Bulb Question on WD-73733

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jwatts
Contributor
Contributor

Bulb Question on WD-73733

Postby jwatts » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:59 pm

I bought my TV in 2007 and up untill now it has worked great. However, not long ago I noticed the picture was not quite as bright as it had been. It worked fine last night but when I turned it on today it wouldn't light up. Then after a couple of minutes it turned itself off and I got the red light on the front. I believe this indicates the bulb is dead, right? I removed the bulb cartridge but the bulb looks fine as far as I can tell. I mean there's no obvious indication that it's burned out. It's still clear and the filament appears to be intact. It was a little dusty so I cleaned it and reinstalled it but got the same results when I turned it on. Does it happen often that these bulbs will be burned out without looking like it's burned out or do you think I may have other issues?
I would sure be grateful for any information you could offer.
jwatts

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Bulb Question on WD-73733

Postby grayfox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello! :D
Well most of the times a factory lamp will get to the point is completely burns out or shatters :shock: , but it is not unheard of some lamps just going out without much physical evidence :roll: . hint* if you take a look at the tip of the filament inside the lamp, the one closest to the front of the glass, there is a wire that connect to one coming from the concave inside of the lamp. The wire coming from the middle glass filament can be "frosted" kind of like when a car battery gets sulfate, this can also be an indicator! :evil:

I am assuming this is the first time you are in need of a lamp replacement so I wont go into the ballast issue with these TV's just yet :| , I rather suggest you try a new lamp since there is a 90% chance that is all you need by what you describe. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

jwatts
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jwatts » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks so much for responding. I checked the wires and I don't see any frosting or discoloration or anything obvious. One thing I did notice that has me puzzled was there appears to be dust kind of scattered over the inner walls of the glass inside the bulb. How would that get in there? Could that be an indication it's a goner?
One other question if I may, I've noticed while reading this forum that some folks make reference to accessing error codes on their TV's. Do some TVs have an on board diagnostic feature? Is there a way I can do that on mine? I checked through my manual (quickly) but didn't see anything regarding that.
Thanks again for your help.
jwatts

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 pm

its no trouble!
those little freckles had to come from the middle glass bubble down the filament in the center of the lamp... if it is fogged in any way it has to be bad, it should be crystal clear :oops: in order for it to be good
In your owners manual or the service manual (depending on model) there should be a service menu to access the errors a TV can diagnose, in most DLPs that indicator is the lamp LED in the front! :|
usually these are reserved to technicians to diagnose. :cry:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

jwatts
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jwatts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:43 am

Well, it's a little difficult to tell but the middle column in the filament appears to be clear. However, I think I'm going to go ahead and order a bulb for it and try that. Even if I don't need it now I'm sure I will eventually. Do you know of a good place to get one at a reasonable price and what brand is usually the best?
When I bought this TV I also bought an extended warranty. I never (except that one time) buy extended warranties but the salesman at the store where I bought the TV went into a 30 minute dialogue on the short life expectancy of these bulbs and how this warranty would cover all costs involved with repairing any problem for the full duration of the contract with no exceptions. Essentially the specific reason I bought the warranty was for bulb replacement because I knew I would be needing one. I haven't had any problems with the TV until now so I've never had to use it. This morning when I called them about the bulb I was told the company the contract was with when I bought it sold out to the present company and this new company considers these bulbs a consumer replaceable item so they refuse to cover it. I'm sure you know what they told me then--"There's nothing we can do about it. "
When someone takes money from someone else without giving something in return we are usually told it's a crime but when someone wearing a white collar takes someone's money through deception we are told " it's just business."
Anyway, I thank you for taking the time out of your day to answer my questions. I do appreciate it very much. You restored my belief that there are still some good people in the world in spite of all the rip-offs.
jwatts

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 pm

:lol: white collar = just business :o

sad but true, and truth be told there were not that many warranties offered that covered consumable parts like lamps, except like ones from Sears, third party extended warranties never cover the lamp, trust me I have gotten many of these cases as a tech! This is where I buy the lamps for my customers:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Mitsub ... mp-enc.htm

Hope this helps, when I am stumped I usually call them, they trouble shoot for free over the phone!

jwatts
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jwatts » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:08 am

Again, many thanks to you for all your help. If you ever have occasion to come to Oregon let me know. I would be pleased to meet you somewhere and treat you to some type of cold adult beverage.......... or a cup of coffee if you prefer.
I'll get a bulb ordered and let you know how this turns out.
Regards,
jwatts

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 am

It is no problem jWatts! :D
That is very nice of you :mrgreen: a cold one is always welcome, as a SDSU alumni i'd like to extend you the same kindness, any time you are anywhere near Sunny San Diego, I know where the best Bars and Dinners are 8-)

Keep us posted! :P

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”