Bulb Replacement? Or something more?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dusty80
Contributor
Contributor

Bulb Replacement? Or something more?

Postby dusty80 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:37 am

I have attached several pictures of my TV.
There are black horizontal lines across the screen. They have been there for sometime, and I have noticed that the picture is not as sharp as it used to be, and there seems to be a lot of ghosting of images. Also, these lines appear no matter what input I am using, but they seem to fade after the tv has been on for awhile. Does the bulb just need to be replaced, or is it more sinister than that? I checked the lamp timer and it is at 4022 hours if that helps.
Thanks!
Attachments
100_2041.JPG
100_2041.JPG (113.49 KiB) Viewed 8788 times
100_2040.JPG
100_2040.JPG (101.44 KiB) Viewed 8788 times
100_2039.JPG
100_2039.JPG (120.52 KiB) Viewed 8788 times

Eddie

Re: Bulb Replacement? Or something more?

Postby Eddie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Wow, I'm not really sure, but it could possibly be a DMD board issue. This is definitely NOT a bulb issue. You may need a new one later, but I'd focus on what's causing the problem of the lines... and that's most likely a DMD board or DMD chip.

Consequently, what's the model of your television? I can probably point you to the correct part. Also, when did this start happening and are there any other symptoms or distortions you're seeing on the screen?
--

Eddie

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am

Yup, that is a DMD board, the lamp produces white light of no light, I never heard of a lamp that creates black lines, a DMD board on the other hand, are known to produce black or white lines, and black or white dots, try and bring up the menu to see if those lines also affect the TV menu. If the menu is also affected then it’s definitely the DMD board.
Knowledge is the one true power

dusty80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dusty80 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 am

The model is HLS4266WX XAA version PB02.
This has been going on for about 2-3 months now, but the lines, and the black dots at the bottom where very light and would go away after awhile at first. Now they are constantly there and are easier to see. And yes, even when the TV menu is up, I can still see the black line in the middle of the screen.

So DMD board...hmmmm. That doesn't sound fun at all.....

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 am

Dusty80,
Sounds like you've been reading my posts... Good job on making an excellent diagnosis yourself.

I would swoop up the light engine here if I were you:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... 66W+engine

The engine includes DMD board, Optical Block, and at times Color Wheel (if stated in their titles). I hate to keep promoting these people without getting a commission or something, but boy... I'm impressed! They have everything at a fraction of the cost of the manufacturer or other parts distributors! These guys even sell the CABLES that go inside the TV for dirt cheap.

dusty80
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dusty80 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 am

Yeah, ovadoggvo, I tried to look around here as much as possible to figure it out.

So what's the difference between the the light engine and the optical block?

With lamp hours at 4024 now, should I get a new bulb as well, or is it probably good for another 1000 hours or so?

Return to “Samsung Discussion”