grey dots

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
HOWIE

grey dots

Postby HOWIE » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm

After I changed my lamp with enclosure , there are grey dots on the screen when there wasn't any before. Could it be dust from the back of the tv when I blew some of the dust off when I replaced the lamp ? If so how do I remove it ? thanks :?

Eddie

Re: grey dots

Postby Eddie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 pm

Think you can post a picture of it? It's possible the DMD chip gets dust on it. It's definitely not from the lamp. What do the dots look like? big? small? blurry? sharp?
--

Eddie

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

I've had blurry greyish blobs on my screen for awhile. They look exactly like light is reflecting off something inside the tv, like dust.

Is it possible to clean the DMD chip? Is that what's going on with my tv?

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:31 pm

The mirror inside the tv may need cleaned also. It's hard to say what the issue is.

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Is that something I can do? is it worth opening the tv and poking around? I've replaced the lamp before, and it's long out of warranty.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 pm

first off i would remove my new lamp and clean the glass eye that goes into the light engline to see if that helps. if that doesn't help i would then remove the cover on the color wheel and make sure nothing flaked off the color wheel. It depends on how handy you are. if you are handy with computers and have taken them apart and replaced parts you are a step ahead of other people and you should be able to figure it out. first off don't remove the dmd board unless you want to have fun trying to realine it. it takes two people or a mirror for you to look into. I think the sides of the back of the tv opens up about 2/3's of the way up and i think that opens into the mirror area. you maybe able to blow compressed air to get some dust out of the way. also you may need to pull out the light engine. Dust could be on top of that lense. It could be many things.

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:39 pm

I've been building all my own PCs since the 486 days, so I'm not afraid to poke around a bit.

Any chance you know of a guide that would show where these various parts are? I see the color-wheel replacement guide for the Samsung HL-R5067W on this site, but it's all pictures without anything labeled.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 pm

I've got what appears to be circles and streaks of faint white light on the screen. It looks like light is either reflecting off of something, or leaking out of something and defusing up to the screen. They sort of fan upward, as if the source is below the lowest edge of the screen. It almost looks like a splatter of paint, like if you flicked a paintbrush at a wall.

The never move or change, though more may be slowly appearing over time. They appear no matter what input is selected or what is displaying on the screen (though they're harder to see if the screen isn't black).

It's barely noticeable when watching anything bright, but watch a dark, scary movie and it's distracting.

I once tried to get a picture but they're too faint. Maybe I'll try again with a slow exposure.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:24 pm

That sounds like a DMD board going bad, but if you want to be more sure buy the entire light engine with the DMD included, if you already tried to connect all of the digital (HDMI, computer VGA) & analog (VCR, old DVD) inputs that we can rule out the video board.
Knowledge is the one true power

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:43 pm

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Also, I've read a ton of references to the white dots, but no actual description beyond that. Are the dots the size of pixels? Because mine are bigger, like the size of quarters, and some are really narrow ovals, almost lines. And are they fullbright white, like a pixel at full brightness? Mine are faint.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Negative, the DMD board is like the brain of the TV, it controls the color, light and mirrors to produce the image on the TV (think of it as the President of your TV) and the video board interacts with all the external hardware connected to the TV and sends a signal to the DMD to project a picture on the TV (think of it as the Ambassador of your TV). And as for the white dots, the only component of your tv that controls the distribution of the pixels of the TV is the DMD board, no other produces white dots, no mates how intense they are.
Knowledge is the one true power

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 am

shrikedoa

I would start with the dmd board with the dmd chip. you see these tv's parted out a lot on ebay and the parts are not normaly that much. dmd board from an hlr-4667w to an hl-r6167w may work. you are better off looking the part number up on http://www.samsungparts.com and doing a search by part number. The lowest price I found was on ebay. I found the full light engine used.
Light engine part number BP91-01707G

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-HL-R5067W-L ... 53df1a7859

ps: It's easyer to keep track of issues in their own topic and not using someone elses topic.

shrikedoa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shrikedoa » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:57 pm

I found some good pictures of the white spots DMD issue, like:

My spots don't look anything like that. Those are clearly individual pixels turned to full brightness.

I'll try and capture an image this weekend...being faint they're hard to photograph.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”