Suggest a topic for discussion!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
ourlivinghome
Contributor
Contributor

Need help. Waiting for Post approval.

Postby ourlivinghome » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Hello all. I'm rather new to the forum. Although, I've lurked around here a few times looking for advice. I'm currently working on trying to repair a Mitsubishi 73735 DLP. I've made a post in the Mitsu section, it is still waiting for approval since yesterday. I don't expect anyone to rush out and help me for free. But I would appreciate if I could at least get my thread going.

I'm not completely helpless with electronics. Some would call me an expert, but I know better. Apparently, I killed my Multimeter by trying to test voltage going to the lamp. I suppose I won't be doing that again. It seemed like I wasn't getting power to the Ballast from the PS, but my new working meter shows ~325v DC and drops to ~315 each of the 3 times the fan spins up. From what I've read here, I should be getting up to about 380v DC?

I'm helping a family friend with this problem. A previous tech replaced the lamp. When that didn't work he said it must need a new ballast. Then he disappeared. So, I ordered a new ballast without even looking at the TV (only $35). I replaced it with no problem, but the lamp still won't fire.

I can see the color wheel spinning through the little window with the lamp out. I can feel one capacitor on the PS board that is very very slightly swollen on top. It is one of 2 that are closest to the yellow and black leads going to the Ballast.

My guess is that this cap is going bad and that's why I'm only getting 325v DC to the ballast. I also can't verify the lamp that the previous tech had installed. The housing looks original, and I can't match the number on the lamp to anything saying it is right for this TV.

I would love to get this thing working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And I promise to follow up and post whatever finally fixes this. I've seen quite a few posts here that just end, without any final answer. Thus not providing much help to future visitors.

Return to “Forum Feedback”