Fix the RUNTK5261TPZE T-CON Board in the Sony KDL-60EX646 LED TV
Follow this troubleshooting guide for the Sony KDL-60EX646 LED TV
A faded, scrambled or black screen in your Sony KDL-60EX646 LED TV can be fixed by replacing the T-Con board. Learn how with our guide.
The Sony KDL-60EX646 LED TVs are having some issues with the Timing Control Board. (T-Con) a failure of the 8 pin eprom chip on the lower right side of the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board that interrupts the video signal to the main board.
Symptoms of a failed T-Con board include half-faded screen, scrambled pixels along lines and patterns on the screen. The most common problem is no video when the Sony KDL60EX646 is turned on.
Alternative part numbers
The RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board is also sold under the following numbers:
- RUNTK5261TP (ZE)
- Sharp RUNTK5261TPZE
- CPWBX5261TP (ZE)
- CPWBXRUNTK5261TP (ZE)
Replace the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board
- Antistatic plastic gloves or antistatic bracelet
- Pad/ towel
- Needle-nose pliers
- Electric Flat head and Philips screwdriver
- Cup for screws
- Turn the Sony KDL-60EX646 LED TV off. Unplug the power cord.
- Remove the TV from the wall, if mounted.
- Lay the Sony KDL60EX645 LED TV on a flat, padded surface.
- To remove the TV stand loosen the three main screws holding the stand to the TV.
- Lift up the KDL-60EX645TV so the guide pins are released from the stand.
- Remove all the six screws holding the back panel in place. Put the screws to one side.
- Start along the top corner to safely pop the front bezel from the back cover, Gently work your way around the entier cover.
- Once th back cover and front bezel are removed, place theKDL60EX645 with screen facing down.
- The RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board is located in the middle top of the back panel, usually under an aluminum cover held in place by four corner screws.
- Take the screws out and then remove the top with foil tape at the top.
- You’ll see a black LVDS cable and two flat ribbon cables conneting it to the Main board.
- Remove the ribbon cable first. Flip up the black tabs on the connector. Gently pull the cable out taking care not the scratch the ribbon section. Never use any sharp objects to open the black tabs as this can damage the pins making the connection faulty.
- To remove the LVDS cable, squeeze the small tab on side. Don’t force anything apart or pull anything too hard as this can damage the connections and cause more problems.
- Loosen the screws holding the RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board in place. Place it to one side. This board is considered e-waste and should be sent to a recycling facility. Do not place into regular garbage.
- NOTE: Be sure to put on your rubber gloves before touching the new RUNTK5261TPZE T-Con board. Hold the RUNTK5261TPZH T-Con board by the edges and avoid touching any of the components since they are very sensitive to electrostatic charges.
- Verify the manufacturers number for your board. (It will be found under the bar code.) Place the new board onto the back panel.
- To re-install the ribbon cable: Match the line on the ribbon cable with the edge of the connector making sure the ribbon is straight. Press down on the tab to lock it into place.
- Re-connect the LVDS cable by putting the connector end into the RUNTK5261TPZC T-Con board until it clicks into place.
- Tighten the screws on the board. Replace any foil tape.
- Replace the RUNTK5261TPZC T-Con cover. Tighten the screws.
- Place the back cover back onto the Sony KDL-60EX646 TV and tighten all the screws.
- Re-install the stand and post.
Troubleshooting the Sony KDL-60EX646
Once you turn the Sony KDL-60EX6456 TV back on you may not have a picture but may see the amber light blinking and green blinking. This indicates you need to get a firmware update. (Note: Your TVs must already have an established Internet connection).
- Press HOME. Select Internet Browser to launch the browser.
- Go to the support page for your KDL-60EX645 model at esupport.sony.com
- Go to the KDL60EX645 Drivers and Software section
- Choose Firmware. Click on the download button to activate the upgrade.
- Once the upgrade has been completed, turn the Sony KDL-60EX646 on and then back on again.