Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

HD50LPW62AYX2

Postby redman3170 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

I hope I can get some good answers here! Like the title says I have a RCA 50 inch tv that someone gave me. This is the problem I'm having with it. The person that gave me the tv said it was working and all it needed was lamp because it blew and they were tired of putting money into it. First I tried to turn on the tv with the old lmp inside and nothing happened. Well I presided to buy a lamp. and I bought a 264866 lamp like the part # said on the lamp door. When I put the lamp in I got sound but no picture. But I also heard a sound coming from the back of the tv. An yes I was still getting sound. After a day of tryig to figure out what it was the sound went out and I had no more sound and no picture. So then I took of the back of the tv and turned on the tv and I would see a little resistor on the Ballast making a cracking sound while it seemed to me trying to fire the lamp. And yes I did have a click sound while holding down the switch for the back of the tv. My question is do I need a new Ballast or can I change out that resistor or is there something else going on with the tv? Thank You in advance for looking at my long post! Sorry about that!

mitchkramez
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: HD50LPW62AYX2

Postby mitchkramez » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:15 pm

if you have a multimeter you should check the voltage coming from the power supply -- set your meter to DC and put the probes on the two pins where the plug that runs to the ballast is. If you see somewhere between 320v and 400v your ps is probably ok... and since the bulb is most likely fine (since it's brand new) you can be fairly certain it's your ballast.

another thing to check, would be to remove the bulb, tape the lamp door switch down, and turn the tv on... look in the little window where the bulb points and make sure you see the color wheel spinning. If it's spinning at least you can be certain it's not a multitude of problems.

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:35 pm

mitchkramez Thanks for helping me out here! I did what you said to do and I got 324.7 with the Multimeter. And then I look through the hole where the lamp is supposed to go and the colorwheel is moving but it is also making noise while it is moving. i don't know if it needs something done to it or just because of the ballast is bad. And that's what I think the ballast is bad! Do you know where I can get one from and are they repairable? But again Thanks for the help!

mitchkramez
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby mitchkramez » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:34 pm

No problem redman -- Do you have any blinking lights on the front?

The color wheel does make a little bit of noise when it spins, so that's probably fine, unless it seems overly loud.

If you have blinking lights... and possibly even if you don't, it's probably worth sliding out the tray the Power Supply is on and check it for any capacitors with puffy tops, or ones that look to be blown or leaking (this was the problem with the RCA tv that was recent given to me). As soon as those 4 capacitors were replaced, it started right up, no more blinking lights!

Unfortunately, once i got picture on it, a few more capacitors started hissing pretty badly, so I decided to bring the whole tv in to have them check the whole board over with it in the TV... seems worth $80 to me (assuming it's just a few more caps that are bad.

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm

I have 5 blinking lights and then a solid light and then 5 more blinking lights and then it stays solid. I will like over the power supply board tonight when I get home and I think I will get a new Ballast.

mitchkramez
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby mitchkramez » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Ouch, that lamp ballast seems to be very expensive... the cheapest I saw was $350!

Hopefully, if it is the ballast it can be repaired, or maybe it's just some really cheap caps.

I noticed in another forum that you got an OSRAM bulb, before spending any more money, I'd return the OSRAM bulp and get a Phillips - they last longer and are generally of higher quality from the research i've seen (consisting of reviews and others' opinions :)) That way you can rule out pretty much 100% that it's not the bulb... it sounds like a bad UHP bulb is rare... but i suppose it's possible, return it, order a phillips and see how you fare... that's the cheapest next option.

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Yes I do have a Osram bulb and I will return it! And if the Ballast can be repaired, how to I go about checking the fuses. I would assume the same way I check the fuses or caps on the Power Supply. I have people at work that will solder for me and they also can check the caps if necessary.

mitchkramez
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby mitchkramez » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:30 am

redman,
I don't think the ballast has a separate fuse, the only fuse i know of is on the power supply, and that's got to be intact since you're getting power.

I won't pretent to be TV repair person, but apparently if you have the right tools you can test the caps while leaving them on the board - not sure where you work, but possibly they have equipment like this?

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 am

mitchkramez
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby mitchkramez » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:45 pm

does that look like your ballast board? mine looks very similar to that, but i think it might be more narrow. i'd call them to verify that it will 100% work in your TV and ask them about their return policy if it's the wrong size or something.

i haven't heard of that site, but at $160 it's much cheaper than the US alternatives

mitchkramez
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby mitchkramez » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 pm

redman, found this on ebay... exact same part number at 1/3 the cost...

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Osram-brand-ball ... dZViewItem

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Wow nice find and I will check with them but it looks like I will be ordering tonight when I get home!

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Redman, I've heard of Soundandvision, but they are UK. You'll pay wayyyy more than you would in the US.
--

Eddie

speedemall

Postby speedemall » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 am

greetings all, I have a question,I am replacing the color wheel in this same set and was wondering is the colorwheel supposed to spin freely like it is ball bearing supported? I was spinning mine and it feels like there is resistance while doing so.

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey thanks everyone for the great advice! I finally got around to ordering my ballast and that did the trick! I know have sound along with picture! :P :D :P :D :P !!!!! But I have another question concerning the tv! When I turn on the tv and the lamp comes on I hear a whining noise coming from around the bulb! And I am assuming it is the color wheel going bad or needs lubing or something. Is there something you can do to the color wheel or should I just get another color wheel?

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:35 pm

After getting my tv to work and moving it back into the house from the garage now i am getting a squealing coming from the color wheel and it is cutting itself off and on again and again. Can I remove the color wheel and do something with the bearings or should I just forget that idea and just order one? :roll:

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:28 am

I know I am getting a lot of ideas right now but how can you tell if the color wheel is bad or if it is the light engine that's bad?

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Ok this is where I am now! I went into the tv and got the color wheel out and got the bearings to start moving freely by themselves! That means I don't have the squealing sound anymore! No squealing sound and the lamp does not light up anymore! The color wheel will spin and the lamp will not come on. It does this and cuts off and then it gives 4 blinking lights and then turns solid! and then it starts over with the color wheel. Anybody know what's going on here now? And I have changed the lamp in it too! The old one would light up when the squealing noise was happening so I left it in there and now it doesn't work and neither does the new lamp i purchased! So does anyone know what's going on here?

speedemall

Postby speedemall » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey Redman, you had resistance when spinning your colorwheel also? What did you do to free it up? I put a drop of bearing oil on it and it still has resistance. I had sound and the colorwheel still squealed with no picture, now I have no sound or picture. I hope replacing the Colorwheel fixes this. I wish I had seen the reviews on this Tv before I bought it.

redman3170
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redman3170 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:31 pm

speedemall, I used a lubricant called KROIL. I probably shouldn't have because it is a industrial strength lube but I did and I got it to work. But my problem now is that the lamp won't come on even though I have changed the ballast and the color wheel is just spinning. I mean the color wheel is just spinning and doesn't cut off like the tv is on but no light coming from the lamp! Anybody have any ideas on this one!

Return to “RCA Discussion”