Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
bmar
Contributor
Contributor

HL T5676S No Picture - Help!

Postby bmar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi all - Hope someone can help.

Have a HL-T5676SX/XAA with no picture. The unit powers on ok. Looking through the vents in the back I can see that the lamp is on, and seems at full intensity. That would seem to indicate my ballast is working, and I would assume my color wheel, since I'm under the impression that if it wasn't working, the lamp wouldn't turn on (or is that incorrect?).

I've got no flashing indicator lights. But no picture at all and no audio. I have cycled through the sources (no that I could see them) to no luck.

Thoughts? Bad board?

Help?

Thanks!

bmar
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HL T5676S No Picture - Help!

Postby bmar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Some more info since i posted my original question. I have visually inspected the color wheel and it appears fine. At this point I think it must be either the main board, the DMD board or the DLP chip itself.

Also - when looking at the screen in a completely dark room, i can see that it is NOT completely black, but rather there are some VERY VERY faint white-ish blobs - almost star shaped - scattered over the screen. But again, they are so faint that you have to be in a dark room to see them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

bmar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bmar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:27 am

So - having looked at the situation more in depth - I am beginning to form a theory. When I look at the screen in a completely dark room - i can see that it's NOT completely black - aside from the white smudges. There is a very faint black grainy-ness to it, which says to me, perhaps, that the light projector and DMD are working, but are just getting no signal.

I opened up the round hole on the back and peered inside with a flashlight and I can see that in the light engine, there is a fair amount of dust on the curved mirror inside. I'm now wondering if that is the cause of the white smudges, and it's NOT a symptom of the problem, but rather something that is only visible because there is no signal coming to it - in other words, it's projecting - but it's just projecting black.

SO - I'm starting to think this is a main board problem. Since I can't see any menus, can't hear any audio on any input, and can't see anything on any input, (much less that I'm changing inputs since I can't see anything) is it possible that it's the main board? (Part # BP41-00310A)

As a test of this theory - if it were the DMD board and NOT the main board, wouldn't I still be able to hear audio on the inputs?

Bill

bmar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bmar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:57 pm

No one? Really could use some expertise here! Opinions welcome!

ahhell

Postby ahhell » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:01 am

I'm having a similar issue with my HLT5076S.

My tv has all the same symptoms as you. One thing that I noticed is that when the tv is plugged in, it skips the "standby" power and tries to start up immediately. I get no picture (lamp is lit, tv chimes, etc). and the lamp LED just flashes for about 30secs then stops.

Occationally, I can get it start up correctly if I keep unplugging then plugging the power cable in, obviously that's not good for the TV.

Anyone have any ideas on what needs to be replaced?

Dexter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dexter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:06 am

Hey BMar and Ahhell,
I wish I could say I was here to help you both, but I too have the same problem with my Samsung HLR5087W. Mine turns on has a perfect picture for a while, then the picture shuts off. I still have audible however? I don't believe it is a overheating issue because if I unplug the power, and immediately plug it back in....the picture comes right back?

Just like both of you....my lamp is on, fans are working, and color wheel is spinning....but no picture?

Oh, and one more thing....if the picture is paused...it will remain on without shutting off the picture. The picture will only shut off after you press play again? It is really weird.

Anyone with help would be greatly appreciated. I have read tons and tons on here don't know if I need to replace the ballast, power supply, or what?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello, sorry I had not run into this post to help before, after reading the thread, there is a ton of questions but i'll start with some basics.

Has it been over a year since you last replaced the lamp? and if your TV turns on, does the malfunction happen with all inputs, more specifically analog and digital (say coax and HDMI).

If anyone is getting any distortion before shutdown it would be very helpful!

Hope I can help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

bmar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bmar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 pm

grayfox -

Thanks!

Here's the scoop:

Lamp is fine, color wheel is fine, TV turns on, no "error" indicator lights...but no image and no audio. I'm assuming that it's all inputs because I can't see any image on the screen - so, no menus, no display of inputs, etc. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, when I'm in a totally dark room, I can see that the screen is lit - but it is just lit up "black" if that makes any sense - as if the lamp and projection system is working, but just projecting "black."

So, while at first I thought it might be the DMD Board or the DLP chip itself, I would think that if that if it was that, I would still hear audio, no? This led me to believe that it's the main digital/analog board itself, and not the DMD board.

Would love your thoughts and any advice you have to offer.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:24 pm

This is a tricky one!

OK so I have to assume the DMD board is ok because you get no audio and the DMD board only processes images. :shock:
Lamp, Ballast and colorwheel seem to be ok despite they are the most logical consumable parts... ;)
The problem has to lie somewhere between the input board and the Digital video board... :|
Can you try an HDMI input if one is available? :?:

let me know... I think you are correct and the Main input board may need replacing, good news is that they dont usually run over 100 USD and are very easy to instal! :P
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

bmar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bmar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Nope - have already tried the HDMI ports. No luck. Here's the question I have - I've seen that the part number for the main board is BP41-00310A but I have also seen it listed as BP97-01196A. Do you have any idea which the correct one is? Also - can you recommend a good source for parts (one that has a return policy!)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Yeah about that... Samsung is horrible when it comes to part numbers! :cry:

I would look it up at http://www.discount-merchant.com/ and check out the pictures closely to make sure it matches! thats a good thing about that site is that they have an image of the actual part they send you, no skus! just product numbers ;)

Good Luck!

chevelle69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chevelle69 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 am

I too have the same problem it will work fine then all of sudden it will go black but if you tap on the tv it will restore the picture and work fine for awhile or it will do the same thing again ,i tap on the tv the picture comes back like normal so im am really leaning toward the video input board .. i checked all my connections and they are tight ,i also have the same model as yours good luck...

chevelle69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chevelle69 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 pm

just to post back well i move to a new place and got att service with out hd and i had comcast with hd so im guessing the hd dont work well with this model ,know my tv don't go to a black screen no more and works perfect so im guessing that the hd is to fast to process and the screen goes black or just can not handle it for some reason ...

Return to “Samsung Discussion”