Humming sound, Weird Colors, Color Wheel?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Contributor
Contributor

Humming sound, Weird Colors, Color Wheel?

Postby 54321 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:16 pm

I have a 67" Samsung DLP tv, #HLR6768WX - Several Problems: Flashing red/green 'timer, lamp, standby/temp', tv making moderate level humming sound, no picture, tv turns itself on/off while humming. Just before tv went out the picture went from color to black/white, with horizontal lines on the picture, then went black.

I've replaced the lamp (but did not reset the lamp counter yet), but still no pic. Not sure if I should order a ballast and/or color wheel, since I just read another posting which talked about the thermostat.

I'm soooo confused and having tv withdrawls in Vegas. Can anyone shed some light??? :(

Eddie

Re: HELP! HELP! HELP!

Postby Eddie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:45 pm

Humming sounds can be the ballast or color wheel. When did you replace the lamp?
--

Eddie

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:54 pm

That sounds more like the color wheel; you see after some considerable use the color wheel starts get stuck or the baring in the middle starts to move. That’s what produces the humming sound. Now when the DMD board (the brain of the TV) detects an anomaly (not reaching its 7200 rpm) it will shut off the TV completely for security reasons. Also during time the color wheel starts to burn and causes discoloration.
Knowledge is the one true power

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 pm

I replaced my lamp on 02/04/10..... so sad it's not working!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:08 pm

The problem is most likely (95%) the color wheel. When the wheel is humming it means it's off balance due to a worn out bearing. This will cause grainy off color or black and white color for a few seconds while the TV tries to "bring the wheel up to speed".. After about 5-15 seconds, if it can't bring it up to speed, your TV will shut off the screen to prevent damage.

Color wheel guide can be found here:
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-01579a.php

I would check Discount-Merchant.com for the color wheel first.. Their pricing is by far the best from any reliable parts distributor.

Good luck!

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks for all the tips... Since I'm a girl :) and not familiar with how to change out the color wheel, I'm going to purchase a service manual explaining the 'how to do it' .... just don't know where I'm going to order the manual from... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SOURCES WHERE TO ORDER A SAMSUNG HLR6768WX SERVICE MANUAL???? (I've already tried www.service-docs.com... and they don't have one.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:58 pm

hey 54321, replacing a color wheel isn't really hard, it's just a lengthy process. I don't know of any service manuals out there, but you can search our blog here at fixyourdlp.com and see how we've replaced some color wheels... it'll give you a pretty good idea on how to do it!
--

Eddie

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I have just received a service manual for my Samsung DLP TV.... The color wheel has also been ordered and I should receive it any day now. Since the tv screen is black when turned on, I hope it's the color wheel and not something more drastic like the board. :oops:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my comments and questions.... I really appreicate all the help!!

Flat busted in Vegas :)

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Okay... I am starting to get discouraged...

I have replaced the lamp on 02/04/10..and now have replaced the colorwheel on 02/17/10. (The old one was completely shattered upon replacing it).

My TV pic now looks great!! But TV still having a few issues... HUMMING SOUND is still coming from TV when first booting up and constantly hums while running. Also, when TV is powering down using the remote control, a WHIRLEE-FAN type sound happens for a few seconds, then stops once the TV is completely off.

To Eddie: The service manual I purchased came from MANUALUNIVERSE.COM and I was able to have a one-time download for the price of $16.95. I used it several times to complete the change out of my colorwheel. (I am not a TV tech, so it was very helpful to have this in hand).

Hope you can assist with my other issues I'm having.

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 pm

.... Just wondering if this HUMMING AND WHIRLEE-SOUND has anything to do with the cooling fan??? I have been reading info on the Samsung website that advises the sound could be due to this problem.

Again.... HELP! HELP! HELP!

volvotech
Contributor
Contributor

Need help diagnosing Samsung HLS 4266WX/Xaa

Postby volvotech » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 am

Hi,
I need some help diagnosing my Samsung DLP HLS 4266WX/Xaa. It started shutting off after a few minutes of first turning on. I have been reading a lot of the discussions here and have been able to varify a few things. The lamp is new (replaced by warranty company in an attempt to fix this issue, don't know what brand) The voltage from the power supply is about 320-340V DC at the ballast even after the lamp goes out. I jumped the lamp door switch to rule out-no change. I tested the temp sensor and it has resistance all the time (closed circuit). Both fans are working and are free from dust. I read a post on how to force the ballast to stay on by shorting the center transistor, which I did successfully. Now it seems to stay on longer, but when the screen shuts off, it turns different varying colors (maybe the color wheel is slowing down??) but the lamp stays on for a short time longer, I guess to cool off. The screen flickers before it shuts off, but all the video inputs and menu seem to be normal when TV is first turned on and has been this way from the beginning of this problem. Never hear any abnormal noises. Any help would be appreciated on what to test next.

