HL507W freezes in B&W

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
rsah
Contributor
Contributor

HL507W freezes in B&W

Postby rsah » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 pm

I have a HLN507WX/XAA which has operated flawlessly until it turned 6 yo. Since then, it starts fine, but after a few minutes the picture freezes in black and white, but the audio continues. It can only be powered down by unplugging it. The lamp seems fine, the colorwheel is spinning without noise, the 3 fans are all working.

HLN507WX_negativeimage.JPG
HLN507WX picture frozen in black & white
HLN507WX_negativeimage.JPG (137.78 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

After reading numerous threads with similar issues, the main culprit most often noted is a bad DMD. If this is the case, the question is what replacement to buy? Some of the parts site show pictures, while others do not, so it's hard to see what the difference is between various options.

For example, D-M lists a "AA41-00694E Projection - DMD Board FOR SAMSUNG N/A - HLN437W/HLN507W", which is currently not in stock and does not have a picture of what you are getting (bare board?), whereas a customer service rep told me it was a "BP41-00119B Projection - DMD Board FOR SAMSUNG N/A -", which they have in stock with pictures; but, it isn't clear if this is the correct board.

The Samsung parts site doesn't list either of these boards, but has a "BP96-00249A ASSY COVER P-DMD" with no picture. This is considerable more expensive ($537 versus $180 for the D-M board), but does include a $150 credit for return of the old core. But what comes with the assembly cover P-DMD versus just the DMD board?

Another solution sometimes suggested is to replace the entire light engine (BP96-00305A, Projection - Light Engine (No Lamp & NO Colorwheel) $240), but D-M only lists model HLN5067W (not HLN507W). The Samsung parts site does indicate this is the correct part number for an HLN507W with a price of $950 (-$350 credit for core return), but with no picture.

1) Is this a problem with my DMD board?
2) If so, which of these options would satisfy replacing a bad DMD and/or would be the best way to go?

I stuck trying to decide whether to go forward with this on my own, call a service tech, or buy a new set and would appreciate some guidance.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HL507W freezes in B&W

Postby Angel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Yes, I think this is a DMD board issue

The DMD board should include the assembly, it's part of the board, so D-M and samsungparts should be selling you the same thing.

What do you mean by "it isn't clear if this is the correct board"?, does it look different, did you see all the pictures?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”