Color banding after replacing ballast/color wheel

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
kgoroway
Contributor
Contributor

Color banding after replacing ballast/color wheel

Postby kgoroway » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm

My HLS-6767W started having the 3 flashing lights problem.

Replaced the bulb to no avail. Ordered a new ballast and color wheel and that got the TV working again. Put the old bulb back in since it didn't seem to be the problem in the first place.

Now I've noticed that dark areas have a postertization effect, or color banding. Like looking at a full color image on a 256 color desktop, for example.

Otherwise, the set looks great. Seemingly more contrast, very sharp HD image. But the color banding is driving me nuts.

Could this be related to an installation problem? Is there some setting/jumper I need to toy with? Any other clues on how I can get rid of this? I find it hard to believe that there is yet another part that needs replacement since this issue wasn't there before the flashing 3 lights problem started in the first place. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Kevin

Tsawyer1
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Color banding after replacing ballast/color wheel

Postby Tsawyer1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm

This might help when I replaced my bulb had same issue after research and some great replys found out the tunnel mirrors can come loose or misaligned in my case loose was coverd by samsung under a hidden ext warr luckly for me but took the guy like 3-4 time to get the adj right was a real pain for him after installing the tunnel hope this helps.

kgoroway
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kgoroway » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Very interesting! Some, it's at least possible that my removal of the entire light engine, and partial disassembly to replace the ballast/color wheel has knocked something slightly out of alignment.

Was your set otherwise sharp except for the banding issue in dark areas? I would imagine that if the mirrors were out of alignment that nothing would be sharp?

Any clues/pointers into tightening/adjusting these mirrors?

Thanks!

Tsawyer1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tsawyer1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:23 pm

everything was fine exept for the bading issue he showed me the light tunnel and the mirror that had come loose they are glued in position and can dislodge if you remove the light engine he installed a new light tunnel and had to take it back out 3 times to get the adj correct very sensitive.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Grand. This sounds like my issue. Well, I'll give the alignment a try.
Unfortunately my TV's alignment coverage ended in April but at least I know what to fix now.
Thanks! :)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”