Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
froggie
Contributor
Contributor

dropped RPTV not working

Postby froggie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Help!

We were moving our Mitsubishi TV and dropped it. Not very far though. It was just a couple of inches off the ground but it went down with a bang and we heard something crash inside. Now the TV won`t turn on. Can anyone help us fix this before Super Bowl? Does it sound serious i.e. are you buying a new TV :(

Merci,

Francois

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: dropped RPTV not working

Postby grayfox » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:32 am

Hello Froggie,

Well even though the countdown for Super Bowl XLVIII has begun do not be alarmed, there are several things that can break inside that are easily replaceable. I would have to begin with the model number of your television to determine what kind of components your TV has inside, maybe if possible the replacement lamp code (If you have never replaced the lamp this number usually begins with a 915P*****).

If you could please describe the sound it made when it fell and if its making any attempt to come on when you try to power it on. Was the sound like a glass shattering, plastic breaking or other?

I hope I can help you diagnose your TV in time!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

froggie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby froggie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi grayfox,

We have a Mitsubishi WD-82842 -- it's been a great unit and we haven't had any problems with it after 3 years of moderate use. We were moving it just across the room to get rid of the reflection from the window. It was only a few inches off the ground but when it got dropped it got really banged. We heard what sounded like glass breaking -- it reminded me of when you break a bulb. I think maybe it is the lamp since that has a bulb? I only pressed the on button once and then stopped when it wouldn't turn on because I was worried about doing more damage. Should I call the TV technician. Our warranty is finished so if I can fix this on my own with the help of my brother-in-law who is a computer technician, that would be great. My wife won't be so mad at me. Should have asked her first.

merci mon amie,

francois

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 pm

bonjour et bienvenue francois!

Well the best way to begin if you have not done so is to check the lamp, if this had been recently shut down the lamp would have been warmer and weaker more prone to shatter on an impact. If you remove the lamp and it is broke then you are safe. I found the replacement lamp for the Mitsubishi WD-82842 or WD82842 which are the same, it is Lamp Replacement 915B455011, 915B455012 and 915B455A12. These are all compatible with your TV, however I do strongly recommend you go with a Philips brand lamp from a Philips Authorized dealer. I don't believe any technicians are authorized by Philips themselves, but a sure place to get the original would be Discount Merchant, I found it for you and posted the link below. At this point I really hope the lamp inside your TV is shattered which sounds like a horrible thing to say, but it it the best DLP problem to have in this situation because this is an easy lamp replacement. Have you replaced the lamp on your TV before or on any other RPTV? It takes no more than 10 minutes (be sure to select Philips and Lamp with Housing for a safer and quick installation).

https://www.discount-merchant.com/p-146877-mitsubishi-915b455011-lamp-replacement-915b455a12.aspx

If the lamp does not look shattered please let me know..!!

bonne chance !
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

froggie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby froggie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:11 am

Hey Grayfox,

Thanks for the information about the lamp. I took off the back of the TV and sure enough it's the lamp. It was shattered. I ordered another Mitsubishi WD-82842 lamp from Discount Merchant with the number 915B455011/915B455A11. I doubled checked with the customer service just to make sure. I looked on your blog and found this D.I.Y. guide for installing the new 915B455011 Lamp. It looks really straight forward but can you offer any suggestions? Is this the correct guide:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/11/28/how-to-replace-the-mitsubishi-wd-82842-rptv-lamp/

Does the broken lamp have anything to worry about inside it?

Thanks,

Francois

froggie
Contributor
Contributor

lamp repaired now have white dots

Postby froggie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Hey Grayfox,

I got the lamp installed and the TV looks like it's working. There were a few tense moments as everything was resetting itself but according to the manual that is normal for the Mitsubishi WD-82842. We do have one new problem. One the lower right hand side is a small patch of white dots. Not many, about the size of a quarter. They weren't there before so is this got anything to do with changing the lamp? Is is something I need to worry about. I was reading something about colour wheels going on the TV and causing problems. Is that what this could be? Any suggestions.

Merci,

francis-froggie

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Hello again Froggie,

Yes the guide on the forums is the correct one, your TV model number is a Mitsubishi WD-82842 and that guide was made for replacing that lamp model number 915B455011. So to answer your first question, the bulb also known as 915B455A11, that you replaced could have contained dangerous chemicals (like Krypton-85) if this was not a genuine Philips bulb. Many bootleg bulbs are used with cheaper materials, so I guess my question would be if the last time you replaced a lamp, did you do so with a Philips original bulb? Please take a moment to learn more about Generic Lamps on the link below:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2012/05/25/consumer-alert-the-dangers-of-generic-lamps/

Now that your TV is up and running, I am reading about the white dots on the screen you are describing. This is very doubtfully caused by the colorwheel. Most of the times we get white dots on a screen, like a snowy haze that actually grows/reproduces over time and gradually takes over the screen. This is most likely the DMD chip and this is a fairly more expensive part of your TV but it is also a common problem. Unfortunately I cannot find the DMD chip model number, I am going to do some research into this, in the meantime there is a link to a video on how to replace the DMD shared by a fellow board member below:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10889

Please take a look at it and let me know if this is something you would feel comfortable doing, there is no heavy lifting just careful following steps and connections so you can put it back together as it was.

froggie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby froggie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello grayfox,

I looked over the guides and watched a You Tube video someone suggested on this post:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10889&p=1903197#p1903197

That one was good but it was missing how to take everything out of the TV.

Do you have any You Tube videos I could watch. Your guide is good but I think I would feel more comfortable watching a video (well truthfully, it is for my wife to watch as well so she stops being nervous that I broke the TV).

Is there a video for the Mitsubishi WD-82842 DMD replacement?

My wife always wants to know if we will need to replace the Mitsubishi WD-82842 colour wheel as well. She says maybe is it the domino effect. You replace one thing and everything else goes. I don't want to by a replacement TV so any help is appreciated.

Can I order the DMD chip from Discount Merchant as well? Would they help with the installation? They were very encouraging when I called to order the replacement lamp. Is there a cheaper place to buy it? Sorry for all the questions. I promise my wife the TV will be ready for the Oscars.

Merci beaucoup

Froggie

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello Froggie,

I emailed a contact that works on these videos because I am sure I sent a petition for one during last years Superbowl , they should be getting back to me soon with a link to the video. If you remember the lights went out during the Super Bowl game and many people watching it on projectors or RPTVs got a scare!

About the "domino effect" this is usually a safe assumption, and I have seen it happen, but never beginning with the end. That is usually with people I have helped, it goes something like a blub, then the ballast fails, the colorwheel shatters, maybe a board or two will go out like the Digital Video board and then finally they would get a DMD board issue. All this over the course of some time not at once.

I think you are safe for now if you are not seeing any colored shades or shadows on your DLP screen.

Of course, since it is relatively easy DIY fix and this is a consumable part (meaning it will most likely fail at some point in the RPTV's lifespan) I could help you locate the proper part, however I would need a part number off the actual Colorwheel itself. Here is a guide on how to get to a Samsung colorwheel, I hope it is of some help sinche all DLPs are setup in the same order. If the DMD is going to be replaced, you might want to begin pulling it apart anyways, there is nothing to cut or solder, everything is plug and play!

I will get you that DMD video as soon as I get it!

Cheers!

Return to “Forum Feedback”