Dell W4200HD no sound or video

Plasma televisions have come a long way and are becoming more and more common for those who want blacker blacks, and amazing picture quality!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
kgodoy

Postby kgodoy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 pm

]I have a Dell W4200HD plasma TV that after pressing the power button, I hear a click as if it's about to power on and then 4 seconds later another click then it powers off. No display and no sound. I did some Google searches and found out that this is a common issue with this TV. I opened it up and surely enough the power supply had bulging capacitors (the two 1000uF ones). So I did what most people suggested which was to replace the power supply and just as extra precaution the sub power supply. Same issue. However, with the back cover off and powering it on I noticed that there is a red light on the power supply. Does this indicate an issue on the power supply itself or elsewhere? I'm thinking I was sold a faulty power supply. Also, I'd like to know if replacing the two bulging capacitors on the old power supply myself would solve the issue. I have limited knowledge on repairing electronics (hence why I replaced the entire board) but I'd be willing to try it out if that fixes it. Another thing is that I did a visual inspection and didn't notice any other bulging capacitors or burned areas. I don't smell any burn anywhere.

by , on Flickr

Any help would be appreciated!

Ken

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Dell W4200HD no sound or video

Postby grayfox » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 am

Hello,
The blinking red light means it is going into "protect mode" basically meaning there's a short somewhere or a blown capacitor. This board needs to be repaired but more effectively replaced! :?
hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Narmbeerm

Postby Narmbeerm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Update - In case anyone cares I got this to work with the optical cable. Not sure what I did different but all of a sudden there was sound coming out of my speakers. Wish I didnt have to use optical but I guess this is the only way

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Dell W4200HD no sound or video

Postby grayfox » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:43 pm

:(
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Plasma Televisions”