Samsung DLP HLN567WX/XAA Picture Distortions

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP HLN567WX/XAA Picture Distortions

Postby musicmanboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 pm

First off- thanks to all of you for providing this information.
So I have a 56" Samsung DLP model -HLN567WX/XAA. I week ago the color got weird- blues and reds around the faces then all of a sudden it went to a black screen with sound then the sound goes out also. All the times the remote stops working plus the side buttons. The only way to shut it off is to pull the power plug. Now if I turn it on the picture looks good for a few minutes and then right to th black screen and same as above - no remote - pull the power cord.
I talked with Samsung - no help at all. They will not fix anything.
My problem sounds common - I just need some expert advice on what part to replace and where to get it.
thanks in advance

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

picture of problem

Postby musicmanboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am

here's a picture of what the screen looks like right before it turns black. as always - the remote stops working and the side buttons. I have to unplug the tv to turn it off.
thanks in advance.
Attachments
dlp.jpg
dlp.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 23646 times

Eddie

Re: picture of problem

Postby Eddie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 am

--

Eddie

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:28 am

It sound more like it’s the digital board, there are two peculiar things. First one is that once the color goes all crazy the remote doesn’t work. And second after unplugging it turning back on the picture is ok for a few moments. Those are symptoms of a failing digital board; my suggestion is to check the board physically for any swollen capacitors. If you find any replace them.
Knowledge is the one true power

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicmanboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 am

here's some additional information people requested-
Any other information like:

What was happening before this started happening? - the picture comes on and looks pretty good but quickly starts showing odd colors- reds, greens, and blues around faces as an example. then it goes right to what I posted - then goes to black.

Did you replace any parts recently? nope - I change the lamp around 3-4 months ago. everything was working great.

Is it making any noises, or start up/shut down chimes? =- no real noise. I do hear the whirl of the color wheel - but no more than normal. This all happend quite quickly - within one week of working fine to all this.

So, one person says the DMD board and another the digital board. How would I replace swollen capacitors on the digital board and where would I even get replacements? I figure I would probably have to replace the whole board - although I don't know what that would cost and maybe it wouldn't even be worth doing.

One last question - either board - where's the best place to get replacements?

thanks

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 am

musicmanboy,
Ok.. First of all, I recommend reading this post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19

It should have given you some insight.

Now, I will tell you the basic things to do in order to take a better guess on which board is failing:

1 - When the TV is on and color start weirding out, hit the MENU button. Does the menu also get the weird colors?
- If yes, it's most likely DMD board.. If no, it's most likely Digital Board

2 - Connect your computer to the TV using standard VGA cables and change the TV input to PC. Does the problem still occur?
- If yes, it's most likely DMD board.. If no, it's most likely Digital Board

And now.. for the last question.. Where do you get the board:

I normally recommend Discount-Merchant for these types of parts... The reason is the remarkably reasonable pricing! The price on a Digital Board is $90-$150... As for the DMD Board, I would recommend buying a full light engine from them for around $250-$350 ... The light engine comes with the DMD Board and it's 1/3 the price of a light engine from Samsung! Furthermore, the price for JUST THE DMD BOARD from samsung is around $600..

This means D-M sells the complete light engine (Color Wheel, Optical Block, DMD Board) for 1/2 the price of just the DMD board from Samsung.. The only catch is, they run out of stock very fast on these things. The good part of all that is that they renew and replenish inventory weekly! So if they don't have the part this week, they may have it next week, or the following week.

Please keep us all updated and let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicmanboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm

WOW -
thanks for the great advice. I will get right on it and let you know what I find out.

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicmanboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Okay so I tried your advice -
1. I turned the TV on - the picture started weirding out after only 1 minute on - I hit the MENU button and the picture still went bad. Plus it's going to a black screen with no sound very quickly.
2. I unplugged the TV since it's the only way to shut it off. Plugged it back in and plugged a computer into the PC slot. Selected the PC- for some reason I got the no signal detected but even with that on the picture went weird too. Same thing as before - quickly to a black screen with no sound.

What now?

