New Lamp Doesn't Turn On? Try This!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Kvonbose

Re: New Lamp Doesn't Turn On? Try This!

Postby Kvonbose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Hello. I have a new lamp and a new color wheel installed. The blue switch is taped into position, and the ribbon on the CW is in correctly. The TV doesn't fire up, the color wheel doesn't even start to spin and I don't hear anything from the ballast when I start the TV. Do you think the ballast is bad?

dbiehle

Postby dbiehle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:07 pm

I keep hearing about the blue switch that needs to be in the down position...Can someone explain where that is and what it looks like...I am getting the issue of 3 lights and TV will not power on...I have the back off and see the fan spinning, but lamp is not on...Ive ordered a new ballance and I hope this is the issue as the tech said I am not getting enough volts to lamp...

BIG
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BIG » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Last night, my TV died. I took out the lamp and could see that it was a goner. But it was 7 years old, so it has served me well. I bought a replacement lamp and installed it. The TV turns on fine, but after 30 seconds, the picture goes blank, the lights on the front start flashing, and after about a minute, the TV powers off. If I turn it back on, this process repeats. I do not hear a clicking noise and the color wheel is making the normal sound? I took out the lamp and reinstalled it and the same thing happens. Any help would be appreciated.

NoNeck

Postby NoNeck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:30 pm

HI all, new guy here. I just used this and DM to fix my TV. I wanted to share some stuff to hopefully help some of you out. I am not a Tech just a fix it yourselfer. I have a 7 year old HLN617WX Samsung DLP. I paid over 5 grand for this thing! Wish I know the LCD's were coming! Anyway. I had one warranty repair to adjust the screen position and that has been it. My TV recently stopped working and I realized the bulb was probably shot after 7 years. I bought a new Philips to replace the original Osram bulb. I put it in and got the TV to fire and run for a few hours. Next time I went to turn it on, nothing. Well sort of. I heard everything cycle to power on, but the bulb did not light. I saw the color wheel spin etc, so I figured the ballast was bad. I called DM and spoke to a tech there and he agreed it was likely a ballst. All 3 front lights would blink after cycling to start 3 times. Then I would have to unplug it to reset it and it would try 3 more times before going into the blinking light mode. I ended up removing the ballast to get the part number and found the Ballast was only listed as working for an LG and Sony, not Samsung. It looked pretty much identical in the pics, except for a larger heat sink, so I ordered it. Only thing was when I got it, the plug that goes into the bulb was completely different than my plug. CRAP! I searched the part # on line ZNN1826836 and they all seemed to show the same incorrect plug. I then decided it was now or never so I took the two ballasts out the the garage and took apart each plug. I then soldered the OLD crimp on metal connector to the new ballast ends and reinstalled them in the plastic plug housing. Lo and behold, it worked. Just make sure the two leads are numbered one and two in the plug housing. I imagine that's for a reason so I was sure to keep the original configuration. I will post my hours of my original bulb if it did not reset on it's own next time I power the set down.Hope this helps someone!

sopitz

Postby sopitz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:14 pm

I have an older Samsung HLM437W for which I have replace the bulb twice before in about 8 years. Each time it exhibited the same symptoms as this time.

I ordered a replacement bulb from Samsung parts and installed it as always before. I then power on the TV and hear the very faint high pitch sound of the color wheel as it always has done, I also can confirm I feel good airflow from the fan in the back. The TV attempts to start 3 times and then flashes all 3 lights. I need to unplug the set to reset it and each time it repeats the same cycle.

I have read all the forum entries I can find and I don't seem to have the other symptoms of a broken color wheel or the clicking sound of a bad ballast. Are there any other tests I can do to isolate the problem? Is it possible the ballast would be bad without making the sounds everyone else seems to be describing?

11goodfellla

Postby 11goodfellla » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 am

I have had a HLP4663W unit for approx 7 yrs now...

Ive already replaced the lamp twice and the color wheel once..

I just bought another replacement lamp and after installed, Im still getting the same result... Whereas the green lamp indicator blinks for 20-30 seconds, tv turns off and repeats two more times..

After reading some other posts and replies, it seems I need to replace the ballast...

Where can I find detailed instructions on how to do this? I am pretty technically inclined and am pretty sure I can do it myself..

Can anyone help?

kstrina

Postby kstrina » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 am

I found the ballast for your TV it's part #: BP96-00690A.

Google that under shopping and you should find your unit. Look at the picture and find that board inside your TV. Order and replace that part once you look at how it hooks up. It should be very easy. Looks like the lowest price I found was about $70 on Sears Parts Direct.

Good luck.
[url=http://www.cedia.net/homeowners/finder.php]Home Theater Design[/url]

mrindeed

Postby mrindeed » Tue May 10, 2011 2:34 pm

I have a Samsung hls4266wx/xaa that had 3 lights flashing, so replaced the bulb, and everything was fine. TV worked all day and night. When I went to turn tv on the next day lights were back on and tv would not come on. Not getting any clicking sound, just a high pitched sound. Could the lamp gone bad already?

