Wd-62531 issue

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
drackonos10

Wd-62531 issue

Postby drackonos10 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Hello everyone. I have a 62" Mitsubishi WD-62531 720p tv. Ive recently replaced the bulb for the tv as the red bulb light was lit up although now i find that the bulb may not have been blown? I guess there is no question if these bulbs are blown when you look at them and i didnt realize the way these bulbs blow was so dramatic compared to say, a normal household light. Anyways my problem is that now my tv will work for the first time i turn it on after putting the bulb in...works all day long as long as i dont turn it off again. Once the tv is powered down and I attempt to turn it back on im right back to having the red bad bulb light on and the tv wont display anything. If i open up the back and pull the bulb out and put it back in the tv will fire up again fine for 1 time until it is turned off again. I really would rather not leave the tv on all day/night just to keep from having to do this lol but is there anything i can do to fix this issue? If i might have to replace a circuit board about how much would the replacement cost and should I attempt it with only basic electronics knowledge? Just trying to avoid using tax money to buy a new tv so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Wd-62531 issue

Postby grayfox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Hello,
this is actually a very common problem especially with Mitsubishi and especially after changing a lamp :roll: ! 90% of the times this happens it is because of a weak ballast, it generates 15,000 volts to ignite the lamp, which is why it works on if you turn it and leave it on, (ignition occurs only once :D ) the part is called a Lamp Ballast Driver. there should be a part number on the board itself, it plugs directly into the lamp, it is aprox 3 by 6 inch board with only 2 plugs and a couple of screws, easy to swap out, nothing to cut or soder, (there is a sample under guides in this website if you want to take a look).
Hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

ghostpix
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ghostpix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi drackonos10, Just so you know, I had nearly an identical issue and was also told it was the ballast and it was not. $80 spent for a new ballast after $130 spent for a new lamp and still had the same problem. This was on a 60735 model so only a couple years old. Luckily I came to the decision these TV's arent meant to last and took the entire thing apart and parted out everything I could and sold it on eBay to all the other people who have problems with their Mitsubishis, I took the money and bought a proper TV. Good thing about these TV's is they break so often there's ALWAYS people who need a light engine, or DM board or ballast or lamp or power supply.

I do hope the ballast works for you, but be prepared that if it does, in 6 months to a year down the road you'll need to spend another $200 + for the next thing that goes wrong with it.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:25 pm

thank you ghostpix!
Yes some DLPs are hard to diagnose :cry: , and parting with it is getting more common, the reason I post to help is because I have a 60" Samsung and it cost me well over $2000 back in 2004. Since then Ive changed the lamp twice and the ballast once (more or less the same prices you got them for, AND WITHOUT GOING TO A TECH :) ) costing me around $300. to me it is worth my long term investment since a new 60 inch LCD today will cost me another 2000, I am hanging on to this one as long as I can, it has HDMI inputs and picture is great! :mrgreen:
I am sorry to hear about your tv being torn apart and sold piece by piece. But now you got a new one so hooray! :D
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”