Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bornitz
Contributor
Contributor

WD-62627 Lamp Issues

Postby bornitz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:22 am

Hi,

The lamp finally died on my WD62627 DLP purchased in 2006. I ordered a Philips replacement bulb (used original housing) and installed it. After reseting the TV from the vendor's instructions (hold power for 30 seconds) and then leave TV off for 20 minutes, everything worked great with a bright gorgeous picture.. for 2 weeks.

I noticed it taking a little longer for the picture to come on (last Friday night) before I lost the picture and got the solid RED lamp. So, I unplugged it from the wall, waited a few minutes, opened the back, removed (checked the housing) and reseated it, hoping that it would work. Closed up both doors, powered it up, same thing.. solid red light.

I called the merchant, and began the exchange process. The lamp showed NO sign of damage, filament looked intact. I imagine that defects are possible in a new lamp, but I am starting to think that something else is going on. So, I called 2 repair shops in the area and they both said that it’s more likely given the quality of the replacement lamp to be a bad ballast or color wheel, both cost prohibitive to diagnose/replace, and both beyond my knowledge and ability as a doit yourself project.

Once I receive the replacement lamp, install it into housing, make sure that all connectors are secure, install, and reset again are there any other things that I can look at before replacing the TV. This lamp cost $75 and seemed like a decent choice.

I noticed that in the manual, it mentions reseting the lamp timer from the on screen menu. The merchant tech support told me that holding the power button for 30 seconds while unplugged two times effectively did the same thing.

Any troubleshooting tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bonnie

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WD-62627 Lamp Issues

Postby admin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:04 pm

Hello,

More likely your problem is going to be the ballast. This is the second most common part to fail in these TV's. A weak ballast won't be able to power a new bulb. A new bulb requires more power from the ballast due to having all the mercury gas that they come with. A weak ballast will usually be able to power a used lamp but not a new one. A Lot of times consumers will think that the problem is the lamp that they purchased due to their old lamp still working but not the new one. This is because the old lamp has little mercury left and so it requires less power from the ballast. I would advise to reinstall the lamp you purchased and check to see if you hear any electrical buzzing type sounds as these would confirm the ballast needing to be replaced although they don't always make this sound. I would check with Discount Merchant to see if they have a ballast for you I know these are getting harder to find but I believe they still carry them. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
[i]"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today."

-Mark Twain[/i]

bornitz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bornitz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Thank you so much! The new replacement lamp from discount merchant should arrive in a few minutes and after installing/resetting the system, if it doesn't work, I will return it and buy a new TV. I believe that you are correct that the ballast is the problem, and for all of the reasons you mention. You have far more knowledge about these things and I truly appreciate your time. I'll let you know what happens after I install/reset. Thank you so much!

bornitz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bornitz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:56 pm

RIP 11 year old faithful. Sanitation will pick it up on Monday. I'm very pleased with the years of excellent picture that it gave me but the 2nd replacement lamp didn't work so it's the ballast and time for a new TV, Thanks again!

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear you weren't able to save your TV, and thanks for updating us. I was hoping you wouldn't give up on your projection TV. One thing I believe is that people weren't made aware of the maintenance these sets require. The lamp was pretty much the only thing the manufacturers mentioned as far as parts needing to replace after so many hours. Since there are other parts that just like the lamp are consumable I think they should of mentioned this also. Although I assume that was done to avoid lost sales. Whatever TV you end up going with I wish you endless viewing enjoyment.

Regards,
[i]"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today."

-Mark Twain[/i]

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”