Vizio P50HDM XSUS board

Plasma televisions have come a long way and are becoming more and more common for those who want blacker blacks, and amazing picture quality!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
xlm

Vizio P50HDM XSUS board

Postby xlm » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I have a Vizio P50HDM.

We had a repair tech tell us that the XSUS board had gone out on our TV, hence the purchase of the above eBay item (Vizio P50HDM XSUS board). But I'm curious to determine what my chances of success are when the board is replaced. It wasn't difficult at all to determine this particular board was faulty. The tech unhooked the ribbons leading from the board to the display and when he powered the set back on for more diagnostic readings, he released some magic smoke from this board in the process. I guess my fear is that replacing this board doesn't completely solve the problem and having a fault on another board just destroys this one in the process all over again.

Any tech data or repair information would be appreciated.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Vizio P50HDM XSUS board

Postby ovadoggvo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 pm

xlm,
The X-Sustain board and the Y-Sustain board are common problems on these Vizio P50HDM and P50HDTV sets. The Y-Sustain board (P/N: 6870QYC004A 6870QYC004B 6870QYC004C 6871QYH039A 6871QYH039B 6871QYH039C, 6870QYC104A, 6870QYC104B, 6870QYC104C, 6870QYC104D, EBR30597501) is the most common failure on these TV sets. You will normally hear a pop noise or a loud zapping noise when either of these Sustain boards (or high voltage boards) go bad.

The power from the power supply flows through the Y-SUSTAIN first then to the X-SUSTAIN (P/N: 6870QZC004A, 6870QZC004B, 6870QZC004C, 6871QZH044A, 6871QZH044B, 6871QZH044C, 6870QZC104A, 6870QZC104B, 6870QZC104C). If you unplug the X-SUS, you should still get power to flow through the Y-SUS...

Power Supply sends ~196V DC to the Y-SUS,
Then the Y-SUS sends ~196V & 60V out to the X-SUS.

Have the technician check with that information to see if the Y-SUS is sending the proper voltage to the X-SUS. There you should be able to tell whether one board or both boards are bad.

In very rare cases, when the X-SUS goes bad, so does the Y-SUS (and vice versa)... And at times the lower buffer boards on the TV short out to cause the X-SUS to go bad.

In short: 3 - Common problems with these TVs:

1 - Most common = Y-SUS and can be found here for $154.99:

2 - 2nd Most Common = X-SUS and can be found here for $154.99:

3 - 3rd Most Common (but rare) = Mid lower buffer board

I haven't found anywhere else to sell these parts close to this price with the same quality and peace of mind as Discount-Merchant.com... I highly recommend them.

Let us know how it goes.

WereDOOMED
Contributor
Contributor

Postby WereDOOMED » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:49 pm

WOW, I didn't see this post...Who's Discount-Merchant.com ? I don't think their an authorized Vizio parts distributor. Have you bought anything from them?

ServicePro
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby ServicePro » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Discount-Merchant.com is a "sponsor" of FixYourDLP.com. They host the domain or somehow compensate the guys at FixYourDLP, whatever the case, I'm purchased from them and their top rate. No compliants. Website online tracking really helps when you've got multiple parts coming in for different customers and you can distinguish with POs and realtime information. I hate calling some venders (I wont name then) that make me wait on hold for 10+ mins just to tell me my part is still not in stock and they have no ETA on when it will be in stock..."call us in a few days" is not an option for us servicers.

Anyway, if these guys have it on their site, they ship it same or next day.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:17 am

Our service center orders from them 3-4 times a week. All of our DLP lamps come from them and so do nearly all the parts. I assume we get very special pricing from them. I personally have ordred quite a bit of parts from them as well for repairs I do on my off time. I don't know what the price break is that we get as a business because they won't give that information, all I know is that we must give them $1000's a week just from our California location. They must get 3-4 times that when you put all of our locations together. I'm estimating that we go through 50-60 DLP lamps alone per week. Point being, yes they are reliable and I do recommend them. They play a major part with Philips distribution because if you call Philips for any DLP lamp, they reffer you directly to these guys as they don't sell them direct.

If Philips headquarters recommends them, I deem them reliable.

ServicePro
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby ServicePro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:02 am

Here's a pic of the X-SUSTAIN BOARD!

jemtech

Postby jemtech » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:51 pm

hello i have a p50hdm and just finished replacing the y and x Sus boards now
every thing works fine the only thing is there are red flashing pixels on the
screen. i read some where that i might have to make a adj..
please help or if you can point me in the right dir.
stefan

The original problem why I purchased the parts was that it just turned off and never came back on. The green LED would flash 10 times and then would stop.

dicepackage

Postby dicepackage » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:14 am

I have a P50HDTV that is having some problems. I get audio but no picture.

I replaced the buffer board but have diagnosed the problem as the Y-sustain board. I want to replace the Y-board but is it necessary to replace the buffer board with only about ten minutes of use on the buffer boards? I have heard that if either the buffer board or Y-sustain board is bad it could short the other and would like to know if that is true. If I do need to replace the buffer board should I do both?

Figneuman

Postby Figneuman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:57 am

So I replaced both Y and Z boards but still no picture, only sound. But I might also add that I got the control boards we from 2 different companies. Do you know what i should do next because I have already invested money into the repair, I want to continue fixing it. But my mane question is, what should my next step be to fixing the TV

Return to “Plasma Televisions”