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:07 pm

KDB,
I would assume you have a bad ballast if your old lamp lights, but the new one doesn't. A weak ballast can cause this to happen. When the mercury level in the gas chamber of the lamp gets lower, the lamp becomes easier to spark on. Although it lights up, the picture will be significantly dimmer than a new lamp. A new lamp may require a new ballast if your old ballast is weak and can not fire it up.

Good luck!

lewismichel

Postby lewismichel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 pm

why the new model has so many problems?
The great [url=http://www.limo-services.ca]Limousine[/url] What else you need?

CapeCodDon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CapeCodDon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Cannot power up at all! No bootup chime. I turn on hear initial soft click in front left side have a flashing green lamp light for a couple seconds then a louder slightly louder click in front left area of tv shutting unit off. Power supply? Possibly digital board?

prior to reaching this dead state I had a squealing color wheel (determined from my recent reading) and occasional blackouts but still had audio. I had some strobing and black bars like letterbox format and when I hit guide things went back to normal except strobing. After a few mins strobing stopped and picture was excellent. Color was always fine and when I checked color wheel it appeared fine physically and seemed to spin ok.

My lamp is over 6000 hours and probably need a new one. I likely have more than one issue but need to get power going before I drop $ on light engine etc.

Ovadoggvo you are a dlp hero whether mine gets fixed or not! Way to go!!!!!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 pm

CapeCodDon,
Did the strobing and lines on the screen also affect the menu overlay? Or were they behind the menu?

If the strobing was behind the menu, then the problem is most likely the Digital Board.

If the Menu was affected, then the problem is most likely the DMD Board or Color Wheel. If the color wheel falls off balance, then it can affect the functionality of the DMD Board since they are connected to one-another.

6000 hours on the lamp... I would try a new lamp first... If you want to check your ballast and lamp to see if they still work, try to force on the ballast as instructed here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6&p=4005#p4005

This will tell you if your ballast and lamp are good without spending the money ;-).

Let me know how it goes.

CapeCodDon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CapeCodDon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:06 am

Well, I can't power up to check the menu issue now but I do recall the black bars going away when I turned on the direct tv guide and when I switched to a new channel the bars went away also. These bars displayed as though the format changed like letterbox or a 4/3 vs 16x9 display.

Would the dmd or digital board totally disable the startup as though there were a power supply failure? I just received a used power board on the cheap so I'll try that. There was some screaming going on before the failure so could the color wheel create my dead unit issue? I figured I would need a color wheel and lamp if I get it fixed anyway but I was thinking the inability to power up involved something else. No bootup at all!

I'll try the ballast trick after putting in the power board and let you know how it goes.

CapeCodDon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CapeCodDon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Good news! I replaced the power board and she fires up fine. There is no strobing either. I still have a whining sound from the area of the color wheel and at startup seemed to wind up and down a bit til the unit said ok and sent video. I will replace the color wheel but I am confused why there is no color issues just the sound? Could the color wheel be failing with no video color indication? I just don't want to chase issues that may not apply.

Also, I have two lamps both with 6500+ hours. Should I run till one fails or get a new one? Thanks for your input. I did not try the ballast trick since it's working.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:07 pm

CapeCodDon,
The issue is definitely the color wheel. It will not cause color issues until the wheel actually starts to vary in speed. The whining is the begining... The color issues will come later or intermittently.

If you replace the wheel, you will get much less noise coming out of your TV and you will put less stress on the DMD board as well.

Good luck! I'm glad you got that baby going again.

CapeCodDon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CapeCodDon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks! I figured as much. I notice the color wheel rpm going up and down a bit now at startup and it's slow to produce video. I'll get a new color wheel and replace the old. I may as well get a new lamp as well but I'm concerned a new lamp may effect the ballast since my HLM507W is almost 10 years old with only a lamp change prior to the power board just replaced. it seems the ballasts out there all look different than mine and if the ballast goes and I can't find a replacement then what a waste! Thanks for your input!

iwantrevenge
Contributor
Contributor

Postby iwantrevenge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 pm

hey gang, i have a samsung HLP4663WX/XAA and every time im watching something and a bright mostly white picture comes on the screen the bulb will cut off and the picture will go black untill the bright white part of the show is over this is very annoying and i just replaced the bulb and get the same result. also some faint horizontal lines appear in conjunction with other horizontal lines during a show. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

imran

Postby imran » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 pm

fjoseph

Postby fjoseph » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 pm

I have a S6187w dlp that's about 5 years old. Lamp has 5000 hrs. TV started to shut off by itself with blinking lights. Got a new replacement lamp today and installed it, and also reset the lamp life to 0 hours. After a few minutes (still in service menu) it shuts off. Turn it back on and there's a high pitch fast beep coming from the back.
Could this be the ballast or color wheel? or worse?