davebalogh
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP 4663W Color Wheel - No Sound, & No Pic

Postby davebalogh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 am

I purchased a 46 inch Samsung DLP TV, model # HLP4663W back in November of 2004. A couple of months ago, I experienced a whining noise that I was told was a bad color wheel. I had read on the internet that several people had written in that they had successfully repaired their Samsung HLP 4663 TV by replacing the color wheel themselves. I considered this, but chickened out and took it to a TV repair shop. The TV tech diagnosed my problem that the noise was coming from the color wheel. Keep in mind, that I only had a noise and the picture was fine. The TV shop had my set for almost 3 weeks. He had ordered a color wheel, but when it arrived it did not fit (my set had an L3 chassis and he received a color wheel for an L 6 chassis). He reordered another color wheel. When it arrived, he installed it and then called me up and said that my set was repaired. I picked it up and brought it home. The set worked fine for about two hours, then it would not come on again.
I took it back to the TV shop. The TV tech had my set several more weeks, but he said that he couldn’t fix it. I brought it home and took out the color wheel. The wheel would not spin hardly at all. I figured that maybe he had purchased a color wheel that just went bad after a couple of hours so I ordered another color wheel. I installed it myself and had no problem with the installation but the set still will not turn on. It tries too, but then all three lights start blinking. No sound and no picture!

Can anybody help me?

davebalogh@cox.net

Eddie

Re: Samsung DLP 4663W Color Wheel - No Sound, & No Pic

Postby Eddie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 pm

I hope he gave you a refund! You don't take your TV to get a new color wheel and have it coming out broken! That shouldn't happen! Tell me the name of that company so I never refer any work to that fellow!

No sound no picture can be a number of things, especially when all three lights are blinking...

The possibilities lay in the lamp system or the light engine. The lamp system consists of lamp, color wheel, and ballast. He simply could have botched the repair of the color wheel. Or you could also have a bad ballast. You never know what will happen if you leave your television at the repair shop too long.. an electrical surge could have taken that ballast out, or even your power supply.

We'll assume it's the color wheel for now, however.

Did you replace the ball barring color wheel with an air barring? That's my first question to you, and did you remove the jumper in the back of the DMD board? If that's the kind of color wheel you have, then it may be a simple fix. Otherwise you'll have to do a little more troubleshooting.

We'll help you get there though!
--

Eddie

ripstruct8

Replaced lamp, now color isn't right HL-S5686W

Postby ripstruct8 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi, I replaced the lamp of my 2 year old Samsung DLP tv, and now the color isn't right. The colors are mostly greens, greys, and black.

I don't see any yellow/blue.

I just watched a Miller Lite commericial and the beer looked pink! What can I do to fix this? Is it a setting or a defective bulb? This picture quality is fine, and I used an official Phillips bulb. Are there certain settings in the menu that can fix this? All the colors were good before I changed the lamp. Please help! Thanks :)

Brian

Contributor
Contributor

Postby 54321 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 am

This is a big THANK YOU to all the crew.... Eddie, Ovadoggvo, and Crowell!!!!

I am very happy to report... my 67" Samsung DLP HLR6768WX/XAA has now been completely fixed!!! Without all of your trouble shooting advice I may have never been able to figure out what was going on with my TV.

Also, I had mentioned in my previous post that the colorwheel was still making noise after being replaced. After more trouble shooting, we decided to take out the colorwheel, reseat it and then reinstall. Everything now works great... and since we also replaced the lamp, the color is bright and vivid as if it were brand new again. :P

So thanks again for all the great advice.

Happy in Vegas!

davebalogh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby davebalogh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 am

Eddie

Re: Replaced lamp, now color isn't right HL-S5686W

Postby Eddie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:41 pm

I am moving this post.
--

Eddie

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:54 pm

--

Eddie

Eddie

Re: Need help diagnosing Samsung HLS 4266WX/Xaa

Postby Eddie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Possibly a color wheel. Not sure though. Obviously you're a tech, so I suggest double checking that color wheel to see if it's the cause. Try and listen for noises during operation, but you said the colors are varying while shutting down. I don't think that's common and definitely indicative of the color wheel.
--

Eddie

davebalogh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby davebalogh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Return to “Samsung Discussion”