiling and subtract three feet. This will be your maximum screen height. Then you will need to figure out your maximum screen width formula by multiplying the maximum screen height 1.78.

Step 3: Once you know what the screen dimensions will be then you'll need to figure out the throw distance -- how far back to install the projector should be in order to give you the properly sized images. Throw distance depends on your particular projector model. Check your Optoma manual and see what it recommends.

Step 4: So once you have your measurements, then it will be time to actually mount the projector. You will need to use a stud finder to locate the ceiling studs within the range of your screen-to-projector distance. Secure the projector to the stud using lag bolts that are at least 7.6 cm (3 inches) long and 7.9 mm (.3125 inches) wide. Your user manual and the instructions in the mounting kit will tell you more. Make sure your power cables can be run from the projector to the outlet.

Step 5: Once everything is mounted, then turn on the projector to adjust the zoom, lens shift and focus so you can get the desired image. Your user guide can also help you with this.

You can find more information in our article: Mounting your 1080p projector on the ceiling: [url]http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2013/06/22/mounting-your-1080p-projector-on-the-ceiling/[/url]

I hope this helps. Good luck with the installation.

Cheers,

Shelagh

Admin-assistant
[i]"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today."

-Mark Twain[/i]

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:38 am

Hey thanks for that info. It definitely helped. I'm nervous about ordering over the Internet. Is there anything I should look for when buying the ceiling mount? I know I need to get the same manufacturer as my projector and it looks like there is a lot of places selling Optoma ceiling mounts. I've just worried about getting something counterfeit since it seems there is a problem with generic projector lamps and parts. Do I need to worry about the ceiling mount kits? Is it as important as OEM projector lamps that it be original and not a knoc-off? Can you direct me to someplace that is legitimate and sells projection ceiling mount kits? The other silly question I have: do I need to know the projector model number before ordering or all Optoma ceiling mounts the same?

Thanks for the help,

Louisa

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Thank you Shelagh!

I always like going for the original products myself, and I found some mounts at http://optomausa.com/products/Accessories/Mounts and they seem to fit a wide array of Optoma projectors, I would recomend having your model number handy at the time of ordering just to make sure. They list the specifications, in my opinion a hinged low profile ceiling mount would better increase the angle depending on the height of your ceiling. Have you done any measuring?

I tried looking into the installation kits but I assume not all screws are included for every type of install... Maybe a visit to the local home depot will be in order.

If your room cannot accommodate for a ceiling installation you can always use a wall mount, like the short throw mount listed on the link.

I will look a little more into this and try to provide more help, keep us posted!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Grayfox,

Thanks so much for that link to the Optoma projector site. We found our model -- geesh can`t remember the number now and ordered it directly. I feel more comfortable buying the ceiling mount directly from an OEM manufacturer. I called the Optoma service department and the ceiling mount kit comes with all the necessary screws -- everything to install it except the drill and the handyman LOL. I`m going to google some DIY guides for ceiling mounted projectors. I have the user manual somewhere so maybe that is a good place to start. Any suggestions you give are welcome. I love my husband dearly but he is not the best handyman around. Thanks again. Always good to have some expert advice.

Sincerely,

louisa

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:00 pm

Glad to help. Information was limited on their site, thank goodness for over the phone customer service right?

Its really nice of them to provide all the necessary hardware, when I finished helping my friend with his Home theater system a while back (we also did a front projector install as a secondary screen) we took several trips to home depot..

From that experience I believe I can share that once you have the mounting screws and bolts out, that you follow the instructions included with the mount (obviously) but especially with what size and type of drill bit to use for your particular ceiling, you want to get the screws in tight at the correct torque and pressure.

I also recommend maybe Best Buy or such, to get a flat HDMI cable in the length needed. These "flat" cord HDMI cables are easy to hide against the wall and bend around walls, corners, etc. If you will be connecting more than one device and the Receiver you are using does not allow to output the video for many devices to the projector using just one HDMI output, you might also want to pick up an HDMI Auto Switch. They come in many sorts, like HDMI 3-In 1-Out, that one will allow 3 devices to send video to the projector with just one HDMI cable and they automatically detect which device is on.

Lastly, I am pretty sure your projector relays the input sound and has audio output jacks on it, these do not necessarily need to be used! You can save having another cable running from your ceiling mounted projector to the audio equipment by using the "audio outputs" on the devices that you will be using, and plug them directly onto your Audio Receiver. If you can provide a list of the devices, players or gaming consoles, I can help make a wiring diagram for you to map your brand new home theater system.

Even with all these areas to cover, I think you can still make it in time for Super Bowl XLVIII.

PS: If your husband is involved during the installation he will learn a lot and save you guys in maintenance or upgrades in the future.

JJP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JJP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Hey everyone,

Interesting post. I hadn't considered doing the ceiling mount option with my home theater. What are the benefits? Does it give you a better picture. We just have ours on a high table with the legs raised as high as possible. Our home theater is in a basement so the ceilings are a bit low -- if there a specific height requirement for this? It sounds like installation is not that hard, well maybe not for Louisa's hubbie, LOL!

JJ

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ceiling Mounted Projectors & broken lamp!

