Samsung hlp5063wx ignores remote/onset controls

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
cbfranks

Samsung hlp5063wx ignores remote/onset controls

Postby cbfranks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Last night my 2004 model Samsung hlp5063wx ignored my remote control completely... gave no response to any buttons pushed. At first I thot the batteries in the remote must be dead...but, it lighted as normal when buttons were selected. FURTHERMORE: when I used the button on the front of the set to turn it off, it ignored that button even though it lighted when pushed. Out of curiosity, I pushed the menu buttons on the side of the set that select inputs and still the set ignored the buttons. Finally, out of desperation, I unplugged the set, waited 30sec and plugged the set in again... It appeared to function normally... so, I used the remote to shut down the set and went to bed.

Today, I turned the set on with the remote and for about the first 5-10 minutes it appeared normal... then I noticed the picture changed. It appeared to have a series of frames running horizontally behind the main image (reminded me of RF interference on old model CRT sets). The image changed again and instead of the overlay of images... the main image appeared to bleed, smear and distort around the edges... reminded me of 'blooming' in older color sets where contrasts at the margins create blurring of the edge... and then the original problem returned when I tried to shut the set down... the remote and the main control power button did not respond.

When I unplugged the set again and waited 30 sec... then replugged the set... it immediately 'sounded on' with the characteristic tones and came on without using either the remote or the power button on the front.

Any advice or experience with the above behaviors???
:roll:

cbfranks

Re: Samsung hlp5063wx ignores remote/onset controls

Postby cbfranks » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:27 pm

New bulb arrived yesterday...same as removed Philips branding... chasis was clean... before vacuuming... After install the set responded to remote control... later that evening, worked flawlessly for several hours and when I went in the service menu to reset the lamp timer...
AMAZINGLY... the original bulb had more than 12,870 hrs before failing.
Obviously, the advanced circuitry shuts down when threats are present; when it 'sensed' the bulb was in-process of failing. (There was a hint of fogging in one spot of bulb wall.)
Lets hope I get that kind of service out of the new one...

For the Record... it would appear that bulb failure is responsible for a host of 'errors' in TV set operation.
Even though my bulb would last 20 minutes before the set shut down... it was the bulb that was the problem... not some other phantom.

One techie I paid to diagnose the problem said... "Always start by replacing the bulb... any technician will start there!"

Return to “Samsung Discussion”