dlp lamp or ballast?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
ssd
Contributor
Contributor

dlp lamp or ballast?

Postby ssd » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:01 pm

I am having a problem with I beleive my ballast. My lamp is under a year old with low hrs. I am getting the 3 lights indicating bad lamp, from your other discussions sounds like it could be a ballast. I am wondering if there is a way to test the ballast instead of just buying lamps and ballasts for no reason?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: dlp lamp or ballast?

Postby Angel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm

Did you reset your lamp timer? instructions here:

Do you hear any clicking noise? Then your ballast is the problem.

Hope this helps.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

ssd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ssd » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm

I did reset the counter but I did not hear any clicking. The bulb has under a thousand hours. I was wondering if there was any other positive way to identify the problem other than the clicking? thanks

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Ok, first of all:

How did this problem start?
Did your TV turn off suddenly? or It just didn't turn ON one day?

Do you have sound?
Did you have sound when the TV turned OFF? (if that is the case).

ssd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ssd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Yes, the tv turned off suddenly. My father was watching it with sound and it just went off. He did not see the led lights. He could not turn it back on so he unplugged it and plugged it back in. Was able to turn it on. Later that day while he was watching the tv again, it went off. Notice the led lights and did nothing. When I went to look at it, the three led lights were on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to see if it would come on. It came on for a flash, not long enough for the satelite to register a picture and went off again, all three led lights came on. Can't say whether there was any sound in the instant that it flashed, I would say no but there was sound when he was watching it.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Well, if you already checked the bulb and is ok, then the problem is most probably the ballast. However, have you checked the color wheel?

ssd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ssd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Hello again, was hoping I would not have to be back to this :( but I am. I was final able to hear clicking of what I thought was the ballest so we had replaced it. 8/8/09 before replacing it we had turn on the tv, it came on and then with in 30 sec we could hear a clicking on & off several times as the lamp flashed on and then off and then rebooted to come on and then off again and then the led lights came on, we were sure the ballast was the problem. Well the Tv has gone off again and the three light are on. the color wheel had been replaced may 2008. You made had refrenced to the color wheel during our first problem solving mission. U asked whether we had tested the color wheel. how do we do that and could it be that the ballast is a bad one. Is there a way to test the ballast? I am electrician and have a mult meter. the lamp does have 2409 hrs/ on it as of 7/15/09, the lamp was installed july 2008. our first blub only lasted 3000 hrs/5 years, we didn't watch much tv? Does flipping between channels cause any problems? I believe that turning the tv on/off is not good for it? The tv is 6 years and 4 months old is it time to give up?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:12 pm

vZwire
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vZwire » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:18 am

Maybe you are trying too hard. I was just about to start ordering a new lamp, ballast, etc. Then I tried this-

I had the same issue. Started yesterday, and after approx. 12 hours of online research and trial and error, I finally fixed it with ZERO cost.

First of all, I knew my bulb wasn't out because it (the bulb) would come on, then the tv would shut down...then 3 lights of death.

I read a post somewhere that the little switch right by the panel that you take off to access the lamp sometimes goes out.
This switch is to prevent the tv from turning on when the panel is removed.

I unscrewed the one screw that connects this switch to the bottom of the tv set.
I unplugged the switch. The switch has two pins that connect to a wire with two "female" connectors.
I went to the garage and grabbed a 4" length of insulated wire.
Stripped the two ends, and stuck each end into the female connectors, thus bybassing the switch.

Voila! Not a single issue since!ybe you trying too hard... I was about to start ordering a new lamp, ballast, etc... then I tried this:

angelprincess4119
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angelprincess4119 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 am

I agree with v, try this. It can't hurt anything. I did and that ended up being my problem too. :D

CHAMPDDS

Postby CHAMPDDS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:34 pm

I have the same issue as the OP with my HLP4663wx/xaa.....4 1/2 years no problem, lamp replaced less than 6 months ago...started going out again, but different symptoms this time...sometimes would get just an erratic pciture, sometimes it would just freeze a scene, sometimes it would just go black (always audio okay)...lamp look prestine (versus the OE i replaced before, which was obviously bad)...three lights blinking on panel....online chat with Samsung was TOLD that three lights blinking is 100% the lamp, so I sent it back under warranty, it was tested, guess what...it is okay, and now I am paying again to have it shipped back....I am not happy with Samsung Tech Agent's cockiness in guaranteeing me it was the lamp (he was, and I quote "100% sure it was no other component", since the three light blinking could ONLY be that)

Before I move on to a plasma...I figure I will drop 100 bucks and get a new ballast for a try...my problem is:

1) I hear no clicking (ballast trying), but is it possible to not always have this as a symptom ? Or is no clicking a sign it is something other than the ballast ?
2) If it is the ballast, would that not always be a blank screen/lamp not firing, versus the still image or erratic image that sometimes occurred.
3) If the ballast is bad, is it a 100% failure, and it won't work after that, or is it possible for it to have sporadic abiltiy to fire up the lamp, and then shut off after the tv is on for a while..

David

nautilus11
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nautilus11 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:33 pm

fjrdrum

Postby fjrdrum » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a Hitachi 50VS69A. I got this TV for free and the owner didn't know what was wrong with it, but it won't turn on. When you plug the TV in, the ballast makes a buzzing sound for a couple of seconds and a component on the ballast board glows blue, then it will stop buzzing and the blue glow will go away. This continues to cycle until I unplug the TV. All three lights blink on the front of the tv while this is all taking place. I ordered a bulb, because a local tv repair guy told me to start there, but I don't think that is the answer and he wouldn't help me past that. Please advise.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Hello fjrdrum.
That buzzing sound may be coming from the color wheel instead. Try to inspect it physically. Look for any broken pieces, scratched or discolored glass or even if the color wheel doesn’t spin freely. Also clean the inside of the TV to try to discard overheating as the source of the problem. If there is nothing suspicious, try replacing the ballast.
Hope this helps you out, have more questions? Feel free to ask.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Samsung Discussion”