Samsung HLR-4677W - no image

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
ruff66n15tx
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLR-4677W - no image

Postby ruff66n15tx » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Subject: No picture with Samsung HLR-4677W DLP HDTV from a newbie...

Bought Samsung HLR-4677W DLP HDTV in 2005 – been good TV. Had a few rare occurrences of an all “green” screen or an all “static” screen that would go away when I re-started the TV. Never had to replace the main lamp bulb. About 4-5 months ago, TV started to have a loud whine sound when TV turned on (had picture and sound), but it would quit the whine after a couple of minutes. Then loud whine would not stop, but still had picture/sound. I used this forum to figure out it was a color wheel bearing. Got a new color wheel assembly on Amazon (did not know about discount-merchant option until later in this “saga”). The old color wheel was not broken, but it did not “turn” freely. Replaced color wheel, using instructions/youtubes from internet. TV turned on & worked perfectly. No whine!!!

After working fine for 3 months, I cut TV on 1 day, it worked for about 3 minutes, then picture froze and no sound. Re-booted the set top box and TV several times. Unplugged / re-plugged in TV several times – no luck. No picture and no sound. It was plugged into surge protector all the time.

Spent hours going through blogs looking for help. Lamp was not burned out – could see it working with the cover off in back. Went to Discount Merchant and bought new lamp and another color wheel assembly. Changed out lamp even though could see old one was working. Changed out relatively new color wheel with the new one from DM. Old color wheel was not broken; when I manually spun it, it had about the same amount of spin of brand new one from DM. TV still didn’t work – same symptoms.

Here are the observations I made on the sights/sounds of the TV:

1. With TV plugged into a surge protector, the Standby/Temp light on the front of the TV was on (dim red).

2. Cut on TV with remote – On the front of the TV, the timer light blinked once and the lamp light on the front starting blinking about once every 2 seconds.

3. Within a second, hear a quick spin up sound (color wheel?), hear a click (ballast?) in TV, lamp fan starts, main lamp turns on (could see it from the back of the TV with the cover off).

4. Almost instantly, I hear a quick lower pitch spin down sound; then a quick high pitch spin up sound again?

5. No jingle start up sound. No 3 lights blinking on the front of the TV. No TV image (can see the dark screen is slightly illuminated, if you see it in the dark - just blank). Have no inputs plugged into the TV now (had to move it to a work area to take it apart).

6. Lamp indicator on front of TV is blinking every 2 seconds. It stops blinking after 1 minute.

7. Main Lamp in the TV was still on & fans still running. After another 2 minutes, hear a click and main Lamp/Fan turn off and I hear a quick high pitch whine spin down. TV ends up in standby mode.

I know this a long “description” of the issue. I am a first time user of this blog, so pardon if I’ve given too much detail. Did look at the ballast. All capacitors look fine – No bulging, no leaking. I’ve spent about $350 on two color wheels and one main lamp to no avail so far. I don’t know what to do next.

Any advice or thoughts on what to do next? Is there a service manual that might help me?

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Re: Samsung HLR-4677W - no image

Postby appleads » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:00 pm

You've done an impressive amount of homework and this forum is the right place to get expert advice. I only wish I was as knowledgeable as many of the other members. But here's what I know (or think I know). Yes, a service manual should be available through SamsungParts.com. My advice--sell your new color wheel and lamp. Your existing ones sound like they are fine. It MIGHT be a ballast issue, and if it is, then this is a $20 fix and worth trying. But for my money, I suspect your video board/control board has gone bad. Remove your current DLP chip and buy a used control board. Swapping it out shouldn't be too bad of a job, as it sounds like you've already dug pretty deeply into your set already.

ruff66n15tx
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruff66n15tx » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 am

Appleads, Thanks for the input. Additional status since I last posted (Updates to my previous info and new info):

[b]UPDATE: THE TV MODEL NUMBER IS: HLR-4677WX.

[/b]

Here are still the current observations I made on the sights/sounds of the TV:

1. With TV plugged into a surge protector, the Standby/Temp light on the front of the TV was on (dim red). UPDATE: [b]ALSO THE GREEN LED 1 ON THE ANALOG BOARD IS ON.[/b]

2. Cut on TV with remote – On the front of the TV, the timer light blinked once and the lamp light on the front starting blinking about once every 2 seconds.

3. Within a second, hear a quick spin up sound (color wheel?), hear a click (ballast?) in TV, lamp fan starts, main lamp turns on (could see it from the back of the TV with the cover off).

4. Almost instantly, I hear a quick lower pitch spin down sound; then a quick high pitch spin up sound again? [b]UPDATE: I ALSO SEE ALL 3 GREEN LEDS ON THE ANALOG BOARD ARE ON[/b]

5. No jingle start up sound. No 3 lights blinking on the front of the TV. No TV image (can see the dark screen is slightly illuminated, if you see it in the dark). Have no inputs plugged into the TV now (had to move it work area to take it apart).

