HLP4663WX-XAA screen color went to red quickly

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

HLP4663WX-XAA screen color went to red quickly

Postby noakes » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Watching the tv this am, no issues. Turned it on a little later and the screen has a dominate red to it. The setup screen choices (color weakness, etc.) don't have any effect to remedy this.

There is no noise suggesting the color wheel.

I have some extra parts for this set, have worked on it before. Changed the lamp twice so far, changed the color wheel once, and a power supply as I recall.

Not sure which board might be causing this. Anyone experience this type of issue?

Colors are all there but not in proper balance. Whites are ok. Green is tinted red, even black is tinted red.

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: HLP4663WX-XAA screen color went to red quickly

Postby noakes » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:44 am

Found out some more on this, I wasn't present when this happened.

The set shut down on its own, my relatives said they had a hard time turning it back on.

Picture has terrible contrast. I've never seen a picture like this on any tv even the older CRT units I used to work on.

The picture has white but is awash with red.

I am thinking that one of the following assy's is bad, but not sure which to change first (if I have the module).

CPU, main processor board

DMD assy

Is there another I should be concerned with? Could the color wheel be involved in this in any way?

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: HLP4663WX-XAA screen color went to red quickly

Postby noakes » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:06 am

I had time today to look into this further. I removed the light engine from the unit and looked it over. I had a new light assembly on hand, bought two a long time ago to have if I ever needed one. The old and new lamps looked quite different, the new one much bluer and clearer.

I changed the light assembly and the picture came back to normal.

I don't understand how the lamp caused the issue. There wasn't any dirt on the color wheel or the lenses.

The lamp put out enough light to put white on the screen.

I was convinced there was another issue with the set, DMD or processing board. We've had this set since at least 2002 and the picture is again fine. It doesn't match a plasma or led but it hasn't cost us anywhere near one either.

Unless I disturbed a connection in a connector or on a PC board the new lamp fixed this issue.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”