Red Color Problem on HLN617W

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Red Color Problem on HLN617W

Postby jcc56 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 am

I have a 5 year old, low hours 61" Samsung HLN617W DLP. Set was repaired at an authorized Samsung repair shop because picture was freezing. Digital board was replaced to correct problem. However, after getting the set back and installed, the color is very red. Although all colors (red, green, and blue) are present, it appears almost as though red is on full time causing all colors to shift to red. No odd noises (like color wheel problem). Fans and bulb working fine. Picture quality great except for red shift.

The shop is approx 50 miles away so did have to transport the set from there to home. They claim it was working there but I didn't have any issues (bumps, drops, etc) driving home or getting installed in cabinet so don't think that caused it unless possibly there is a connection that is loose?

Any idea what could be wrong or what I can check? Thanks in advance for any help.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red Color Problem on HLN617W

Postby Angel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Does this problem happen with all the inputs?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Good question. I hadn't checked that. I'm using Component 2 Input (Y, Pr, Pb) for DVD and HD Cable box input. I'm using S-Video Input for a VCR. S-Video input looks fine. Component 2 has the red problem. When checking things a few days I think I also tried Component 3 Input (Y, Pr, Pb) and it had the same red color problem as Component 2.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Try the HDMI, I think the problem is in the analog board. Check also if the menu is affected by the red tint, just to discard a DMD failure.

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:53 pm

OK, is "HDMI" input the same thing as "DVI"? There is not an input labeled HDMI. Anyway, I assume DVI would bypass the analog board so I'll try that when I get home (if I have a cable). Thanks for the replies and your help!

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:10 pm

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Great, thought that was the case except DVI doesn't support audio IIRC. Anyway, will have to get an HDMI to DVI adapter for my DVI cable and will check it tonight. In the meantime, I pulled up the menu screen and the colors are fine on it. So far, the only time the color is bad is using the Component 2 or Component 3 inputs. Will let you know how the DVI input check comes out.

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 pm

Update: Tested HDMI/DVI input. No color problems. Tested cable Antenna A input. No color problems. Looks like it's only the Component 2 and Component 3 Inputs that exhibit the problem.

Talked to the repair shop again and they are now saying they suspect the digital board they installed is bad...... Your thoughts?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm

jcc56
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jcc56 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Just wanted to follow up and let you know how this all turned out.

Service tech installed another new digital card. Red color problem still existed. After several minutes of investigation, tech accessed the service menus and began checking various data settings. He then made some changes to several values. Not sure if he manually initiated an auto-calibration procedure or if he manually set certain values but result was to essentially recalibrate color settings. Following that, the picture was back to normal. I don't know if those values are stored on the digital board and therefore were not correctly set once the new board was installed or not. Also, not sure why it was only affecting the component video inputs unless the calibration values he was messing with are only for those inputs. Color on all other inputs was normal already. He seemed surprised to have to perform this step as well......

Bottom line, the set is fixed and working great so far which is a big step up from where it was. Not sure of the exact steps but if anyone else ever has an odd color issue, be sure and ask about calibration parameters in the service menus.

Thanks for your inputs!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”