6. Lamp indicator on front of TV is blinking every 2 seconds. It stops blinking after 1 minute.

7. Main Lamp in the TV was still on & fans still running. After another 2 minutes, hear a click and Lamp/Fan turn off and I hear a high pitch whine spin down. TV ends up in standby mode. [b]UPDATE: THE GREEN LED 1 ON THE ANALOG BOARD IS STILL ON.[/b]

Any advice or thoughts on what to do next? Is there a service manual that might help me? [b]UPDATE: I DID GET THE SERVICE MANUAL FROM MANUALSZONE.COM; DOWNLOADED EASILY AND PRETTY GOOD DEAL.

A shortened version of the Flow Chart for Malfunction from the service manual:

1. Check if DMD Fan is running? YES

2. Can you see anything in the screen? NO

3. Does the LAMP turn on? YES

4. Check DVI Cable.. If necessary, replace DVI Cable. I did pull out my old voltmeter to be able to check continuity on the DVI cable, but it took this opportunity to die on me. Have ordered a new multimeter that comes tomorrow.

The next steps it says…

5. Check Cables connected to DMD Board.

6. If necessary, replace DMD Board.

I did look up DMD boards – from Samsung they are about $600 (ouch!), and they don’t seem to have mine (BP96-00249F). I checked ShopJimmy and e-bay as well (much cheaper), but no joy.[/b]

Any insight from anyone out there as to what I might do to the DMD? I’m not going to spend $600 on something that may not even work.

Guess more to follow once I check the DVI cable.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello,

Wow thanks for the detailed description!

Two things on the DMD board, I always hold off and let this be the last thing i replace unless I am getting white dots in the screen display, which would be the DMD chip.

The thing that most caught my attention was the whining noise.. it seems to fault at this point given the LED behavior. The colorwheel might be malfunctioning incorrect RPM, missing a panel or just unbalanced by now... have you taken a close look at the colorwheel physically? It normally lets out a very low almost inaudible hum, but if its screetching there has to be something wrong, I would begin there..

Since the lamp stays on I would rule out the ballast..

Since we cannot get an image but the buttons I assume respond I think the DMD is safe for now..

Since the DVI cable has to suffer some kind of trauma in order for it to be bad I would dismiss it, or just try another, however in 10 yrs ive never seen a bad DVI cable with the exception of one that was unpluged and had a pin bend when replugged....

I hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

ruff66n15tx
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruff66n15tx » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:26 am

Grayfox,

Thanks for the input. I don't think it's the colorwheel as I have 2 colorwheels that manually spin and are not missing any segments. Just got the newest one about a week ago. Still same problem There is only a faint high pitch spinning sound that is barely audible. My original colorwheel that failed made a loud screeching sound and would not manually spin. Never hear the jingle on boot up or when it a finally shuts down after 3 minutes. I did get my new multimeter and checked all the leads on the DVI cable. No break in continuity and no bent pins.

I did notice a new fun thing today - the fan that is right adjacent to the CableCARD slot is not working. It is on the very back of the TV on analog board I think. When this saga started a few months ago, I did see that it was working. Now it's not. The fan has 3 leads. I disconnected the fan and checked the voltage - one lead has 5v on it; and one is the ground. The other lead is called the FAN ERROR PIN, per the Samsung Service Manual Schematic on p 2-15 (Connection CN274). Can't tell if there are voltage changes in the 3rd lead during powering up of the TV. May be too fast for the meter. I looked through all the pages of the Service Manual and can't find direct reference to this fan or the expected voltages. I'm thinking that I can replace the fan, since it looks like if it is not working, it causes the TV to not work. There are other schematics in the service manual that show other fan, temperature and cover error alarms (p.7-43). I've got the Samsung part number (BP-96-00855A - it costs $36 at Samsung site). I looked up the vendor of the fan on the part (NONOIse F5010L 12B2-RS) and it is on e-Bay for $5.99 with free shipping, but it is used.

Any input on if this fan is not working, this causes my TV to not show any images on the screen.?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

ruff66n15tx
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruff66n15tx » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:05 am

The saga - symptoms are still the same. I did get a replacement for the fan right above the cablecard slot. Fan was not working so I thought I'd replaced it. New fan from eBay still does not work. Fan has 3 leads: yellow lead shows 5 volts all the time; black is the ground lead; red lead is some sort signaling lead that my voltmeter never detects anything on?

Had already put in 1 new main lamp and 2 new colorwheels. Main manual on/off button works and the remote works. But, still get no image on the screen except very dark gray - no images. Main lamp light is working (can see it cut on and stay on, so that means the colorwheel is spinning at the right speed, right? Never get a boot up "jingle". After 1 minute, the "lamp LED indicator" on the front quits flashing. After a total of 3 minutes, everything shuts down. Never get the shut down jingle.

Any final thoughts before I put TV on the curb?

Thanks for all inputs that have been provided...

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:30 am

Are you sure the ribbon from the color wheel is inserted correctly into the dmd board? Silver side faces the BACK of the tv. I have made this mistake before and it's an easy mistake to make. Double check ever plug and every connection, Otherwise, bad dmd board is my guess. Save your DMD chip. swap out your dmd board for a good used one. Costs about 50 or less. Your follow up will help others, so keep us posted.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”