As I said before and what most people are posting as I can see is trying to decide how much money to put into the TV. If I have to replace both the DMD and the digital board it looks like I'm looking at +$500 which doesn't seem worth the cost.

any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

:(

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

tired advice - now what

Postby musicmanboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm

Okay so I tried your advice -
1. I turned the TV on - the picture started weirding out after only 1 minute on - I hit the MENU button and the picture still went bad. Plus it's going to a black screen with no sound very quickly.
2. I unplugged the TV since it's the only way to shut it off. Plugged it back in and plugged a computer into the PC slot. Selected the PC- for some reason I got the no signal detected but even with that on the picture went weird too. Same thing as before - quickly to a black screen with no sound.

What now?

As I said before and what most people are posting as I can see is trying to decide how much money to put into the TV. If I have to replace both the DMD and the digital board it looks like I'm looking at +$500 which doesn't seem worth the cost.

any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Eddie

Re: tired advice - now what

Postby Eddie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Please try to keep your posts in the same discussion otherwise it gets messy. I'm going to move this to your other posts!
--

Eddie

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Do you have any other pictures? I am not convinced it's your digital board or DMD board. It could just be the color wheel. If you're getting funky colors, than that's a clear indication that the color wheel is failing. It doesn't have to make a whirring or loud whine to be indicative of failing. Sometimes, they can just be spinning slower than it's supposed to and you'll definitely get these weird colors and hues.

As ovadoggvo suggested though, you might be better off buying a light engine and replacing the whole thing. You don't want to take chances with the DMD board and the light engines come with a color wheel.

I think if you can post another picture, we can solve this for you.
--

Eddie

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicmanboy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:45 am

so here are three picture. picture 1a shows as the screen gets darker. picture 1 shows the striping plus if you saw it in a vidieo, you would see the striping shutter from side to side.
finally picture 1c is what shows when I had a computer plugged in. the same exact thing happened - at first it looked okay, then the picture gets darker, then the lines shuttering, and finally a black screen then no sound. Finally, I'm seeing that even when I plug the TV in later (1 day) it starts up right when plugged in - so it's not turning off even though the power is pulled.
Attachments
picture 1c.jpg
picture 1c.jpg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 23608 times
picture 1.jpg
picture 1.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 23608 times
picture 1a.jpg
picture 1a.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 23608 times

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:43 pm

That is strange. I'll do a little more research on it.
--

Eddie

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung DLP HLN567WX/XAA Picture Distortions

Postby musicmanboy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:52 am

:o
any advice yet? I'm running out of time. I think I'm just going to junk the TV and get a LCD replacement.
Any ideas on how to get rid of it other than the junkyard?

alex0101
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alex0101 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 am

musicmanboy,

I am in the same boat as yours :(

Check this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6wCzwPZg0

The exact same problem...... Please let me know if you find a fix for this yet

Alex

musicmanboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicmanboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 am

YES!!!!

That's what mine looks like except mine only lasts for about 30 seconds then goes to a black screen. I was hoping to have a firm fix from this site but I understand it's more complicated than that.

I'm looking at the Sony 46" LCD that Costco has on sale for $799. They ran out but are going to honor rainchecks which I got one.
I figure it's safer to spend $799 on a new LCD then spend $300-$500 on this old Samsung - with no guarantee that it will work or last.

Very unfortunate.

I'm going to offer mine up on Craigslist free for parts.

One last thing- Does anyone know if there is a class action suit filed for this problem. I see searching the web that there are mulitple ones filed but I don't see one specific to this problem. I believe it's pretty obvious there's a serious problem - look there's a website dedicated to trying to fix them!
Anyway, count me in if anyone know of one.

alex0101
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alex0101 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:28 am

after reading various other posts, I am leaning towards the DMD board.

I called D-M for the part, they are selling the whole light engine for $250. I think that is going to solve the problem, but I have the same thought as yours, I saw an LG 50" plasma at Costco for $750 or $850 , which is better than spending $250 on the old DLP

btw,this evening, I opened the TV and pulled the whole light engine out, vacuumed all the dust out from the DMD board fan etc. cleaned the Lense, TV worked great (with bright color because of the lense cleaning) for a good 1 hour instead of 10 minutes. I thought it fixed the problem, put the cover back and then the problem came right back :(

Return to “Samsung Discussion”