using a generic lamp in my dlp?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
TNTExplosives
Contributor
Contributor

using a generic lamp in my dlp?

Postby TNTExplosives » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:12 pm

The're a lot cheaper and I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep the set. what's the official word on the Chinese brands?

Eddie

Re: using a generic lamp in my dlp?

Postby Eddie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:27 pm

--

Eddie

WereDOOMED
Contributor
Contributor

Postby WereDOOMED » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Doesn't using generic parts void your warranty too? I thought I saw that somewhere.

rubyshine
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rubyshine » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:09 am

[/color]

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:36 pm

I think what ruby means is don't think twice about not purchasing the correct product for your television. Most TVs use Philips lamps as the OEM, so you'd be a fool to buy the generic products.
--

Eddie

BuyMySXRD
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BuyMySXRD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:59 am

Okay, then tell me this! My SXRD was still under warranty in Jan 2009, I purchased the set in Feb 2006. That stock lamp lasted right at 3 years. Under my extended warranty I had them come and replace lamp and clean out the cobwebs...that was last January..last night the new lamp popped. What is that, eight months! I pulled out the lamp and got a gander at it. It was a Philips, but I also noticed they put in a 100 watt lamp. I looked up the specs on Sony's site and it should have been a 120 watt! This February will be 4 years I have had this tv. Two years into it I got the dreaded yellow stain...they fixed that and not had a problem since. I did notice after they changed my lamp, in the lower right corner of the screen, when there is a white background, a small (maybe 2 or 4 inches) dark spot...you can only see it if the whole screen is light so you hardly ever notice it. But now I am wondering if that lower rated lamp could have been the cause of that! I didn't know they made a lower watt lamp that would fit this tv (kdsr50xbr1 sxrd)...and that just burns me up! And the thing is, it was a philips bulb that shouldn't have more then 3000 hours on it!! The philips 120 watt is rated for 6000 plus (and I proved that by my first lamp at 9500 hours)...so, I don't take much stock in the comment that you should be putting in a philips! of course, them putting in a lower rated lamp "might" have helped it along but I just don't think so.....

Just remember....there is "Original OEM" and "OEM Compatable".... the latter passing less stringent standards (not by the original manufacturer) for "affordability"!!

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm

You've got to be careful for those warranty techs.

This isn't a slight to techs out there, but some techs will grab whatever lamp that will work. A Sony TV should not use a 100w lamp. It needs 120w P22h typically. And if you check with Philips, those run 100/120w. You can check the date code on the lamp to make sure they aren't selling you a used or out-of-date stock lamp too, which sounds like something they may have done.

I'm pretty sure Philips doesn't make the plain 100w lamp anymore. Most of their lamps, especially for larger television manufactures are the dual wattage like 100/120, 120/132, 132/150, 150/180. The only one they probably still do 100w is the P23h, a larger lamp for older projection television sets.
--

Eddie

guitarman051
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarman051 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:04 am

bfnaci

Postby bfnaci » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:25 am

Guys,
I just read the posts about OEM vs Generic and I have no problem spending a few more bucks for the Phillips lamp. I just pulled out the lamp from my LG DLP and its a OSRAM lamp.
I found the lamp for $107. on a web site. My TV is about 5 years old, what if it needs a ballast too. Im spending a lot of money on a TV thats about to see the end of its days.
Do you think I should just call is quits on this TV?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

bfnaci

Postby bfnaci » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:27 am

Guys,
I just read the posts about OEM vs Generic and I have no problem spending a few more bucks for the Phillips lamp. I just pulled out the lamp from my LG DLP and its a OSRAM lamp.
I found the lamp for $107. on a web site. My TV is about 5 years old, what if it needs a ballast too. Im spending a lot of money on a TV thats about to see the end of its days.
Do you think I should just call is quits on this TV?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Philips lamps are really the way to go. Unless you have a mitsu. I noticed that they burn up philips way before the estimated 8000 hrs. But this have originally Osram lamps. (some Mitsu models) Like... Model: wd-5262a.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm

thank you for sharing that experience! I'll take the opportunity to mention that for my customers lamp replacements I have used only Philips original brand lamps and I have had the best feedback in comparison to generics.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “All About Lamps”