Forum rules
fixyourdlpblog
Site Admin
Site Admin

How To Install A Sony XL-5100 Lamp.

Postby fixyourdlpblog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:37 pm

stuart
Submitted on 2009/01/04 at 3:47pm

It’s not that big of a deal. Every 3 years you need to install a bulb. It’s an esy DIY job.

It takes one phillips screw to open the bulb compartment on the right side of the set,..then pull the handle to remove the cartridge. At this point you can install a new cartridge,..or dissasemble the cartridge (one philips screw and one small nut) and install the new builb. I did mine in about 10 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of household pliars. So your costs over 15 years (4 replacements after using up the orrigional) would be $440,..not 3 grand. In the world of super high-end TV’s,…that’s cheap.

Here’s a place that sells the bulb alone for $135,…or the bulb already installed in a rebuilt OEM housing for $155. At $155 it makes it a 2 minute swap,..with only one phillips screw to remove and replace. ( and $155 x 4 replacements is still $620 over the last 12 years of the TV’s life). Seriously,..if you can clean your dryers’ lint screen,..you can change this bulb.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How To Install A Sony XL-5100 Lamp.

Postby Angel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 pm

I agree with stuart, replacing the lamp is easy, but I'd prefer buy at discount-merchant, the bulb alone is for 124.99 and is a Philips (In my opinion better than Osram).
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

Return to “Sony LCD Projection Discussion”