Install a replacement Dell 1609 projector lamp
Invest in authentic!
Keep your Dell 1609HD projector working by always installing an authentic projector lamp. The Dell 1609HD uses the Dell 311-8943 projector lamp. Scroll down to learn why you should always avoid counterfeit projector lamps.
Find this lamp on Amazon sold by these authorized dealers:
- Dell Projector Lamp Part 311-8943 725-10120 Model Dell 1209S 1409X 1609HD
- Dell 311-8943 projector Lamp with High Quality Original Projector Bulb
- Dell Projector Lamp 311-8943
- ePharos 725-10120 / 311-8943 Projector Replacement Original Lamp with Generic Housing for DELL 1209S
End of projector lamp warnings
When it’s time for a new projector lamp you’ll see an on-screen message saying: “Lamp is approaching the end of its useful life in full power operation. Replacement suggested!” You may also see a blinking amber light on the Dell 1609 warning that the projector lamp is approaching end of life.
If you wait too long you’ll see a “Lamp Defective” on screen message followed by a loud pop inside. Your Dell 1609 projector will then shut off.
Before replacing the Dell 311-8943 projector lamp be sure to turn the projector off and disconnect from the AC plug. Let the projector cool down for at least 30 minutes. It should be cool to the touch. Don’t attempt to change the lamp when the projector is still hot as there is a good chance you can get severely burned.
- Place the Dell 1609HD on a soft surface and turn in upside down to access the projector lamp cover. Loose the two screws that hold the projector lamp cover in place.
- Loosen the two screws that secure the projector lamp.
- Pull the projector lamp up by its metal handle. Pulling too quickly can cause the bulb to shatter. NOTE: Don’t throw the Dell 311-8943 projector lamp into regular garbage! Since it contains mercury, this lamp must be properly recycled.
- Install the new Dell 311-8943 projector lamp making sure it is properly aligned into the projector.
- Tighten the two screws that secure the Dell 311-8943 projector lamp.
- Replace the projector lamp cover and tighten the two screws.
- You are now ready to reset the lamp timer.
Reset the Dell 1609 projector lamp counter
The Dell 1609 projector tracks the life of the Dell 311-8943 projector lamp and will trigger the warning signals when it’s time to replace. Each time you replace the Dell 311-8943 projector lamp you must reset the lamp timer to zero. Failure to do so can result in you using the projector past the optimum lamp life and causing the projector lamp to explode.
- To access the Main Menu press the left or right buttons on your projector’s control panel or remote control.
- Scroll over the the LAMP Menu. Press ENTER to access.
- Scroll down to the Lamp Reset icon. Press ENTER.
- Scroll down to choose YES and press ENTER to reset the projector lamp timer
Tips for extending Dell 1609 projector lamp life:
- From the LAMP Menu, choose ECO MODE: Select On to use the projector at the lower power level of 165 Watts, which makes the Dell 1609 projector operate quieter and with lower light that gives more projector lamp life. Select off to operate at the 200 Watts power level.
- Keep your air filters clean to avoid overheating the projector.
- Every 24 hours, turn off the projector and let it stand for 1 hour
- Make sure there is enough airflow around the Dell 1609 projector particularly if it’s been permanently mounted.
- Learn more with Top tips for extending DLP projector lamp life.
Save money and go green
Looking for a green alternative for the Dell 1609 projector? Try replacing only the projector lamp bulb and re-using the same plastic cage with the 311-8943 projector lamp. Watch our training video to see learn.
Why avoid counterfeits?
Generic lamps should be avoided because of a variety of problems including:
- not being calibrated properly they can damage the sensitive optics in your projector
- their fragility makes them prone to explosions
- they have a much shorter life
- health hazard because of the toxic substitutes used in their manufacturing
- offer no guarantee or refunds
- no safeguards to protect your eyesight