WD-52531 Lamp replaced but still no picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jls2307

WD-52531 Lamp replaced but still no picture

Postby jls2307 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Yesterday I replaced the lamp and the TV worked fine all day. Today I turned it on and there was no picture just audio. I took the lamp out and put it back in and the TV worked fine. I turned the TV off for awhile this afternoon and when I turned it on there was no picture just audio. I tried to take the lamp out again and put it back in but that solution is not working this time. The timer light on the TV is red so I know the lamp is not turning on. I have read through some other posts and I'm wondering if the problem is the ballast. It seems like if it was the ballast then it would not have worked at all when I replaced the lamp. Does anyone have any suggestions? Where can I purchase a ballast and is it a repair that I can do myself? I'm trying to decide whether to return the lamp altogether and get a new TV or purchase a ballast and attempt the repair myself.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: WD-52531 Lamp replaced but still no picture

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Hello jls2307.
First of all have you closed the lamp door before turning the TV on? There is a small switch that sends a signal to the TV (the DMD board to be more precise) when the lamp door is opened and it wont let the tv turn on as a security precaution.
Also, do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the tv? Any clicking whining, whirling, hissing or buzzing? Did you get any distortion with your picture before the tv went out?
These questions are so we can narrow the problem and find a reasonable solution.
Good luck.
Last edited by ChubbsTech on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

jls2307

Postby jls2307 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm

The lamp door was closed before turning it on. There doesn't seem to be any strange noises. It sounds like it is turning on and then the light turns red. The picture was not distorted at all when it was on.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Hello again jls2307.
Another question, have you cleaned the inside of your TV? Some times the dust tends to over heat the component of the lamps, also it can clog the fans so they can’t ventilate properly the inside. While you’re at it see if you can inspect the color wheel, look for any signs of broken parts. If it’s not a heating problem then the other two possible reasons might be the ballast or color wheel. Normally (not every time) they make one of the previous noises that I mention in my last post here. So up until this pint its not clear yet what’s causing the tv to not turn on.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”