Replacing Basslast in 44NHM84

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
nuncios

Replacing Basslast in 44NHM84

Postby nuncios » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:09 pm

My t.v. went through a year long phase where it would take numerous attempts to turn it on. I would have to leave the cable disconnected until it came on and then let it warm up for five minutes before changing it over to the cable feed. Each attempt would last 30 to 60 seconds, with the screen glowing some and then going dark several times during the process. Finally, the screen would flash blue, go out immediately, followed by a buzzing sound from the t.v. and the indicator light would go back to the red "standby" mode. After about six to ten attempts, it would stay on. If I switched over to the cable feed too quickly, the lamp would go out. Finally, it got to the point where it would not come on at all. The television repair shop said it was the lamp and that it would cost $700, because they had to replace the whole lamp housing assembly. I declined. I purchased a bulb and replaced it following instructions found on line. simple enough, but unfortunatley, it exhibits the same behavior.

I am now looking at replacing the ballast. I have taken off the front screen and the cover over the "guts". I found a service manual on line, which shows an exploded view. The ballast appears to be found beneath the light cage. Am I reading that correctly. If that is true, it may be too much for me to handle, as I don't see a way to get to it without taking everything on top of it apart. Is replacing the ballast something that a novice can pull off? Is there a guide anywhere that you are aware of? I am holding off on ordering a ballast until I determine if I have a fighting chance to replace it myself.

Thank you.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Replacing Basslast in 44NHM84

Postby grayfox » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm

On some Toshiba DLP televisions the ballast will actually be isolated from other components (like inside a plastic housing or cover). If you take a good look at the service manual and it show no other entry for the removal, and you know the exact location you might be forced to remove the light engine, however this is very unlikely.
The ballast itself is easy to replace, if you take a look at a guide on this websites homepage, the ballast is about 2.5" by 6" and it is consistent (upon removal) of one 2 pin plug coming from the power supply, one sensor plug on the side and the power outlet plug that connects directly with the lamp. there is nothing to cut or solder, just screws and plugs.
Hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Toshiba DLP Discussion”