HLP6163W problem< New lamp and Color wheel

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
luttmane

HLP6163W problem< New lamp and Color wheel

Postby luttmane » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:39 pm

I own a Samsung HLP6163WX/XAA DLP HDTV. The problem started like this:

When I'd turn it on, it would always make a strange high-pitched noise several times before it would turn on. This oscillating tone, noise, starts off high pitched and then decreases to a lower pitch several times in succession but starting at a lower pitch at successive times all within a few seconds. At first no problem with the TV. But then the TV started failing to come on but I could get it started by playing around with starting and stopping it with the remote. This problem progressed to various stages with the 3 lights on the start button cycling through it‘s stages. At first the TV would start to work for a while but gradually the problem got worse with clicks and attempted restarts and finally no work at all.

During the course of this I replaced the lamp and the color wheel but the symptoms did not change!

The old lamp and color wheel I believe were good. I don’t think this is the bad color wheel bearing problem that other people have mentioned. The color wheel I took out did not at all appear damaged and the noise is more like a tone that a scraping problem.

Can anybody help? I don’t want to keep putting money into it on guesses.

BlueNateMan

Re: HLP6163W problem< New lamp and Color wheel

Postby BlueNateMan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:12 pm

I am new to fixing my Samsung HLP6163W, and what I have learned so far tells me that is the ballast. I just ordered a new one and I will be installing it as soon as it arrives. That high pitched noise for my TV was accompanied by pops or clicks. The lamp stopped coming on. After removing the back and having a friend turn the TV on while I held the trigger in place (the "trigger" is a little plastic lever that makes sure the TV wont come on when the back is removed). Once the TV was on it could not be turned off again, and my friend told me all the words were lit up on the power button. From my end I heard a loud pop and then fizz along with a small flash were the ballast meets the lamp. It also let out a harsh smell for the first time. I already replaced the lamp with an after market cheap lamp and I hope that it was not what caused the problem. If it is I will have to get not only a new lamp but possibly another new ballast. I might do that anyway. If anyone has any knowledge on this matter please jump in. Thank you!!!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HLP6163W problem< New lamp and Color wheel

Postby grayfox » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:11 am

I agree ^

It might be a ballast, but the fact that you have had to replace the colorwheel before tells me there might be something wrong, something as little as ventilation... the ballast can make an arching buzzing electronic sound, but a whinny whirled or grindy sound is almost always a bad colorwheel..
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Samsung Discussion”