Samsung HPS423X/XAA

Plasma televisions have come a long way and are becoming more and more common for those who want blacker blacks, and amazing picture quality!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
def
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HPS423X/XAA

Postby def » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Upon power up, the receiver goes through the normal start up attempt then shuts off after about 5-6 seconds.

Where do I start? Give me some things to look at like check for bulging capacitors on the PS board, that kind of thing.

Once I have the receiver fixed, a case of beer to the correct diagnosis.

Thank you

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung HPS423X/XAA

Postby grayfox » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Hello,

for this LCD screen it would be smart to begin with the Power Supply as you suggest, if you are handy with a multimeter a grid should be available somewhere online, unfortunately when I search I come only across your posts! do you know if there is an alternative model number to your tv? It might be on the back of the TV.

as long as when it is on there is no image distortion this might just require swapping out the PS for a new one...
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

def
Contributor
Contributor

Postby def » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 am

Hey Fox, thanks. The set is not mine but belongs to a fellow with limited resources. He knows I repaired my dLp Samsung and now believes me to be an expert...not so.

I am friendly with a VOM so, I'll look for the PS layout and tests. As for the m/n, I'll have to check further on the rear of the receiver as you say.

Now, if this were my BMW motorcycle, we would not be having this conversation. That thing is a dream to work on. The two cylinders are just hangin' out there asking to be tinkered with.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm

you ride, that is great, whats in your garage?

BMWs are beautiful, I fly on a Buell 1125R. Theres something keeping me tied to a Harley engine with a belt drive. Or maybe I just do not like Japanese bikes?

Well let me know if anything from the TV develops and I can be of any service.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

def
Contributor
Contributor

Postby def » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 pm

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu May 28, 2015 1:16 am

Hehe they are an acquired taste, the engineering behind the cosmetic is however brilliant.

And yes, about Buell, too bad they are spanning into a more capitalistic business plan and expanding their operations to India and the smaller engine/bike market =( his work on the early Dynas was formidable!

def
Contributor
Contributor

Postby def » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:12 am

Update. .......

The PS board was full of failed capacitors. I ordered replacements from China...$10.00 shipped. The receiver is working fine.

Now, the BMW is getting new fuel lines, fuel filter and brake lines.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Glad you were able to fix the plasma TV, did you document any pictures of the board with the bad capacitors?
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

def
Contributor
Contributor

Postby def » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:59 am

Chubbs, no photos. The fat power supply capacitor damage was evident. I removed one so I could get a good look at the specifications. One was so bad that the plastic was split and loose. As an amateur, I was able to identify the issue. I ordered replacements from China. The desoldering took more time than anything else.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Hello again Def,

Wow good job, re soldering a new capacitor is no amateur task! consider yourself in the top 10% of "techie handymen" in this country. You would be surprised how many men do not know what a soldering tool/iron is, let alone a capacitor!

I hope you BMW bike is running like new, be safe out there. The CFO at my company just got re acquainted with his Beemer bike, a GT 1200 I believe I am not familiar with BMW bikes, but I took it for a spin and 6 speed with drive shaft is more than enough torque!

Regards

Return to “Plasma Televisions”