Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
henryhenry
Contributor
Contributor

Lamp had loose glass bits

Postby henryhenry » Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi all,

My Samsung DLP HDTV has had a problem where it turns off then on repeatedly recently. It turns off about 1-2min after it is turned on, the green lamp light flashes, then turns on again after a few seconds. Then the whole cycle repeats, off, on, off, on.

After freaking out at the thought of having to buy a new TV I checked the bulb. Pulled out the housing, and stared at the bulb. Didnt look out of place, the metal filaments seemed intact. But when I gave the lamp housing a shake I heard loose bits, then shook it some more only to have little bits of glass fall out the bulb vent holes. Upon closer inspection i noticed that the end of the glass column thing which contains the metal filament, and where the other length of metal filament joins, the glass seemed to be chopped off at the tip.

I suspect that I need a new lamp considering it is missing some glass bits. However I'd like to confirm if what I have described above about the glass column, especially the bit at the tip of the glass 'column', is normal or not. That way I'll be able to isolate the problem of my TV to the bulb.

I should add that I've since put back the lamp in the TV for now, and nothings changed sadly, the TV switches on, there is a picture for a few minutes, then it proceeds with the off/on/off/on cycle, same problem.

Your help much appreciated.
I may take a picture later if that is required.

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Lamp had loose glass bits

Postby johnrot » Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi Henry*2, well first of all have you ever replaced the lamp before on this TV???????? how old is your tv???????? and if you ever replaced the lamp how old it is??????????
[b][color=#BF00FF]WE ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW[/color][/b]

henryhenry
Contributor
Contributor

Postby henryhenry » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 am

g'day johnrot,

My TV is 4.5 years old, so it is in the target audience of needing a new bulb. It's never had a bulb changed. I've tried pulling out the old one to inspect it, and Ive put it back in for now. It seems really easy to do.

I have a bulb and housing on order from discount merchant. Price seemed reasonable.

I am really hoping its just the bulb and not other things.. I've since read a little bit yesterday evening... and the list of potential problems - ballast, colour wheel... ugh... sounds $$$expensive.
The mystifying thing is, that the existing old bulb does light up and the TV doesnt display the usual error warning lights that the bulb is defective. It only tells me something is wrong by turning on and off.

So far I have put the TV in quarantine until a new bulb is fitted, in fear that I'll fry the ballast if I continue with the old bulb.

I've checked Fedex and it says it is due to arrive on Monday, which is really quick! Its getting sent from San Diego to Sydney Australia. It's probably quicker than if I had tried to order from Australia somewhere. Definately cheaper though, as I've seen them listed on Australian sites for almost x2 price.

I'll report how I go when I install the new bulb.
Ive read some bad stories about Samsung DLP, hope mine's got more life in her, its been a V good TV thus far.

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby johnrot » Thu May 06, 2010 6:36 pm

hi henryhenry, ok i see well regarless of anykind of issue you need a new lamp thats great because you just ordered it, so now the important thing to check is NOISES, when you turn the TV on do you hear any kind of weird noises??? not the fan, like buzzing ( electicity ),rapidly clicking, humming, whirling, grinding, high pitch sound????????? if you dont hear any kind of weird noises it seems like everything could be ok :ugeek:

henryhenry
Contributor
Contributor

Postby henryhenry » Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 am

So I got the new lamp and installed it, and very happy to report that all is well with the TV
The picture was so bright I had to tone it down. The previous bulb was so dim that I had it at 100 brightness.
All good now!

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby johnrot » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

that's great!!! im glad that you're ok with the TV :)

Return to “All About Lamps”