Shuts off after 40 minutes

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Bikey

Shuts off after 40 minutes

Postby Bikey » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:24 am

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and hoping for some help. I have a HL - S5687w that's now 9 years old. It's been a wonderful TV all these years. It powers on just fine but will shut off after about 40 minutes or so. I usually wait 10 minutes or so before turning it back on. Any sooner and it'll just shut right off. After a short rest, it appears to behave normally. I've done a bit of digging around here and it looks like it may be time for a new ballast. I've watched a few videos and it doesn't look that complicated, just time consuming.

My questions are: should I go ahead and replace both fans at the same time? And, I've seen on the Samsung parts page that there is a thermostat available...should I replace that as well? If so, where is that located?

Thanks in advance for any help!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Shuts off after 40 minutes

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Hello,

Unless your fans are not working they should for the most part be OK. As far as the temp sensor it will most likely be on top of the lamp housing. Just to be sure since you are wanting to replace your ballast I am assuming you have a new lamp in the TV. If not it is definitely recommended to go with the new lamp before looking into replacing the ballast. Hope this helps. Please let us know of any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

bamagator
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bamagator » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 pm

After Repacing Lamp,Fans,Ballast and color wheel I found my issue was a faulty Temp sensor that resides on top of the lamp housing. after all that and the headaches it comes don to a $6.00 part. Go Figure.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for providing us with an update !

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:44 am

Thanks, guys. Believe it or not...my lamp is the original...over 9 years and it's still going. Maybe I'll replace the lamp and the thermostat first and see it that helps. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:35 pm

Bikey,

Just keep in mind that your old lamp can also cause your TV to shut down. Obviously if you do have a new lamp in there and the TV shuts down with the new lamp then there's a problem elsewhere. I just want you to be aware that these TV's are designed to start shutting down when the lamps lifespan is nearing its end. Pretty much it's like a safety feature to avoid the lamp from popping inside the TV. If you keep running the same lamp it's likely thats what will happen. If that was to happen though it's not a big deal other than maybe having to clean up some broken glass inside the TV. Definitely keep us updated though.

Best Regards,

appleads
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby appleads » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:58 pm

Many of us on this forum have encountered the "shut down" issue. Steps I would suggest taking are: 1. If the lamp is old, replace it with a good one. This may or may not fix the issue. Assuming it still shuts down, then 2. CLEAN the fans (there are two fans--I use Q-Tips soaked in Formula 409 to get the blades spotless) and vacuum/blow out any other dust. AND check all the capacitors in both the power supply and ballast. Capacitors look like Tootsie Rolls standing up. Feel the top. If it's bulging, the capacitor should be replaced by de-soldering it, removing it and soldering in a new one. This is easier than you might think even if you've never done it before. 3. If problem still exists, CHANGE the temp sensor on top of the lamp housing (about a $6 part) AND change the ballast (about a $30 part). 5. If problem still exists (and I seriously doubt it will if you've done all the above) then call it a day and harvest the parts and sell them on eBay. Use the money toward a new set.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”