Postby Louisa80 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 am

Hey gang,

Ok, so the ceiling mount arrived for our Optoma Theme Scene H55 projector. I've downloaded the Optoma Theme Scene H55 manual from the website and got the chart. There is even a section describing the HDMI cable hook ups along with the aspect ratio chart. I used your your instructions for figuring out the throw distance and ratio (BTW -- great article explaining the concept and math). Everything was going smoothly. We got the studs in and the mount almost ready. Hubbie put the projector in backwards into the brackets so we had to get it out. He put the projector on the couch and the dog jumped up onto the couch. The projector did a backfliip and fell onto the floor. We heard glass breaking. Is the projector toast? I think it's probably a broken projector lamp but is there anyway to tell? What is the next step? I knew it was going too smoothly.

geesh...

Louisa

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Sorry to hear about that setback, and so close to Super Bowl XLVIII. Hopefully it is nothing big and like you mentioned, a simple blown bulb inside the projector maybe?

My first suggestion would be to remove the bulb and check to see if it is shattered. Can you provide me with the Optoma projector Model Number and if possible the lamp code to help you find the best bulb made from Philips at a great price and that ships same day, so you can finish your installation ASAP.

I hope you can resume with the installation in time for the game!

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:32 am

Hey Grayfox,

We didn't get it together for the Superbowl but it was a bit of a washout game anyway. Our DLP projector model is Optoma Theme Scene H55 projector. We opened up the projector and there is broken glass inside -- definitely the lamp broken. I have no idea where to buy the lamp. I found one on ebay listed as Optoma BL-FU200A Projector Lamp SP.83601.001C. Is it okay to buy from ebay or Amazon? The prices seem good but there doesn't seem to be a guarantee with these lamps. Can you recommend where to get a replacement. Changing the lamp is easy, right?

Sincerely,

Louisa

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:38 am

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Hello Louisa,

I found your lamp number with the codes and model you provided, "Optoma BL-FU200A Projector Lamp Replacement" I believe the bulb code itself is SP.83601.001C. I provided a link below. I do have high hopes this is a simple lamp replacement but we will not know until you give it a try! I strongly recommend, to get the brightest picture possible, to select a Philips brand bulb with housing ( the housing because I do not know the status of the broken lamp and it is not worth the risk to your TV!). Now the reason I am directing you to a Philips authorized distributor is because unlike Amazon and eBay, they can guarantee (and warranty) that you will be getting a Philips brand bulb. There are a lot of knock offs and they sell because they turn on, but they do not deliver the performance, lifespan or brightness of an Original Philips Bulb!

https://www.discount-merchant.com/p-1630-optoma-bl-fu200a-lamp-replacement-sp83601001c.aspx

Let us know as soon as you replace the lamp!

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey grayfox,

Thanks for much for that information. I checked out Discount Merchant and prefer their customer service to ebay and Amazon (lol what am I talking about there is no customer service from those two sites). I spoke with a customer service agent and order my Optoma BL-FU200A SP.83601.001C lamp. It should be here shortly and we can try the big replacement. I've downloaded the H55 user guide and found the lamp replacement section. It looks fairly straight forward. I also checked your blog about changing the Optoma projector lamp. Very useful so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2013/11/20/changing-the-optoma-theme-scene-h55-projector-lamp/

I will keep you posted.

Hey JJ: any decisions on mounting your projector. Would love to hear how it went for you?

have a great day!

Louisa

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Hello Louisa,

Yes Discount Merchant is also my top pick for replacement bulbs, not only to ensure I am getting a Philips, but because if I ever have a doubt their customer service is there 7 days a week on the phone and online. Let me know once you exchange this, hopefully once you exchange the lap this will fire back up and you can toss your old cracked bulb back to Discount-Merchant.com's recycling program!

Hello JJ,

What model projector do you have? Mounting it on the ceiling is best for achieving a great angle for the picture displayed, so depending on the model you have looking into a ceiling mount might be a good idea, basements are mostly the best environment for a projector due to the lack or short windows. There are some low/high profile mounts that allow for the closest flush mount with your ceiling. Please provide me the model and make so I can look further into your options.

Louisa80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Louisa80 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Hello Grayfox and company,

We replaced the lamp in our Optoma Theme Scene H55 projector. I got a bit confused with the manual but then found you have a lamp replacement guide on your site as well: http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2013/11/20/changing-the-optoma-theme-scene-h55-projector-lamp/

I put the link in for anyone else who needs help with this -- thanks for making it so easy. It boosted our confidence.

We had our first family night viewing in our new room. It was great. No clutter, no cables to step over. There was plenty of room for everyone and if felt like our own private cinema. The growing pains setting up our home theater was totally worth it. And for sure, we know what NOT to do next time around (that includes NOT putting the projector on the springy couch cushion!)

Thanks again for the help.

All the best,

Louisa :)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Hello Louisa,

I am glad to hear everything worked out. And yes you got very lucky only the lamp was damaged, I should have provided that guide for replacing the bulb ( http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2013/11/20/changing-the-optoma-theme-scene-h55-projector-lamp/ ) but I completely forgot. The great thing about purchasing from Discount-Merchant.com, aside from the warranty on original Philips, is that they provide a lot of support if you happen to encounter any issues. When I get stumped with a problem or need a replacement part I call their 800-281-8860, as plan B of course, you will always have this thread. Hopefully you wont need us soon!

Enjoy your new home cinema!

Return to “Projectors”