Thanks
Franklin

wmako
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wmako » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 pm

My HL-S5087W is not powering on correctly. I have read through all of this info, I was hoping to get some confirmation of what I think I have learned.

When I turn on the TV, the “lamp” LED blinks as I hear it power up. It blinks about 20 times, until I hear a distinct click. At that time the red “standby” LED comes on, and the cycle begins again. After three cycles, everything shuts down, and I am left with three blinking LEDs. I replaced the lamp (Philips) and still have the same problem.

I spoke with someone at Discount Merchant, and they are telling me to replace the ballast. The info I am reading here (if I am understanding it correctly) suggests the single click I hear is the ballast trying to fire the lamp, and the click means the ballast is working correctly.

Is that correct? - the single click I am hearing means the ballast is working correctly?

I also found this right on Discount Merchants web site:
What are the main symptoms of a bad ballast?
1. The TV gives a "Lamp Replacement" code when powering on the TV even when the lamp has been replaced.
2. The TV does not make a "Click" noise or "Surge" when pressing the power button. The click noise is one of the fastest ways to decide whether the ballast or other components of your TV are bad rather than the lamp.
3. The TV makes rapid "Clicking" noises (3-5 clicks every 2-3 seconds). This means that your ballast is weak and can not fire the lamp.

I also have noticed that when I plug the TV in, it comes on automatically, and is not going into standby. I also thought I read that this means my DIGITAL BOARD is the problem.

Does this sound right? I need to replace my DIGITAL BOARD and not the ballast? I hate buying parts I don’t need. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HDHero
Contributor
Contributor

Postby HDHero » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey everyone, first post here. Hoping I can get some help with my Samsung HL50A650.

Two weeks ago, the TV went out and left me with the three blinking lights error code, denoting a faulty lamp. I didn't hear any sort of strange clicking sound and on examination, the filament of my old lamp was looking worn. No issue, I ordered the correct model number replacement from DM and it arrived two days ago.

I installed the new lamp using all the necessary precautions and started up the TV and it worked like a charm! Picture quality was nice and bright again and I couldn't have been happier. One day later, I turned on the TV and was met with the same three blinking light error code. I went closer and re-examined my installation, everything was in place correctly. I still heard no strange clicking or whirring sounds, just the same issue I had before that rectified itself with a new lamp.

I'm at a loss for what I should do now? Was there something I should have reset when I installed the new lamp? Could it be my ballast?

kevin80

Postby kevin80 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:17 am

it is a question we often encounter
[url=http://www.vietnamparadisvoyage.com]Voyage Vietnam[/url] | [url=http://www.vietnamparadisvoyage.com/Circuits/Vietnam]Circuits Vietnam[/url] | [url=http://www.vietnamparadisetravel.com]Vietnam Travel[/url]

mack0196

Postby mack0196 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 am

wd 65731. I have the blinking yellow light when plugging the TV. Took the back panel off, found the blue switch had popped off. I have put the switch back on with tape with the trigger pushed in. Still have the blinking yellow light, any thoughts?

Update: I disconnected the plug from the board that houses the switch, then shorted the plug with a small wire. This completes the connection in effect overriding the switch.

mohammed1232

Postby mohammed1232 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:15 am

hi i just baught a lamp for my tv its a 72" dlp tv and for some reason it dosnt turn on the only light thats blinking is the lamp and solution

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Can anyone shed light on what to do with this from here?: I just replaced every major component: the ballast, the color wheel, the ballast, and the lamp; and the dmd board; and i still can not get the lamp to fire. Before i replaced the color wheel which had shattered; everything was working fine. That was like 4 months ago. Gradually ive been replacing the major the components listed above and like i said i still can not get the lamp to fire. When i try to put power to the tv and turn it on; I hear one small click coming from the analong(tuner) board; then a bigger click i believe coming from the ballast; but i hear no spinning from the color wheel and no lamp firing. This is on a samsung hlr4667wax/xaa by the way. Its a 46" dlp. Thanks Matt

lovethemhdtvs
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lovethemhdtvs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Don't take this as absolute. The clicking you hear, is normal, if comming from the ballast; as it is trying to fire the lamp.

I've heard that on some models, all can be fine with parts; but lamp will not light due to lamp hours setting has exceeded set limit.

You can clear lamp hours setting by going into factory menu and clearing. Before powering on set do this:

Hit following buttons on remote in this order:

"Mute, 1, 8, 2" or "Menu, 1, 8, 2".

Go to "Options"

Use "Clear Bulb" or similar option to clear the hours.

This has not been a problem with my HLP6585WX/XAA as the last time I looked at it, it had over 32K hrs. showing; but I have

heard that on some models, the lamp will not fire if hrs. are greater than some arbitrary number.

Hope this may help someone.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”