Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
tarap
Contributor
Contributor

HLS4266XW - 3 Lights Blinking and fast Beep

Postby tarap » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi,

I've replaced the lamp in my DLP and am still getting the 3 lights with a very fast beep when I turn it on. I bought another lamp (Phillips), just in case I got a bad one, and it's still doing the same thing.

Would it be better to try replacing the ballast first and then possibly the color wheel? I looked around here, but didn't see much on anyone's TV beeping.

Thanks for helping - this is a great website.

Tara

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: HLS4266XW - 3 Lights Blinking and fast Beep

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 pm

On my DLP there's a little blue switch that must be pushed forward far enough for the tv to turn on.
On my model there's a stack of 1" black plates that are stuck to the interior-side of the Lamp access panel that need to be in place in order to push the switch far enough forward (Note: the switch won't work if the panel is off or if it's been warped by heat).
To ensure that the switch isn't the problem try taping it in place pushed all the way forward.
If this doesn't help make sure all your connections and screws are in place and then check the ballast.
The color wheel usually makes a funny clicking/grinding sound when it's bad - if you hear that then it's probably the color wheel.
Hope this helps... good luck!

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks, I taped the blue switch up and turned on the TV and the same thing happened. I'm not hearing any clicking or grinding sounds when it comes on, just the fast beep for about 20 seconds and the TV shuts off. I can't really see where the color wheel is to tell if it's still turning and I don't have a way to check the power that would be coming out of the ballast. Do you think I should try replacing the ballast first?

I appreciate your help.

Tara

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:33 pm

When exactly did the beeping start - before or after you replaced the lamp for the first time?
If after, I would suggest checking all the connections (make sure all cables are in place - try very gently wiggling and pressing them in to be sure they are snug - and be sure all screws are accounted for).
Also, when you press power do you hear a surging sound (indicating the ballast is firing) and can you see any light shining out the back of the TV?
If so, your ballast should be working properly and something else is isn't.
The color wheel is further inside the TV and can be reached by removing the light engine - I'd suggest to hold off doing this until you've eliminated everything else first.
If you have a digital camera it would help if you took a clear snapshot of the inside of your TV (particularly of the lamp and ballast) and upload it via the "Upload attachment" tab next to "Options" below the reply pane.

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 pm

The beeping started happening when the TV shut completely off and wouldn't come back on. I ordered a replacement lamp, because the same thing happened about 3 years ago and that fixed the problem (don't remember the beeping though). I bought a second lamp just to see if the first was defective and it did the same thing. I removed and reinserted the lamp 11 times, carefully checking to make sure that all screws were in correctly and that the rear door was on the right way.

I'll try and take a picture of the inside of the TV tonight. Thanks again.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:07 pm

A redundant suggestion is to make sure the lamp housing is pushed all the way in - there's two prong connections that have to insert into the back in order for the lamp to function.
I've been doing some research and some say the ballast, others the DMD board or digital board.
There's a connection that could be in backwards but it only connects the color wheel so unless you've unplugged any non-lamp connections I doubt that's the problem.
Can you hear any sound (besides the beeping) - clicking, whirring, etc. - or see any light out the back when you hit the power button?

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 pm

I don't hear anything else besides the beeping when I turn it on and there is no light on in the back. I've just ordered a new ballast from Discount Merchant, so I'll post back here if that fixes the problem. Could you possibly point me to a guide on how to replace this? I found one on here, but that is a for a different model. Mine is an HLS4266xw/xaa.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Tara

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I can't seem to find a guide for your exact model (which I think is actually a HLS4266wx/xaa - HLS4266xw/xaa doesn't seem to exist) but if you could send me a snapshot or at least sketch the area around your lamp in detail - including screws connections and etc - (windows paint works good) then I can walk you through it.

P.S. I've been doing some research and your switch may be required to be in the DOWN position rather than forward as I instructed earlier.
Also, have you tried resetting your TV? If not then unplug your TV from the wall and hold down the power button on your remote (while it's still unplugged) for 10 seconds.
This only sometimes works but it's worth a try.

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm

You are correct on the model. Tried resetting but nothing changed. Also, when i put the switch down OR up, nothing changes. Still fast beep and the lamp wont come on.

I'll post a picture shortly.

Tara

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Here's a picture of the inside. If you need a better picture, just let me know and I'll try to get one.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (251.88 KiB) Viewed 20047 times

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for the photo... one more further to the right should just about do it.
If you set your camera on a level, sationary surface it will help steady the picture and provide me with a bit more detail so I can tell you what exactly to unscrew and disconnect.
Also, if you have a flashlight or lamp it would help to shine that one the area as well.
Thanks!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (143.9 KiB) Viewed 20045 times

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:26 pm

P.S. In your picture only the lamp has been removed... correct?

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:57 pm

I'll get another picture now. And yes, the lamp is out.

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:06 am

Here's another picture.
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG (74.55 KiB) Viewed 20044 times

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Okay, I can see where your ballast is now and there's two connections you'll need to disconnect - I can't see if there's any more in the back so when you remove the ballast just do so slowly and if you see any other wires that are pulling taught, stop and detach those as well.
ballast.JPG
ballast.JPG (59.3 KiB) Viewed 20038 times
connections.JPG
connections.JPG (49.79 KiB) Viewed 20038 times

As far as screws go just remove what seems to be keeping it in place.
Last edited by FixItMeself on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 pm

By the way, if you want some in-depth, technical info on your TV you can purchase the service manual which includes a troubleshooting guide that could help.
It should also show how to replace the ballast, lamp, color wheel and actuator... that-a-way you don't have to keep taking pics if you don't want to.
Here's one site that provides the manual for your model that's not too spendy:

Some sites, though often limited, provide free service manuals - just enter "free service manuals" + your model # in any search engine (yahoo, google... etc.).
I bought one on eBay but it didn't seem quite complete so be wary if you go in that direction.
Hope this helps!
Have a great day!

tarap
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tarap » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks. Replaced the ballast yesterday and still having the exact same symptoms. Any thoughts as to what I should try next?

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Try checking all your circuit boards, see if you can find any visible signs of damage (anything that looks burnt, cracked, melted etc...).
See also if you can locate a fuse (very small, clear, glass tube with a tiny wire running through it) and see if it looks blown (smoky glass and/or the wire will be severed).

fuse.jpg
fuse.jpg (193.89 KiB) Viewed 19989 times

If everything seems fine the problem may be with the DMD board or power supply... but before purchasing anything else I'd advise troubleshooting it to death.
Let me know if you find anything - if not we'll go from there.

P.S. Did you buy a new housing with your lamp or just the lamp and installed it in the old housing?

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Have you made any more progress?

Return to “Samsung Discussion”