factory defect bulb or ballast failure

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dkenz

factory defect bulb or ballast failure

Postby dkenz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:22 am

I recently bought my 2nd tb25-lmp for my toshiba 62hm84. Upon installation the tv won't light up but would get only
the red and flickering green lights (8 times) and followed by red and green light simultaneous blink.

I have removed and installed the new unit 5 times and have ask a friend to install it but with the same red, green light results.

I then installed the old (busted) lamp unit and have the same red,green light results....

is my new bulb defective since it yield the same red and green light????????

i'm now thinking that it may be the ballast or a factory defect lamp (new purchase)

what are the ways to check for a lamp?

ps. i tried using a multi-tester on the connectors and they appear to be open....
is this normal?

visually inspecting the bulb, there's nothing cut or open.....

any thoughts??????

Eddie

Re: factory defect bulb or ballast failure

Postby Eddie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Yes, it is normal for the connection to be open because all lamps fail continuity tests. Unlike household lamps, these lamps use gas to generate light instead of a filament.

The only way to test a lamp is to arc it with the ignition voltage necessary to light it up. And the only real quick and simple way to test a ballast is to use a good working lamp.

If you bought your lamp from a respectable and authorized dealer than it's generally not going to be the lamp. The failure rate for lamps is extremely low. If you bought a used or re-manufactured lamp from one of these internet sites, then you might just get what you paid for.

It really depends on the symptoms too. Got any more info?
--

Eddie

frankie08033

Postby frankie08033 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 am

I have a 46HM94P with the exact same problem. I replaced the bulb and get the 8 cycles then both red & green lights blink together. Wondering if it was the ballast?
Thanks,
David (frankie08033)

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Can you describe more the symptoms that the tv has, like do you get any sound? Can you see the tv menu? Dose your tv turn and then shut off? Dose it make any noise from the back of the tv? When did you buy your tv?
Knowledge is the one true power

Paris

Postby Paris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:18 pm

I have a 56HMX85. The lamp that I just replaced was blown out and the tv's indicator of this was the solid red power with flashing green with the attempts to reset. I had sound but no light or menu, so I replaced the lamp.

With the replacement that I purchased from DM, my tv still does the same thing but not all the time. When it does this, I pull the lamp out each time to check to see if it has blown. The lamp that I purchased was a TB25 but the invoice that came did not share this description. When I called, the operator swore that this was the right lamp because it is what they are given for the TB25. I am skeptical about this but I am also wondering if the ballast is going out. I do not have the typical noises that go along with common ballast problems. Please help.

justchecking01

Postby justchecking01 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:37 pm

I posted a similar problem with my 56HM66 and recieved no responses....thanks everyone.

lagspike

Postby lagspike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:31 am

Having the same exact problem like most here. Here's the rundown.
Ordered a replacement lamp for my 52HMX84 display at DM.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Toshib ... mp_enc.htm

Installed the new lamp and the LEDs read as follows...
"3) Green and Red blink at 1-second intervals: The lamp is not working properly after the eighth automatic restart. Turn the POWER OFF and then ON again."

I unplugged the unit and removed the lamp to see if it defected and everything seemed fine. Re-installed the lamp, secured the screws and lamp door and it worked. I left it on for an hour then shut it off since I had to head out.
I come back later in the evening and I'm greeted to those lovely LEDs once again.
3) Green and Red blink at 1-second intervals: The lamp is not working properly after the eighth automatic restart. Turn the POWER OFF and then ON again.

To be on the safe side I returned the lamp to DM and to those interested, yes you'll end up with the shipping bill this time around. 2lb package at UPS was about $14.
Received my replacement lamp and double checked to see if it was the lamp I had shipped out, check!
Installed and still no avail.
Odd thing is before purchasing the 1st lamp at DM, my previous lamp had cracked so obviously there was no video but there was sound. :?:
DM lamp worked for about an hour and afterward nothing but LEDs w/no sound.
The color wheel is spinning but the lamp just is not lighting up.

I realize this is quite the lengthy post (for my debut) but any suggestions? I'll phone up a service center tomorrow to see what's up but if I can save a few dollars by purchasing the necessary parts myself then I'll go that route. If not then I wouldn't mind chucking this 5-6yr old display.
Much appreciated for any feedback.

lagspike

Postby lagspike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:34 am

Having the same exact problem like most here. Here's the rundown.
Ordered a replacement lamp for my 52HMX84 display at DM.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Toshib ... mp_enc.htm

Installed the new lamp and the LEDs read as follows...
"3) Green and Red blink at 1-second intervals: The lamp is not working properly after the eighth automatic restart. Turn the POWER OFF and then ON again."

I unplugged the unit and removed the lamp to see if it defected and everything seemed fine. Re-installed the lamp, secured the screws and lamp door and it worked. I left it on for an hour then shut it off since I had to head out.
I come back later in the evening and I'm greeted to those lovely LEDs once again.
3) Green and Red blink at 1-second intervals: The lamp is not working properly after the eighth automatic restart. Turn the POWER OFF and then ON again.

To be on the safe side I returned the lamp to DM and to those interested, yes you'll end up with the shipping bill this time around. 2lb package at UPS was about $14.
Received my replacement lamp and double checked to see if it was the lamp I had shipped out, check!
Installed and still no avail.
Odd thing is before purchasing the 1st lamp at DM, my previous lamp had cracked so obviously there was no video but there was sound. :?:
DM lamp worked for about an hour and afterward nothing but LEDs w/no sound.
The color wheel is spinning but the lamp just is not lighting up.

I realize this is quite the lengthy post (for my debut) but any suggestions? I'll phone up a service center tomorrow to see what's up but if I can save a few dollars by purchasing the necessary parts myself then I'll go that route. If not then I wouldn't mind chucking this 5-6yr old display.
Much appreciated for any feedback.

Return to “Toshiba DLP Discussion”